Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Bloodsail Admiral Well's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,188
    I believe that it is set in stone that we will get new models instead of new race/class, and I am MORE than happy with that. The game keeps changing too much and too fast. It would be a nice change to see them develop the leaders' story for once and focus more on the lore and the little things instead of keeping up jokes from the pop culture. We really had enough of that. Everyone can come up with smart names for quests, really.


    Pokemon X FC: 1435-4739-8696 Trainer Name: Evershade

  2. #42
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,403
    I'd be fine with an expansion with no new class or race. Some days I think there are already too many in the game. I don't know that I think it's likely to happen but I'd be OK with that if it did.

    It would also be really refreshing to have an expansion where we didn't have to relearn how to play the classes we already have. Just saying.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Without a new race or new class, it would be a very low selling expansion. WoW players have come expect either a new race or a new class with each new expansion.
    the selling point is the new content; always has been. without blood elves or draenei, everyone woulda flocked to TBC. without DKs, everyone woulda flocked to Wrath. without worgens or goblins, everyone woulda bought Cata. even if pandaren were not playable and monks weren't added, everyone woulda migrated to MoP as well.

    blizzard don't need fancy gimmicks to sell their product. the gimmicks are nice, but ultimately, people buy the xpacs because they're tired of the old one, not because they can be kungfu pandas.

  4. #44
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Or you know, they could sell it on the basis that it would be an epic return to some epic Burning Legion story telling?

    People don't buy a new expansion simply because there is a new race or class. Sure, some people might. But every last player who buys the next expansion doesn't do so because they can be X race or X class.
    If that is the case, then why does Blizzard bring out a new race and/or class each expansion? Clearly they've seen information that shows that such additions are beneficial to the health of the game, and I don't think they'd end the tradition. Especially during WoW's 10th anniversary.

    How many people bought MoP just so they could be a Pandaren Monk? Do you remember the amount of hate on this very forum? I wonder how long it took those that disliked the Pandaren and Monk class from the off to actually try them out.
    There was hate, but a lot of people also really enjoyed the class. The Monk forums on both MMOC and the official forums are pretty active, and everyone seems to be happy playing the new class. I don't know how many people brought the game for Monks, but I have yet to see a widespread hatred of the new class.

    I know you're all about new specs and races/classes but really, they are not needed at all. But, only if Blizzard have some to put in their stead that would be equally appetizing to players. And Druid's only got a 4th spec to split the Feral tree. That is the sole reason.

    And a lot of players would gladly take all new models for the older races if they were all available at expansion launch over a new class/spec, I'd wager. Granted, I don't see the big deal over new models but still, people have differing opinions.

    Just to point out, I'm not against introducing a new class or race, btw. Just incase it seemed like I was arguing so heavily against them lol

    I disagree that new races or classes is not needed. Those things add freshness to an old game. The Monk class for example had a level of design that frankly made the other classes look outdated in comparison. The Warlock changes also looked incredibly dynamic. The game needs such changes to keep new and old players interested in an aging game.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 08:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    the selling point is the new content; always has been. without blood elves or draenei, everyone woulda flocked to TBC. without DKs, everyone woulda flocked to Wrath. without worgens or goblins, everyone woulda bought Cata. even if pandaren were not playable and monks weren't added, everyone woulda migrated to MoP as well.

    blizzard don't need fancy gimmicks to sell their product. the gimmicks are nice, but ultimately, people buy the xpacs because they're tired of the old one, not because they can be kungfu pandas.
    I'd hardly call a new race or class a gimmick. They are essential aspects of the game.

  5. #45
    I couldn't care less about new races. Have stuck to my main since day 1 with the odd alts per expansion. The more they focus on new encounters/raids and a fun leveling experience I'm happy. That being said I don't know how many players are like me.

  6. #46
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    282
    Doubt a class. Adding a class for the sake of adding a class is just doing the game a disfavour. There's plenty of classes and specs enough to cover any playstyle, and they're more likely to flesh out the current ones than conjure up more bloat.

    I honestly don't give a shit about race either, if it suits the theme of the expansion sure, but there's only so many time you can fit a race for each faction and have it go well with the story. There's not much fuel let for any more war either so the motivation for new races to take up arms at random is very low. At best they might pull another retarded "Panda for both" thingy, wich is also ridiclously hard to write into the lore. So we'll see.

    In any event it's already decided, and hopefully we'll be filled out come blizzcon.

  7. #47
    I would not be surprised if we got updated models instead of a new class/race.

    If they were to add a new class, I would like to see a pure dps class that has both a ranged and melee spec/capabilities.
    Last edited by Hyphyjiuce; 2013-04-27 at 08:56 PM.

  8. #48
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    Doubt a class. Adding a class for the sake of adding a class is just doing the game a disfavour. There's plenty of classes and specs enough to cover any playstyle, and they're more likely to flesh out the current ones than conjure up more bloat.

    I honestly don't give a shit about race either, if it suits the theme of the expansion sure, but there's only so many time you can fit a race for each faction and have it go well with the story. There's not much fuel let for any more war either so the motivation for new races to take up arms at random is very low. At best they might pull another retarded "Panda for both" thingy, wich is also ridiclously hard to write into the lore. So we'll see.

    In any event it's already decided, and hopefully we'll be filled out come blizzcon.
    If there isn't a new class next expansion, then we're more than likely looking at 4th specs for each existing class. I really don't see any other way to make the next expansion comparable to the previous ones without something along those lines.

    Again, you have to keep the standard in terms of updates, or people will feel that Blizzard is slacking.

    4th specs plus revised old models would be comparable to a new class or 2 new races IMO. However, you need something new for the classes/races in the game. New models alone just won't cut it since they've already been announced.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Either a fourth spec to every class or a new class is what i think.
    I would love a fourth spec, and would greatly prefer it to another new class.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    the selling point is the new content; always has been. without blood elves or draenei, everyone woulda flocked to TBC. without DKs, everyone woulda flocked to Wrath. without worgens or goblins, everyone woulda bought Cata. even if pandaren were not playable and monks weren't added, everyone woulda migrated to MoP as well.

    blizzard don't need fancy gimmicks to sell their product. the gimmicks are nice, but ultimately, people buy the xpacs because they're tired of the old one, not because they can be kungfu pandas.
    races and class are content.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  11. #51
    I think the selling point of the next expansion will most likely be new race models, if they opt not to make a new race/class available.

  12. #52
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,403
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    races and class are content.
    That's true enough. I do believe that if there was any chance at all to bring in new players strictly due to a new race, this expansion was probably it for all of the reasons both good and bad that we've seen stated several dozen thousand times over the last year. I don't think it's a significant thing myself. Classes don't really qualify either. They are both good as something new and different in the game for existing players and may bring back some older players but I seriously doubt that they are any kind of selling point for new players.

    So one is left with the idea that without new classes or races existing players would leave the game at an even faster clip? Maybe. I wouldn't but I'm certainly not everyone. My impression, possibly mistaken, is that the most important thing to a lot of players is the 'content' in the sense of raids, dungeons, zones to explore, quests to do, battlegrounds, etc.

    Personally, I don't see new models as a particularly strong selling point since that supports the idea that people play games because they're pretty. I don't believe that that's really true. After all, even with new models we'll mostly be staring at their backs. So that's an iffy thing for me.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  13. #53
    Herald of the Titans Wishblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Posts
    2,614
    I hope and think we won't see a new class or race. Got plenty of races as of late (3 during the last two expansions) and classes take a fair bit of work I imagine, so I think they'll wait till at least the 6th expansion for another one.

    As I've said several times before, I feel the new character models would be more than enough if they were ready for the expansion. It's like 10 races getting new models, crap load of work and new and shiny. More than enough imo.
    "Reminds me of a dog, you stare at it while it's playing outside... Running around in a circle, then stopping up, wagging with a wide "grin". Jumping around until you call for the dog, then it lowers its tail because it think it's done something bad... And then you throw the ball, seeing the tail go straight into the air in bliss! ^^" - Gehco
    Wishblade of Draenor EU

  14. #54
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,602
    People should understand that Blizzard's goal with WoW is to always add fresh content, and redo old content. Blizzard would never release an expansion without a new race or class, or something along those lines because it goes against their design goals for the game. Blizzard wants you to relearn the game every 15 months. This is why they add new classes, add new races, and realign talents and old classes every time.

  15. #55
    Brewmaster randomone05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nowhere important
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    races and class are content.
    gonna have to disagree. race and class are mostly there for metzen and koasak(or however its spelled) to whip up explanations for why X race cant be X class (looking at you pandaren DRUID.) they do add some lore to the game, but not enough for me to declare "this is content!".
    Last edited by randomone05; 2013-04-27 at 10:56 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I don't see a single thing wrong with hero classes. The death knight starting area was great. And the DK would just not make much sense if you start as a level 1 in Elwynn or Durotar.
    How does any of the other classes make sense then? How does it make sense for a Warlock, who is supposedly an already powerful mage, who is practicing forbidden arts, to start in the general Human area?

    It worked for Monks, so it works for Demon Hunters.

    I hate the death knight starting area, the fact that you have to start there and do the exact same quests no matter if you're alliance or horde, if you choose Orc or Blood Elf, you have to be in the exact same area doing the exact same thing. With all other classes, you start out in whatever area your race does, then you can move from there, even from level one, to another if you don't like that particular area.

    Furthermore, the idea of starting at any level other than level one is ridiculous, what's even the point in lvl 1-55 if you just skip it on some classes? Why even have any levels?

    Best and simplest solution, let all classes start at level 1, no special treatment for anyone.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by randomone05 View Post
    gonna have to disagree. race and class are mostly there for metzen and koasak(or however its spelled) to whip up explanations for why X race cant be X class (looking at you pandaren DRUID.) they do add some lore to the game, but not enough for me to declare "this is content!".
    sorry, but you don't get to define what content is. anything the game has is content. it may be content that you don't care about, but it's content. personally I'd rather have new races and classes than new raids. raids take too much time, I find dungeons and scenarios way more enjoyable. classes are everything you have about gameplay. new class = new gameplay. races are fine cosmetic additions.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  18. #58
    Immortal Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    How does any of the other classes make sense then? How does it make sense for a Warlock, who is supposedly an already powerful mage, who is practicing forbidden arts, to start in the general Human area?

    It worked for Monks, so it works for Demon Hunters.

    I hate the death knight starting area, the fact that you have to start there and do the exact same quests no matter if you're alliance or horde, if you choose Orc or Blood Elf, you have to be in the exact same area doing the exact same thing. With all other classes, you start out in whatever area your race does, then you can move from there, even from level one, to another if you don't like that particular area.

    Furthermore, the idea of starting at any level other than level one is ridiculous, what's even the point in lvl 1-55 if you just skip it on some classes? Why even have any levels?

    Best and simplest solution, let all classes start at level 1, no special treatment for anyone.
    The story behind the Death Knights is that they are already champions when the Lich King takes them and turns them into Death Knights. Elwynn does not train people to be Death Knights. Nor would Darnassus train their people to be Demon Hunters. Unless Blizzard whips up a story where Death Knights first come to the Alliance and the Horde and then offer Level 1 players to turn them into undead, unless they make Demon Hunters, a secret organization that has nothing to do with the Alliance and the Horde, joins Darnassus and Silvermoon, I don't see how they would make sense as a level 1 character.

    Demon Hunters have to at least have an explanation as to why they're there, and that can best be done in their own starting zone. The Demon Hunters have a lot of backstory. The rituals they go through, blinding themselves, fusing with demonic energies, becoming partly demonic themselves. There is no class identity in the normal starting zones, aside from one quest of a trainer. They would not do the Demon Hunter justice if they did not deal with what it means to be a Demon Hunter. If you're a level 1 Demon Hunter, you're already wearing a blindfold, you have demonic vision, tattoes all over your body, you already have demonic appearance, you can turn into a demon, you already have powerful glaives - and then the questgiver tells you to go kill some boars - that does not sound interesting.

    It's much better to have a whole starting zone dedicated to what it means to be a Demon Hunter. You arrive as a Level 75 player for example. You're a Night Elf warrior, you've already seen a lot, already fought in a lot of battles. Then the first quest explains how you even got here. Your character was always interested in the powers of a Demon Hunter and in his research came across information that led him to this secret Demon Hunter cult. He learns what it means to be a Demon Hunter and goes through the rituals step by step. You fight your own demons as a rite of passage and so on. At the end of the experience, which could be around level 80, you are a full-fledged Demon Hunter. Then you can have a story that explains why you would now assist your old faction again, for example the Demon Hunters can feel the return of the Legion in the very near future and send you back to your faction in order to offer help against the demons and form a symbiotic bond. You help us, we help you. We both have to be prepared for what is about to come. The Night Elves might not be easily persuaded to integrate them into their society (shit first the Highborne, now Demon Hunters, what's next?) but some of the other leaders might make a good case when they argue that their knowledge about demons might become useful, and we'll need all the manpower we can get.

    A lot of this is similar to how Death Knights get their first own runeblade, how they engrave it in the forge, how they steal their own steed and turn it into a Deathcharger. How they are freed of the Lich King's control at the battle of Light's Hope. If the game does not introduce such a lore-heavy class properly, then it will be a big disappointment for many people. In any case, you can't tell me that a DK or a DH killing boars, wolves, gnolls or quillboar is feeling heroic.
    Last edited by Nindoriel; 2013-04-28 at 07:12 AM.

  19. #59
    I hope they rework the models for the races AND the items as well, apart from shoulders and belts there was zero improvement in this regard. Plate armors should add bulk and robes should flow and not look like they are made of stretch fabric.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    As long as they make leveling the new class easy like with the monks' daily buff, I don't mind a new one. Oh, and a 12th character slot of course.
    yes so I can have 12 druids instead of 10

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 03:32 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    4th spec as a feature of the next expansion is gaining a lot of momentum.
    This technically already took place, which is why i quit playing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •