Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I would say the biggest issue is WOW not attracting new subs in asia.
    I'm not sure it's atttacting many new subs anywhere.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    They didn't. Guy you quoted isn't really accurate. I'm curious how they went back to WoTLK design. I mean..In WoTLK you raided a PUGGED 25-m content and got gear. I remember an alt I never raided on had full T10 by the end of ICCs run. The fact you need a reputation with all these factions to even look at the gear (over-exaggeration obv) shows it's nothing like WoTLK. If this was Wrath I could have the latest tier on my alt without ever stepping foot in a raid.
    QFT. mop is nothing like wOTLK.

I'm curious to the subscribers. My WoW accounts are inactive at the moment but I still follow the game once and while and love the original storylines. [Waiting for a legion expack ]

I'll estimate a steady decline, around 300k, every conference call for the rest of it's days until it levels out at ~1mil and hovers there for a decade at least like Everquest 1 (500k subs).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm curious to the subscribers. My WoW accounts are inactive at the moment but I still follow the game once and while and love the original storylines. [Waiting for a legion expack ]

I'll estimate a steady decline, around 300k, every conference call for the rest of it's days until it levels out at ~1mil and hovers there for a decade at least like Everquest 1 (500k subs).
    I do not think blizzard would bother keeping servers open at that point

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    The Wow servers will never close.

The games too big and there will always be people wanting to play it. Whether Blizzard is the company in charge is questionable. Basically Wow cannot ever die cos its too big and has too many fans. It can however decline into a much smaller playerbase, which is exactly whats been happening the past couple of years.

I think they will keep some servers online "forever". At some point they will announce that they will not develop new content anymore and then switch the game into free to play for those who will sub to Titan or whichever other Blizzard game. But WoW will not permanently die as long as Blizzard will be alive. They will keep few servers in suspended animation to honor the game's legacy. At least that is what I would expect from Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    The Wow servers will never close.

The games too big and there will always be people wanting to play it. Whether Blizzard is the company in charge is questionable. Basically Wow cannot ever die cos its too big and has too many fans. It can however decline into a much smaller playerbase, which is exactly whats been happening the past couple of years.
    No game rules forever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Oh, yeah.

I can't wait for the forum, which is basically the only part of the community that cares and is only 1 or 2% of the populace, to explode with arguments because apparently sub numbers affect how they play a game.

I miss the days where people would simply enjoy the game instead of making a soap opera out of it.
    You can't rule out that declining game population does affect individual experiences, BUT, it depends on your circumstances.

If you're on a small server, it's going to get smaller, you're going to see transfers, disbands, bad economy, etc. - whilst big bad servers won't even flinch at the thought of losing a couple hundred folks, and life goes on for them.

No game rules forever
    Coming right before Cataclysm, the irony of that cutscene in retrospect is too much for me lol.

Why not? Everquest is still running fine. And Blizzard has proved that they like to keep their old games alive. In fact, I believe that the D2 ladder is receiving it's regular ladder reset this week. And they upgraded their "legacy games" servers as recent as last year. No matter how many people scream at the top of their lungs about how WoW is dying/dead, it'll stay up for quite a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Why not? Everquest is still running fine. And Blizzard has proved that they like to keep their old games alive. In fact, I believe that the D2 ladder is receiving it's regular ladder reset this week. And they upgraded their "legacy games" servers as recent as last year. No matter how many people scream at the top of their lungs about how WoW is dying/dead, it'll stay up for quite a while.
    But in the same breath they also scream that other various games, that aren't WoW - have died. Even tho, they also continue to run.

The hypocrisy is at times, pretty hilarious.

Deleted
    Tremble mortals, before the coming of those lost subs numbers. ~1,5m

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Coming right before Cataclysm, the irony of that cutscene in retrospect is too much for me lol.
    ...and now you know why I chose my Sig. ^_^

---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
    Tremble mortals, before the coming of those lost subs numbers. ~1,5m
    even I doubt it will be anything over 500k... let alone 1 million.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    But in the same breath they also scream that other various games, that aren't WoW - have died. Even tho, they also continue to run.

The hypocrisy is at times, pretty hilarious.
    Yep that makes me lol too

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    after 8 years of wow, 7 of which i played actively, i am ready for the next big thing, i don't want wow anymore, i want more. I want next gen MMO, be it by blizzard or others, don't care.

But for this to happen wow need to lose massive sub, as long as the formula is profitable, the genre will not evolve to the next stage. So i wait. In the mean times, tons of great single player game out there.

how long after the call does the info get released?
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Is it suppose to happen today?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    how long after the call does the info get released?
    It gets released during the call. The transcript of the call, if that's what you're asking, is usually available within 24 hours.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    Is it suppose to happen today?
    tomorrow at 1

I don't know why, but I'm always very interested in the numbers. I'm almost obsessed with it and I count down the days until they're released and then I hang on the forums until someone drops the info. I think I use it as a marker, to see how many people agree with me on their feelings for the game but actually have the will power to quit.

It's almost as if I want the game to fail. I get so disappointed when they make constant changes and I have to relearn my class every xpac, and often times every other patch.
    I also hate the healing model introduced in Cata. I will never understand why they want healers to run out of mana but every caster class short of an arcane mage hovers at 90% mana for an entire fight.

I hate Greg Street. I hate what he's done to my favorite game. I hate that Blizzard hired someone that doesn't listen to people or spreadsheets and just pops off with "We disagree" or "We don't see it that way." To me, he might as well say "I'll decide what fun is for you."

I've played the game since 1.1, right before Mauradon came out, and I've raided almost every tier since then. To me, the best time I ever had was in ICC. Turns out, that's when WoW had the most subscriptions. Why don't they learn and just go back to that? I know I would play more. Unlike now, where I log in Tuesday and Thursday to raid, and then one day a week to grind dailies to get coins to use them and get more gold.

I truly feel I would punch GC in the mouth if I ever met him. His ideas of fun do not match what people want, and it's evident based on the sub losses since Wrath.

I suppose I care too much about something that's trivial in the grand scheme of things. I take it personally and I know that's not logical. But how can I not get upset when WoW is the longest thing I've ever done in my life?

My prediction, and hope, is a substantial loss in subs. I feel that is the only thing that would wake people up on the business end, and perhaps return things to the days when things were fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    We shall see tommrow