Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Stating that the mmorpg industry changed from being a subscription based one to a free to play industry HAS an impact on WoW subscriptions.

As such it CONTIBUTES to the thread.

It is odd to think that a changing industry to free to play as standard would not have had an impact on WoW subscriptions.

But go on, you amuse me. Because the mmo market changed from 16 million subs of which WoW had 11.5 ... to 11 miilion of which WoW has 9+ million...

I don't see the derail by giving the changed situation in which WoW has to OPERATE to obtain those subs ...
    All of which has nothing to do with the topic that was being discussed before you starting derailing the thread.

Oh and where is the supposedly easy to find information about the income that WOW generates? You said it was easy to find but you have yet to provide us with a source.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Oh and where is the supposedly easy to find information about the income that WOW generates? You said it was easy to find but you have yet to provide us with a source.
    Grab calculator, press some buttons.

Income = a shitload, just from subs alone. Speculation would require hard numbers on how much they bring in due to transfers, name changes, race changes, pet sales, merch sales, etc.

It's fairly mind blowing that anyone in this company could ever say "we don't have the manpower to do _____" with a straight face.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Checking my old realm using that...there's more level 90 Blood Elves than there are level 90 Alliance....*sadface*

As to the prediction - worst case scenario, 600k loss, mostly in the Asian market. More likely either stable or a minor 100k drop across all markets.
    They've been having trouble keeping up since MoP, they're not a reliable source IMO anymore.
    You don't create "justice" by destroying. That includes buildings, cars, or the careers of the people you want "justice" for.

Well I think subs may take a 600k dip in asia

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Grab calculator, press some buttons.

Income = a shitload, just from subs alone. Speculation would require hard numbers on how much they bring in due to transfers, name changes, race changes, pet sales, merch sales, etc.

It's fairly mind blowing that anyone in this company could ever say "we don't have the manpower to do _____" with a straight face.
    The income is a lot, but it is nowhere near the billions when you take into account that Chinese don't pay a normal subscription, and pay far less a month than EU and US does. Even if 10 million people payed their 15 dollars a month you still only get 600 million per quarter, which is probably vastly overstated. They make a lot, sure. But basic math alone proves that making over a billion off WoW per quarter is almost completely unreasonable. (also remember it will be less as well due to discounts for paying multiple months and so on)

Stating that the mmorpg industry changed from being a subscription based one to a free to play industry HAS an impact on WoW subscriptions.

As such it CONTRIBUTES to the thread.

It is odd to think that a changing industry to free to play as standard would not have had an impact on WoW subscriptions.

But go on, you amuse me. Because the mmo market changed from 16 million subs of which WoW had 11.5 ... to 11 miilion of which WoW has 9+ million...

I don't see the derail by giving the changed situation in which WoW has to OPERATE to obtain those subs ...
    Free to play games can compete with WoW because WoW is so old.

I think Wow will continue to decline at the same rate - 4 sub/min. I.e. loss of one sub every 15 sec = 500k subs loss per quarter. This Q1 call is very meanfull, cuz it will be the turning point: will this game continue becoming asian-grind-pokemon-style game or we will have a hope, it will turn to it's normal direction, as this happened in Cata.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    They've been having trouble keeping up since MoP, they're not a reliable source IMO anymore.
    It's not the first place for population information to support the comparison, and it's a fact that US-Thrall turned seriously Horde heavy a while back (near the end of Wrath, if I recall). Used to be a mostly balanced server...now we have 5 total Alliance guilds in the top 120 on the server (top two are 30 and 40 respectively, with the next showing up at 109). Was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment, though...when I last played with any regularity (early to mid-Cata) you could barely turn one way or the other without bumping into another Blood Elf. Was a bit of a game between my friends and I at the time...spot the non-Belf horde player.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    The income is a lot, but it is nowhere near the billions when you take into account that Chinese don't pay a normal subscription, and pay far less a month than EU and US does. Even if 10 million people payed their 15 dollars a month you still only get 600 million per quarter, which is probably vastly overstated. They make a lot, sure. But basic math alone proves that making over a billion off WoW per quarter is almost completely unreasonable. (also remember it will be less as well due to discounts for paying multiple months and so on)

You got it right the 15$ per user formula was always a fluke.
    They do not receive 15$ subscription fees for each player even in the states.

But almost one fifth of the average earnings are compromised of newly released expansion sales.
    Add to that regular box and expansion sales.
    Add to that my little pony and other cash shop sales.
    Add to that the paid character transfer goldmine created from keeping and recommending dead server.

At the end they speak of yearly earnings. Not quarterly. It never has been billions. Over a billion yes, but not multiple billion.
    We seriously need a sticky tutorial for this kind of topic just explaining and reminding of the basic facts,
    because everyone keeps making the same mistakes over and over again, repeating the same arguments every 3 months anew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarishflar
    we encountered a few issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarishflar
    we ran into a few other issues

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    I think Wow will continue to decline at the same rate - 4 sub/min. I.e. loss of one sub every 15 sec = 500k subs loss per quarter. This Q1 call is very meanfull, cuz it will be the turning point: will this game continue becoming asian-grind-pokemon-style game or we will have a hope, it will turn to it's normal direction, as this happened in Cata.
    agreed. I think the decline will keep going

Mild Sub increase really... For most part I think MoP is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No this topic is asking what is your predictions for the first quater results not how much revenue they have made from it.
    How is discussing revenue NOT relevant to the thread title? it does say 'What's your prediction for the Q1 call' right? The title is asking for predictions... poster was discussing something that invariably will be MORE relevant to the investors than the subscription numbers of but one of ATVI's income streams.

If anything, he's the one more on topic.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    How is discussing revenue NOT relevant to the thread title? it does say 'What's your prediction for the Q1 call' right? The title is asking for predictions... poster was discussing something that invariably will be MORE relevant to the investors than the subscription numbers of but one of ATVI's income streams.

If anything, he's the one more on topic.
    For starters this is the WOW section of the forums so it is likely that the thread is relevant to the performance of WOW and not Activison-Blizzard as a whole. Also, everyone else that has posted has seemed to get that this thread is about sub numbers. In order for anyone to accurately predict the revenue of WOW we would need to know the breakdown of subs per region, what payment periods they use, have access to sales data of MOP, have figures on transfers and other value added services and know how many COD elite subscriptions there are none of the figures are publicly available.

Whilst what the poster was discussing might have more relevance to an investor it has none to this thread. I can only suggest that if you wish to discuss in depth the financial performance of ATVI there are websites dedicated to such topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    For starters this is the WOW section of the forums so it is likely that the thread is relevant to the performance of WOW and not Activison-Blizzard as a whole. Also, everyone else that has posted has seemed to get that this thread is about sub numbers. In order for anyone to accurately predict the revenue of WOW we would need to know the breakdown of subs per region, what payment periods they use, have access to sales data of MOP, have figures on transfers and other value added services and know how many COD elite subscriptions there are none of the figures are publicly available.

Whilst what the poster was discussing might have more relevance to an investor it has none to this thread. I can only suggest that if you wish to discuss in depth the financial performance of ATVI there are websites dedicated to such topics.
    Then perhaps the thread title should reflect it... perhaps, 'what is your prediction for the sub number?' Hmmm? just a thought.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Then perhaps the thread title should reflect it... perhaps, 'what is your prediction for the sub number?' Hmmm? just a thought.
    Well most people seemed to get what the thread was about I suppose there is always going to be the odd person that doesn't.

Sub loss for sure maybe 400k.

Unlike some people though I don't think this is because OMFG MoP and Pandas suck or whatever personal hatred some people have towards WoW.

I think WoW is in the best place it has ever been.

Raiding is really really good just now.

I am a bit scared that they can't produce 3 massive unique tiers in a row (in less time than ever before as well) so am waiting with baited breath to see how SoO turns out.

We are getting content as quick as ever and the content is varied (I must admit I would like some new 5 mans but I don't want them to rain raid quality epics).

I do think people are getting tired of the "MMO grind" though and WoW is 8 years old.

If I think about all the amazing single player games I have missed out on I think I can see their point as well
    Last edited by Quilzar; 2013-05-03 at 11:35 AM.

And quarterly results are ALL about revenue btw. Not about subscriptions, that's a sideshow for stockholders.
    Not when you're having what seems like two expansions straight, with nothing but losses to the player-base.

WoW is ActiBlizzard's biggest, and most successful project.

If it's subscription numbers weren't a point of interest before, I can assure you they're starting to be.
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.

Maybe MMO champion should make an "Armchair Stockbrokers and Doomsayers" forum so that these threads could be kept in one place, preferably out of sight.

Warchief
    Simple; drama and nothing more... The right moment when to say wow is dead when its sub count is at 2m or less, but compared to other MMO's its still alive and I mean EQ still has 500k and yet isnt dead.

EDIT: For the number of subscribers, I think a 100k~200k drop could be reasonable since most of the people I know arent playing wow anymore but again, Im not speaking for the voice of everyone who still plays are quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    WoW is ActiBlizzard's biggest, and most successful project.

the statement stimulate reflection for me. Is it true? can it be true?

Does wow make more money than CoD? CoD sells about 30 millions copy every years, not counting the map pack, the premium... that franchise probably over a billion a year.

Still which is the most profitable, that is profit = income - expenses. CoD or WoW?