So I have two active accounts, and I pay for my girlfriends making it 3.
Now that I have shared that, I would like to say that I try ed a private server for past couple months on top of playing live WoW. It's blizz-like vanilla server with no free gear, no hand outs, and no profit. The only thing that is different about the game is the XP is sped up a bit because we all know how vanilla XP was.
So when i come on here, and see people talking about how amazing it was back then, how awesome it was etc etc... Im thinking to myself well I started in BC I should check this out. So now I have checked it out and all I can say is...
People really need to stop complaining about current WoW and I wish they could experience how freaking shity Vanilla really was.
Few things people need to understand about this amazing time in WoW. ( The server is very populated and it's a fair representation of back then.)
- You don't have NEARLY enough money to buy your spells from the trainers spread out in towns.
- Pick and choose early game to buy what spells you want, most being crap ( old conjure mage food anyone?).
- If you pull more then 3 mobs alone while questing unless you're a hybrid you're going to die.
- No indication of where to go on your map for quest / NO quest helper addon.
- ? and ! are not even on your mini map. Let alone world map.
- Reading quest text, or Google where to go constantly.
-You run out of mana extremely quickly with very poor re-gen ( none of this 100%+ stuff till 20 )
- No mount until level 40, and good luck affording it.
- LFD tool is amazing on live, good luck finding low level dungeons groups late at night let alone them going to the stone.
- Be ready to spend hours to afford enchants / consumables
- Attunements, Attunements, Attunements, on top of that farm certain gear for certain raids. and have insanely long rep grinds.
-No transmorg, everyone has a turban on, mismatched Easter or baby colors, unless you raid end game which people are very picky about who they bring, ( No LFR heroes ) and even a lot of the end game gear is ugly.
-World pvp? Yeah if you die be prepared to run the 10 minute walk. Each zone has ONE GRAVEYARD very FAR away.
-About 10 Flight paths on each side of the world ( no flying mounts ) They take about 10-15 minutes if far.
-Leveling up different weapon skills each time you get a new weapon until you max each one.
-Lower level and want to wear a different weapon then you started with? Hike your ass to a diff capital and buy the weapon skill...
-You made a hunter? Go level that new pet you just trained.
-Want to BG? stay in town, Que up, and sit there.
-Want to do world pvp? Don't kill most NPCS or lose hours and hours of pvp ranking you acquired.
Okay so you made it through all that crap, and you joined the UBRS groups, did ZG, did your molten core, rolled against tons of other people. Finally after months of catching up, of dungeons and early raids. You're ready to enter some end game!
- Spells / Moves? Very scarce and very poorly designed. Mages for example frost has 3 damage moves, cone of cold, frost bolt, and blizzard. Go raid molten and be prepared to spam frost bolt over and over.
- Want to dps a raid and have a spot?? Hopefully you're a Mage/Warlock/Rogue/Warrior/Spriest.
- You're ret/enhance/feral? Better be amazing.
- Want to tank? Be a warrior, and sometimes a druid.
- LFR not being fair with loot? Go roll against 39 other people.
- Oh but raiding was a lot more epic? Nope... the fights are very generic compared to the amazing quality of what we have seen, ICC, ToT, Ulduar, hell even dragon soul has 10x better boss mechanics then 40 man naxx.
-Don't forget tomes of spells ( you know ranks? )better farm some AQ for that extra rank immolate or that other warlock will have a stronger spell then you. ( also roll against the other 9 locks in your raid. ).
-You can even be that shaman who stays out of combat to res the dead!
TL : DR - Vanilla was not great, people need to stop preaching that. <Mod Edit: URL Removed>
You don't even need to play it to see, just read the forums, speaks for itself. Hell look at their talent tree calculator.
Mod Edit: Please don't link or refer people to a private server like this, or anything else which breaks the Blizzard ToS.