Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
... LastLast
  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Yet they still lost subs over the first quarter of the expansion during a Christmas period no less.
    They said that was mostly (entirely?) in Asia.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome." -- Samuel Johnson

  2. #402
    Immortal Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    7,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Yet they still lost subs over the first quarter of the expansion during a Christmas period no less. Now the new stuff has worn out, people have done the raids finished the new content and dead servers are still driving people away from the game.

    I see nothing which would indicate the subs will stay/rise from where they currently are.
    New raids haven't been finished, there is a few who have done 13/13 HC ToT.

    If you like it or not, 5,2 has been amazing.
    And First Quarter US/EU didn't lose any subscribers, China lost them.
    So yes i see reason to let it stay the same amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  3. #403
    Merely a Setback det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    27,559
    The news about that huge MMO in China and the constant threads about low pop realms make me go "...ya got mah attention"

  4. #404
    Expecting losses tbh, just for the simple thing of the game advancing and PVP not really being in a much better position than 5.0. Hoping they actually mention something to do with EU/US Server Merges, seen as though there are way too many dead or dying realms now. Also would be nice for me, given that I did one Server Transfer today and am currently looking at another three in the next two weeks or so.

    RIP The Mythic Dream

  5. #405
    Legendary! Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    6,650
    Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    i really hope they announce how they will combat low population, there is less than 30 players of each class at level 90 online at any given time... you can well say that there are less than 300 lvl 90 players in my realm -.-

    hopefully they do merge servers, with the amount of players i see online i do expect a 500k sub loss at least.
    The investors, who the call is for, probably dont give a damn about combatting low population... they care about the financial performance of the company (which is what the call will be about)

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  6. #406
    Over 9000! Shampro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Crucible
    Posts
    9,142
    I predict this thread will reach the 50 - 60 mark in about an hour after the call. Because people care too much about it.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    The investors, who the call is for, probably dont give a damn about combatting low population... they care about the financial performance of the company (which is what the call will be about)
    That all depends on if low population servers generate more cash via "forced" payed transfers or retaining subscribers. Right now the company just wants to milk what they have but eventually it will dry up and they will wish they had retained the greater numbers at an earlier stage before they got bored and went elsewhere.

  8. #408
    Legendary! Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    6,650
    Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    I only hope for subs to go down so Ghostcrawler will finally get fired. The guy just does not know what he is doing if you read his tweets and hasn't since WOTLK
    I hardly think GC will get fired over Subs... Sorry, but keep praying... maybe one of the Old Gods will hear you.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  9. #409
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    New raids haven't been finished, there is a few who have done 13/13 HC ToT.

    If you like it or not, 5,2 has been amazing.
    And First Quarter US/EU didn't lose any subscribers, China lost them.
    So yes i see reason to let it stay the same amount.
    Yup - I mean it's like...Chineese subs - so what? I mean - it's not like they're humans with feelings and ideas of their own or are capable of forming their own opinion. Unlike us Westerners and Europeans - who are the only ones who count as real human beings.

    (/sarcasm)

    PS. If somebody here says "But they have a different subscription pay model!" - I'll print out this post, fold it into a paper airplane, and throw it just over your head....

  10. #410
    Immortal Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    7,587
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yup - I mean it's like...Chineese subs - so what? I mean - it's not like they're humans with feelings and ideas of their own or are capable of forming their own opinion. Unlike us Westerners and Europeans - who are the only ones who count as real human beings.

    (/sarcasm)

    PS. If somebody here says "But they have a different subscription pay model!" - I'll print out this post, fold it into a paper airplane, and throw it just over your head....
    We don't live in China, Why should we bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

  11. #411
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I hardly think GC will get fired over Subs... Sorry, but keep praying... maybe one of the Old Gods will hear you.
    ...that's like saying "A manager won't be fired over a continual loss of sales".

    If there is a massive and long enough loss - you bet they'll replace his ass!

    I mean, hell, look at Diablo III - by most PC game standards its box sales were AWESOME - and yet they immediately shuffled Jay Wilson off to another project before they even GOT a replacement for him after the mass exodus of players from the game and, subsequently, the expected RMAH sales plummeted. You don't shuffle off the main guy who's responsible for a successful project 2 months AFTER its release if it really met their expectations.

    But, again, on topic - I must reiterate that I don't believe the sub loss will be anything major either this quarter. 200-400k subs tops IMO...
    Last edited by mvallas; 2013-05-08 at 04:38 PM.

  12. #412
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I do not think blizzard would bother keeping servers open at that point
    They might not keep ALL of the servers online at that point, but they most certainly would still have several up and running. Even as few as a few hundred thousand subs is enough to sustain a moderately updated/maintained MMO. I would expect that they'd give in and combine servers much like MMOs in the past have done and would cut the dev team significantly, but there would still be access available to subscribers.

    Eve Online, for example, is a pretty substantial sub-based MMO that only has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300k subs, yet still releases expansions and updates within reasonable intervals.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2013-05-08 at 04:38 PM.

  13. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    We don't live in China, Why should we bother?
    /throws paper airplane printout over your head.

  14. #414
    Legendary! Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    6,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    That all depends on if low population servers generate more cash via "forced" payed transfers or retaining subscribers. Right now the company just wants to milk what they have but eventually it will dry up and they will wish they had retained the greater numbers at an earlier stage before they got bored and went elsewhere.
    I've been a stockholder in the company since 2008, I didn't start playing till 2010... the performance of the company isn't going down. Guess what I care more about the game or the company? The company is more than just one game title (Warcraft). I acknowledge your disgust based on an unproven claim. It is my personal opinion that un and ill-informed malcontents such as yourself are more damaging to the game than low population servers.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  15. #415
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    That all depends on if low population servers generate more cash via "forced" payed transfers or retaining subscribers. Right now the company just wants to milk what they have but eventually it will dry up and they will wish they had retained the greater numbers at an earlier stage before they got bored and went elsewhere.
    Now THAT'S always something I've wanted to see... how much money they make on Transfers - particularly during the Wintergrasp days back in Wrath.

    It still bothers me that they expect YOU to individually pay extra to fix THEIR problem...

  16. #416
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I've been a stockholder in the company since 2008, I didn't start playing till 2010... the performance of the company isn't going down. Guess what I care more about the game or the company? The company is more than just one game title (Warcraft). I acknowledge your disgust based on an unproven claim. It is my personal opinion that un and ill-informed malcontents such as yourself are more damaging to the game than low population servers.
    uninformed with regards to what? The title is one based on speculation with reference to subscription numbers. Not once have I disputed the companies profitability merely their intentions towards the world of warcraft franchise and the implications this has/is having on the trend of recurring subscriptions.

    Warcraft is losing subs yet maintaining profitability, one can only assume the "micro-transactions" with mounts/pets/server transfers are paying off well. In the long term however as subscriber numbers continue to decline, those the company can siphon cash from are going to dwindle away. If the company insists on neglecting it's product with regards to world of warcraft they are just going to decrease it's lifetime and as such it's long term profit from the franchise.

    I just don't see why when there is a way to ensure a product stays healthier and more profitable for longer it is not done?
    Last edited by Jeleh; 2013-05-08 at 05:02 PM.

  17. #417
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,995
    quick reminder

    May 08, 2013 at 1:30 PM PT Activision Blizzard First Quarter Calendar 2013 Results Conference Call http://investor.activision.com/events.cfm

  18. #418
    Legendary! Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    6,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    uninformed with regards to what? The title is one based on speculation with regards to subscription numbers. Not once have I disputed the companies profitability merely their intentions towards the world of warcraft franchise and the implications this has/is having on the trend of recurring subscriptions.

    Warcraft is losing subs yet maintaining profitability, one can only assume the "micro-transactions" with mounts/pets/server transfers are paying off well. In the long term however as subscriber numbers continue to decline, those the company can siphon cash from are going to dwindle away. If the company insists on neglecting it's product with regards to world of warcraft they are just going to decrease it's lifetime.
    No... the title is quite clear about 'predictions for the Q1 Call' no where in the title does it say subscriptions, or, did I miss it? One title losing subs doesn't mean Blizzard is going to lose money, your statement belies the misconception you hold that you believe Warcraft is the only source of income for Blizzard... however, its not. Neglecting their product? Perhaps you've been oblivious to the speed at which content is being pushed to live... Oh wait, you dont care about that, do you?

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  19. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    No... the title is quite clear about 'predictions for the Q1 Call' no where in the title does it say subscriptions, or, did I miss it? One title losing subs doesn't mean Blizzard is going to lose money, your statement belies the misconception you hold that you believe Warcraft is the only source of income for Blizzard... however, its not. Neglecting their product? Perhaps you've been oblivious to the speed at which content is being pushed to live... Oh wait, you dont care about that, do you?
    Will you give it a rest?! You know full well what the main talking point of this thread will be, if you wish to discuss your investment and the financial performance of ATVI might I suggest a forum that is dedicated to stocks and shares rather than spending your time attacking people on a gaming forum.

  20. #420
    Titan Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,386
    I got my popcorn, lawnchairs & sunglasses already to watch the show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Age of Wushu released... which has completely murdered WoW subscriptions in Asia by now.

    Age of Wushu became the world's biggest mmo release with 20 million VIP subscribers in China alone, twice as many subscribers as WoW ever had and still growing. Same game recently released internationally about a month or so ago, but didn't quite catch on in the west as badly as it did in the east.
    Age of Wushu came out on April 10, 2013, these sub numbers are from Jan 1st to March 31st 2013. Any damage wont be seen until Q2 2013.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Q1 Prediction....

    WoW will have lost a lot of subscribers in the east because of a smash hit MMO that released there ...
    Is Age of Wishu P2P, B2P or F2P in Asia?, I know its F2P here in NA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Yet they still lost subs over the first quarter of the expansion during a Christmas period no less. Now the new stuff has worn out, people have done the raids finished the new content and dead servers are still driving people away from the game.

    I see nothing which would indicate the subs will stay/rise from where they currently are.
    You do realize these numbers are from Jan 1st - March 31st and they are more likely already outta date by now.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-05-08 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    TL;DR: Did raiding kill WoW? Nope. But catering the game to people who clearly shouldn't be playing it did.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •