Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arrow Struggling with keybinds

So I'm currently a clicker who is try to transition to keybinding. I've had a few attempts at it but given up and gone back to clicking.

At the moment I play a warlock and struggle to move and hit the keybind at the same time.

What I tried as my keybinding was for example:

W-forward
    A- strafe left
    R-strafe right
    1-shadowburn
    2-immolate
    3-incinerate
    4-chaos bolt
    E-conflagrate
    Etc etc

Now to explain what I'm having trouble with..

When casting for example immolate/incinerate(2/3) I struggle to move forward with the w key, when I cast conflagrate(e) I struggle to strafe right(d). My movement is very bad and really doesn't feel comfortable. And I can't really figure out what I may be doing wrong?

Any tips on what I need to change or anything at all really would be much appreciated.

Deleted
    You should use shift-key combinations, ctrl-key combinations and mouse buttons, and q and e for strafing

10+ Year Old Account
    You can move forward by pressing both mouse buttons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    You can move forward by pressing both mouse buttons.
    Precisely this. Also you can rotate the camera if you use this technique

Thanks for the tips!
    What about strafing tho? How do you use the right strafe key( I assume most people use the index finger for this) while for example using the e key? Or do you just not bind to it?

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Deleted
    What's wrong with the standard WASD/ESDF movement keys?

Then you use the core keys next to your index finger for critical actions (E, R, T, F, C under WASD) plus 1-6, Q. Then with Shift, Alt and Ctrl bindings that's another 3 pages of keys, especially if you put one or more of the key modifiers as buttons on your mouse and scroll wheel for spam.

So for movement,

W - forward
    A - left
    S - back (not necessary or even recommended, but since you are totally new it does not hurt)
    D - right.

Of course you can do even better than this. Here are some advanced keybindings considerations:

love2playwowdotcom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZLPzCuejWQ
    Taugrim: http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-...d-keybindings/
    Kripparrian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDjG_0ecTI
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-27 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliggles View Post
    Thanks for the tips!
    What about strafing tho? How do you use the right strafe key( I assume most people use the index finger for this) while for example using the e key? Or do you just not bind to it?

You strafe with the mouse/keys combo, always correcting the camera. I couldn't even tell you which ones, it comes so naturally. I can't imagine moving with keys alone and playing properly.
    So yeah, Q-E-R are free for your spells. Also middle click, scroll up and down adds 3 more binds. Couple those with Shift (since CTRL sucks ass) and you double that number.
    edit: Back IS necessary, you can do small corrections that way instead of wasting more time on moving some other way. Also, kiting with your face.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2013-04-27 at 02:49 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Thanks for the tips!

You move your hand. I usually hit w with my middle or ring finger. A is ring finger. D is pointer. So if I need to strafe + e. It's strafe as usual (pointer) and my idle middle finger (not pushing w) moves to e. If I need to move forward + d + e. Middle finger on e, pointer on d, and both mouse buttons or ring finger on w.
    Last edited by openair; 2013-04-27 at 02:50 PM.

Keybinds are all about what your comfortable with. Playing an array of other games will help you learn this properly - RTS, MOBA's, FPS.

I will list my keybinds for destro that I find comfortable and while it is most likely gonna be different for you, maybe try them out and see how you do. The trick is perseverance and just getting used to keybinds. Where ive put (free keybind for destro, I can put any boss specific macros I need there, its a keybind that I use for afflic/demo)

1- FnB- Shift1- Teleport- CntrlG- Summon Doomguard
    2- Incin- Shift2- Unending Resolve- CntrlX- Create Healthstone
    3- Chaos Bolt- Shift3- Free keybind for destro- CntrlF - Curse of Enfeeblement
    4- Havoc- Shift 4- Beserking- Cntrl1- Fear
    5- Conflag- Shift5 - Burning Rush- Cntrl2- Banish
    6- immolate- AltQ- Ember Tap- Cntrl3 - Portal
    7- felflame- ShiftT- Command Demon- Cntrl4- Healthstone
    8 - Summon Infernal- ShiftX- Soulshatter- CntrlT - Soulstone
    Alt1 - free keybind for my destro spec- ShiftS- Mortal Coil- ShiftE - Drain Life
    Alt2 - Sacrifical Pact- ShiftF- Curse of Elements- F1 - Mouseover Focus macro
    X- Shaodwburn- ShiftH- Twilight Ward- AltX - Potion (Usually just click this even though its keybound:P)
    G- Rain of fire- ShitftD- Dark Soul- `- Free keybind for destro
    Last edited by Chrispotter; 2013-04-27 at 03:01 PM.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Thanks guys, will give it another shot and see how it goes.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clicker here myself, although i still play well, I feel that moving to keybinding will make me a better player.

Making the change is hard though.

Some nice binds here that I will try myself.

So I'm currently a clicker who is try to transition to keybinding. I've had a few attempts at it but given up and gone back to clicking.

At the moment I play a warlock and struggle to move and hit the keybind at the same time.

What I tried as my keybinding was for example:

W-forward
    A- strafe left
    R-strafe right
    1-shadowburn
    2-immolate
    3-incinerate
    4-chaos bolt
    E-conflagrate
    Etc etc

Now to explain what I'm having trouble with..

When casting for example immolate/incinerate(2/3) I struggle to move forward with the w key, when I cast conflagrate(e) I struggle to strafe right(d). My movement is very bad and really doesn't feel comfortable. And I can't really figure out what I may be doing wrong?

Any tips on what I need to change or anything at all really would be much appreciated.
    What I suggest... work on just keybinding your movement and 2 or 3 of your most used attacks. Keep the setup like that until using them is entirely muscle memory, and then add another attack. So on and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the standard UI, I set up 1-6, and the bar above as shift + 1-6. I do still click my cooldowns and rarely used spells, but between WASD, Shift, and 1-6 I'm pretty much covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Thanks for the tips!

I actually use a bit of a hybrid system at times... I'm lefty, so my keybinds are over on the num pad side of things, but it's something like:

5 forward
    2 backward
    4 strafe left
    6 strafe right
    1 rotate left
    3 rotate right

If I have to move far in a specific direction and still pull shots off, I'll use like.. 4 + 2 for a steer if needed, which frees the mouse up to click and place a trap wherever I need to if one of my shot keys isn't easily reachable. If I didn't do this, it would severely hamper things like trap placement, or specific target selection (as this game has particularly sketchy target tabbing). Come up with whatever works for you, and stick w/ it

w - forward
    a - left strafe
    d - right strafe
    s - backpeddle
    f, shift + f, q, e, shift + q/e.
    z, x, c, v, t, `, etc.

The only movement keys you should have bound are strafe left and strafe right and auto run when you have to use your mouse to click something. I use a mouse button for auto run.

more or less get a Razer Naga

Getting a mouse with 12+ buttons on it will liberate you. I would recommend a logitech g600, but there are many other great and affordable options out there.

Deleted
    Personally I just move my hand over my keyboard pretty fast. Practice makes perfect they say, and that's quite true.

I use ASDW for moving in combination with my mouse. My right mouse button is clicked like 90% of the time. I don't have a specific finger for a specific button, I just use whatever finger can reach the button well and is free at that time. If that's none, it means I need to switch a finger.

I don't use double keybinds like ctrl + 1 myself, because my hand is too small for that. If you're new to keybinds, I wouldn't suggest using them either. They're confusing to use if you've trouble with walking and pressing your abilities. Try binding your key spells to 1-6 (like you've done pretty well, it seems). You could stick with clicking your other abilities untill you get used to using your standard rotation keybinds. Personally I use F1-F4 for a few other spells I often use. But how good those buttons are depends a lot on your keyboard.

Slightly off-topic: I sometimes wonder how you play as a clicker. I've tried to click spells a few times, but I end up walking into walls, because I'm not able to steer with the mouse and click spells at the same time. I get you're supposed to use the ASDW movement, but I fail at that. I do click my dps cooldowns. But that's because dps cooldowns are never for "oh crap" situations, and should only be used when I'm standing still and dpsing the boss.

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, the main thing is just to stick with it, eventually it will come just as naturally to you as clicking feels now. Alternatively as has been suggested is a mouse with some extra buttons on the side, Since I got my Logitech G-700 I've bound two of the thumb buttons to strafe left and right, this way 99% of my movement is all on my right hand, leaving the left free for binds. Not sure if I could ever go back.

But really, just deprive yourself of clicking for a little while and you'll wonder how you ever got on with it.