Deleted

Engineering + Alchemy on one character, Herbalism + Mining on another?

Hey!

Will the following setup work?

Character 1: Engineering + Alchemy
    Character 2: Herbalism + Mining

I have a level 90 priest that I don't really play on anymore, so I could use that one as a gatherer. Is this viable though? Or are some of the materials soulbound in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Spirit of Harmony is BOP. But I do have pure gatherer toons to support my characters with crafting professions. So long as all you want is the non-soulbound mats while you farm the Harmony on your dual crafting toon, it could work

But as a disclaimer, all my crafting toons have the corresponding gather profession.

I have Engineering + Alchemy on one character, but I just buy all my mats though... can't be assed spending hours gathering.

Deleted
    This setup will work for you now , but when the new expansion is released your main will not have a gatherer to support him.But as long you are willing to buy mats you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebamama View Post
    This setup will work for you now , but when the new expansion is released your main will not have a gatherer to support him.But as long you are willing to buy mats you will be fine.
    I have done exactly this for the last fours years with great success. While everyone else is battling each other for quest objectives in the first 2 weeks of an expansion I have leveled my alt farmer (herbie & miner) just by farming. The mats sell at a premium to feed the the power levelers and I have a metric ton of mats to level my own before gaining a single additional level. Low stress, huge amounts of gold and a farmer that can typically fly and do other things before the rest of my guild.

Back to the OP - yes Eng & Alch rocks on a single toon. I have the same thing on my DK and Eng/JC on my Rogue. The only downside is questing and seeing some choice node and not getting to grab it while you are there but the upside of a dedicated gatherer is too great to make worry about it. My 2 cents but others mileage may vary.

So long as you intend to level and play your gathering alt come next expansion (or stockpile a nice chunk of gold in preparation for buying mats), you'll be fine. I actually ran this combo for a while on my main during Cata.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you plan to farm a lot, i suggest you to level a druid, it's an immense gain over a priest (instant mount, cyclone + gather and shadowmeld + mount after if night elf to avoid killing mobs)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalrian View Post
    I have done exactly this for the last fours years with great success. While everyone else is battling each other for quest objectives in the first 2 weeks of an expansion I have leveled my alt farmer (herbie & miner) just by farming. The mats sell at a premium to feed the the power levelers and I have a metric ton of mats to level my own before gaining a single additional level. Low stress, huge amounts of gold and a farmer that can typically fly and do other things before the rest of my guild.

Back to the OP - yes Eng & Alch rocks on a single toon. I have the same thing on my DK and Eng/JC on my Rogue. The only downside is questing and seeing some choice node and not getting to grab it while you are there but the upside of a dedicated gatherer is too great to make worry about it. My 2 cents but others mileage may vary.
    This..... So much gold to be made those first few days and weeks.

If you are not someone who feels like you need to rush to 90 (and really only people who want to raid that first week should feel that way), then level your alt who has both herbalism/mining and you can make a small fortune.

Really, since they made it so you can see both the ore and herb node on your minimap at the same time (start of Cata that happened), having mining and herbalism on the same toon is a great idea.

My main is a engi and alchy and i leveled up a tauren dk to be my gatherer

This worked out very well for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter has Engineering and Inscription.
    DK has mining and skinning.
    Druid has herbalism and alchemy. Works perfectly. Just gotta farm the harmony on the real chars is all
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Both my priest and monk have alch+engi. I have no problem making gold so i mostly buy mats but I do have a death knight (path of frost is nice for herbing) with mining+herb for new expansions that I use to gather some of the mats myself but I always have to buy some of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    My Rogue Is levleing with mining and Engineering, and going to hit 90 then farm ALL the mats to power level BSing, I'll then reroll mining and JC on my monk and I'll have all the crafting and gathering I need :3 then should I decide to stick to my rogue for the next expansion I'll just go on a mining spree with my monk first, sell a good chunk of the mats, and be sorted for gold for most of the expansion before farming the mats to level all 3 profs =D

10+ Year Old Account
    My rogue was leveled as a Alch/Eng in Cata, and then brought up to max level as my second toon in Mists. My gathering toons came after, so I just spent gold buying all the materials to level. It's not a big problem as long as you don't do it in the very first week or so. Since I could use my 525 miner to smelt Ghost iron into bars I had no problem leveling either Eng or Alch early Mists for reasonable prices.

If you don't have gold though, it might be advisable to level your gatherer first, as suggested.