Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resto shaman/dk... isthisreallife.jpg

This is the most ridiculous comp I've ever seen. Having played a lot of 2s, I’ve seen plenty of stupid faceroll junk. Resto/dk easily takes the cake. I can’t believe how op a pillar humping shaman and a frost dk can be.

As a mage, this seems 100% impossible to beat. If I went on the shaman, he ran away until I snagged him and would get him to <50%, and then he would use a few coolies, got out of it and pillar hump again while the dk sat my priest. If I even started casting a ring or sheep, the shaman or dk would silence (with a retarded long spell lockout), or simply focus grip me to interrupt (lol skill). When I switched DK, he switched to me and he and the shaman then locked out every sheep/ring, and he was near impossible to peel. All of this, while the shaman continued to run around in circles on the pillar, and would pop out once he had a few cd’s up, and then duck back again. The game ended up lasting 10 minutes, which just makes me even more frustrated that we weren’t able to do anything substantial the whole game. How does one get a cast off on a pillaring shaman or a dk that is smashing you in the face? Short of playing some type of cleave, how the hell are you supposed to beat this?

The comp is annoying, but from your description it sounds like they outclassed you completely. Step up your game rather than crying for nerfs.

Frost DKs have very little mobility and the shamans cleanse is an 8s cd, if you cant get some range and pressure the dk between cleanses you are a poor player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    The comp is annoying, but from your description it sounds like they outclassed you completely. Step up your game rather than crying for nerfs.

Frost DKs have very little mobility and the shamans cleanse is an 8s cd, if you cant get some range and pressure the dk between cleanses you are a poor player.
    So at first you said they out classed me. Then you said I'm a poor player. Which one is it? If I could even get some sort of peel happening between silences, interrupts, grounding totems, and spell immunes, I would either eat cc, or get 200k or so dmg out and then immediately get countered again. How does one "play" this better?

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    So at first you said they out classed me. Then you said I'm a poor player. Which one is it? If I could even get some sort of peel happening between silences, interrupts, grounding totems, and spell immunes, I would either eat cc, or get 200k or so dmg out and then immediately get countered again. How does one "play" this better?
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. They outclassed you because you are a poor player. Its not one or the other its both - I thought I made that clear.

You spout their abilities but make no mention of your own. If you cannot put out pressure between their defensive moves you are simply a bad mage.
    Death Grip is a 25s CD and if he's using that to interrupt you as you claim then you can freely blink. With this range you can now act, either damaging or controlling - if you cant fake cast wind shear then just eat it and cast after. Your target should be the dk for damage and shaman for control. You are presumably not fighting a 2v1 so one assumes your partner will do something as well - you don't mention him at all (I guess it makes it sound more ridiculous when you describe it like a 2v1)

Focus on improving your play rather than whining on a forum and getting angry at me because I state the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. They outclassed you because you are a poor player. Its not one or the other its both - I thought I made that clear.

You spout their abilities but make no mention of your own. If you cannot put out pressure between their defensive moves you are simply a bad mage.
    Death Grip is a 25s CD and if he's using that to interrupt you as you claim then you can freely blink. With this range you can now act, either damaging or controlling - if you cant fake cast wind shear then just eat it and cast after. Your target should be the dk for damage and shaman for control. You are presumably not fighting a 2v1 so one assumes your partner will do something as well - you don't mention him at all (I guess it makes it sound more ridiculous when you describe it like a 2v1)

Focus on improving your play rather than whining on a forum and getting angry at me because I state the obvious.

Allow me to attempt to keep this civil, despite my questions being dubbed whining (have you read any of the other threads on this forum? You may want to just delete your account). When I sat the DK, he sat me. Now, how do I control a shaman that's hiding behind a pillar. If I try to chase him down, I'll be running in circles all day and not doing any damage to the dk as you suggested. If I sit on the DK from distance, shaman will pop out of the other side of the pillar and heal straight through it until more silences, grips, and cc's are up. Please make your criticism of me getting "outclassed" (which btw, typically means their classes just hard counter mine, not to be mistaken with "outplayed", which you also suggested was the same thing) a little more realistic. Ty

Allow me to attempt to keep this civil, despite my questions being dubbed whining (have you read any of the other threads on this forum? You may want to just delete your account). When I sat the DK, he sat me. Now, how do I control a shaman that's hiding behind a pillar. If I try to chase him down, I'll be running in circles all day and not doing any damage to the dk as you suggested. If I sit on the DK from distance, shaman will pop out of the other side of the pillar and heal straight through it until more silences, grips, and cc's are up. Please make your criticism of me getting "outclassed" (which btw, typically means their classes just hard counter mine, not to be mistaken with "outplayed", which you also suggested was the same thing) a little more realistic. Ty
    Still fighting an imaginary 2v1 I see. Google "outclassed definition".
    Other than that your post is just more whine, I have tried to make some suggestions which I think are at a level you can understand and you just ignore my attempts to help you - clearly I am wasting my time so i'll just tell you what you want to hear.

"My god you are right, there was nothing you can do blizzard needs to nerf these classes right away - how could I be so blind"

That help champ?

Your only real chance is trying to kill the Shaman. Build your entire playstyle against DK/Sham around that.

You've got a lot of CC (a lot of can and will be broken by all their fear and cc breaks). You'll have to force as much as you can with baby pressure before popping everything into the Shaman with cross CC on DK and trying to nuke him down in deep>cs with dispels from priest.

It's a hard matchup for sure, not impossible, but definitely 100 times harder for you than them.

your strat is all wrong versing them then. Change it up. also have your priest play more offensively, fear bombing, psyfiend or roots to force them to pop cds when they dont want to. try forcing the dk to chase you. fearing/rooting the shaman far away force the dk to los the pillar from his healer, when he runs to heal his dk instant poly when he pops out into a fear bomb to set up long cc chain on him. focus the target that doesnt have earth shield will also force the shaman to put it on whoever needs heals burning his mana quick, kill his totems asap. this comp should actualy be fairly simple for a priest/mage. im no where near a 2700 rated player but at first galnce that's just some thing i would try before saying either one of those classes are currently op.

Quote Originally Posted by liljc711 View Post
    your strat is all wrong versing them then. Change it up. also have your priest play more offensively, fear bombing, psyfiend or roots to force them to pop cds when they dont want to. try forcing the dk to chase you. fearing/rooting the shaman far away force the dk to los the pillar from his healer, when he runs to heal his dk instant poly when he pops out into a fear bomb to set up long cc chain on him. focus the target that doesnt have earth shield will also force the shaman to put it on whoever needs heals burning his mana quick, kill his totems asap. this comp should actualy be fairly simple for a priest/mage. im no where near a 2700 rated player but at first galnce that's just some thing i would try before saying either one of those classes are currently op.
    It'd be easier just to spellsteal or dispel the earthshield/riptides than swap every time. I'd also say Dominate Mind is probably better than Psyfiend vs that comp. The DK will just kill it in one hit, or lichborne/desecrate/tremor the fear. Dominate Mind will be helpful for the Mage when he's going for a kill on the other target.

Thanks Snuggli. That was 1000 times more helpful than that other guy getting mad about me whining. I did notice during the 10 minute fight it definitely was the only real chance by going shaman hard when there was a tiny opportunity. (I could get him ~50% until coolies, so if I could catch him in the same place without them maybe it would work).

Thanks Snuggli. That was 1000 times more helpful than that other guy getting mad about me whining. I did notice during the 10 minute fight it definitely was the only real chance by going shaman hard when there was a tiny opportunity. (I could get him ~50% until coolies, so if I could catch him in the same place without them maybe it would work).
    Maybe Chestbrah's answers weren't really polite, but at a basic level he is right.
    There are many comps that are better in 2s than shaman/dk (even more because he wasn't even unholy) and mage/disc is one of them . Mage/Disc is probably one of the top 3 2on2 comps overall.
    So actually you really have to learn 2 play - just not in the negative sense. DK in 2s is pretty much faceroll, you can't do too much wrong. With mage/priest it's not that easy. You have to time your cc's so you force at least one def cd every time you start to nuke. Sooner or later they will be out of def cds and you win. So you should just work on your cc rotations. If your disc is free (you said the dk is damaging you) and you can't force the shaman to come into your line of sight (by either fearing him - he can't tremor every fear - or damaging the dk so he has to heal) it's really your fault and has nothing to do with the comp.

Make sure they are really far from each other other then that, step up your game.

a mage whining about a dk comp

"insert apocalypse coming meme here"

Infracted.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-24 at 08:33 PM.

DK is going to mongo your priest. If shaman is pillar humping, have your priest pull the dk to the other edge of the map, and make the shaman come out. From there you can poly/ring the shaman and force pressure.

A mage can solo a DK in deep/blanket (silencing a dk prevents most of his defensives) while the shaman sits in a poly/ring. Deep is a shorter cd than any defensives that team has.

DK can solo your priest, so you need to sit on the dk. I disagree with Snuggli, because a dk will solo a priest much faster than a mage will solo a shaman. Plus dk can peel better without losing pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, keep it civil please, there's no need to become hostile.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then attack the DK. Stop trying to focus kill a healer in 2's. He's going to kite you if you aren't on top of your game. Just kill the DK, and CC the shammy when he pops his head out.

Deleted
    This thread is funny, I especially like the "fear the shaman" part.

My best advice would be to stop playing 2's. There's a reason there's no rewards for doing it at high level.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    This thread is funny, I especially like the "fear the shaman" part.
    Well if he's trying to win 2's he should be doing it with a resto druid anyway, but yeah, tremor is pretty insane right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I recommend CC'ing the shaman and killing the DK actually.

Void Tendrils or Dominate Mind definitely - between Void Tendrils and Frost Novas that DK should be pretty much useless (frost dks are melee toons where unholy is half-melee / half-ranged), but just remember that whenever he's standing around in roots his runes are regenerating - so when he gets back on target he's going to be Obliterate spamming which will seriously hurt.

Dominate Mind will put more pressure on you to protect your Priest, and for that it's a higher skill cap choice - but it's the stronger choice ultimately. Dominate Mind will let your team extend their control of the Shaman via Counterspell->Poly->Poly->Circle of Frost->Dominate Mind->Fear, I recommend only 2 poly's because it's your damage and control that is needed on the DK to score the kill, the third poly only buys you a single additional GCD so its better to just drop Circle of Frost on them and go back to killing the DK. You can't leave the DK on a priest, he's functionally immune to fears (like warriors, 30 second on psy scream vs. so many fear breaks/immunities on such short cooldowns it doesn't work versus him) - but if that priest can Dominate Mind->run the sham into melee->Fear - every second CC cycle will land (Tremor will break every second CC cycles Fear, but if you don't use it on cooldown it will never land at all).

As a frost mage, your job is largely control - and occasionally massive WTF-damage spikes - so you need to get comfortable enough with your CC chains to know when and how to burst when you get a window - for example that CC chain above should probably look more like this, per GCD:

Counterspell (Sham)

Spellsteal(if there is anything worth stealing on either)

Poly (Sham)
    *priest can pop Mindbender and/or Atonement the DK with Penance/Smite etc*
    Frost Bomb (DK)
    Deep Freeze (DK)
    Frost Bolt (DK)
    Ice Lance (DK)

Poly (Sham)

Frost Nova (DK)
    Frost Bolt (DK)
    Ice Lance (DK)

Ring of Frost (Sham)

*priest should move into position to Dominate Mind the Sham*
    Frost Bolt (DK)
    Ice Lance (DK)
    FoF procs w/e (DK)

Dominate Mind (Sham)

Pet Nova (DK)
    Frost Bolt (DK)
    Ice Lance (DK)
    *priest should walk the MC'd sham into melee range of himself*

Fear (Sham)

8 more seconds of tunnelling DK etc

If they survive all that, that's fine - just keep the DK off the priest for ~10 seconds with poly's if you have to (try not to waste deep freeze or novas though because you want those for shatters), then all your burst (Deep Freeze, Frost Bombs, etc) and CC DR and CDs (Counterspell, Poly, Psychic Scream) will be reset - and do it again.

Expect them to blow everything they have to get through that, expect them to trinket your CC chain to save the DK or stop the shatters, expect them to AMS - but also know that everytime you get those trinkets and IBFs and AMS's, that's something they aren't going to have the next time around. Once you get the hang of it there is really no reason an Fmage/Disc should ever lose in 2v2 unless you guys fight like... Rogue/Fmage or Rogue/Hunter and die in their opener (which is a real thing in 2s).

Good Luck
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter