Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    1. World of Warcraft.

2. How do you test a whole expansion without announcing it in advance and putting it on test servers? Blizzard effectively has the world's largest ongoing beta playerbase.

I personally really dislike PvE "war". It's boring both story-wise (because you already know nothing grand is going to happen due to faction balance and persistence) and gameplay wise (because you are fighting same old Alliance or Horde races you've seen since Vanilla).

I loved the sense of wonder, exploration, adventure in 5.0, but as soon as they started with the whole faction war thing, it went downhill. Word is, next patch we will be questing in Barrens. So much for new continent.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind if faction war was confined to PvP, and PvE content focused on adventure.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    I dont think they have ever done war well. A few zones of all our war would be really, really fun! (I mean full max level zones). Participating in the wars has always been fun but not something we have been able to do a lot of at max level, atleast to a larger extent.

To change what's going on right now, I'd be down with it. Besides, I love when they add more buildings and factions grow stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Peace doesn't mean no conflict. The US is as far as I know not at war with any nation at this moment, but we still have troops fighting.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 12:00 AM ----------

World of WARcraft as everyone loves to put it does not mean war between the alliance and horde only.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

Not everything is known months in advance. Blizzard likes to whet our appetites with information about the next expansion without giving away too much information. I think their system is working.

I dislike the idea of a peaceful society where nothing happens. That seems really boring, and I imagine Blizzard's subscription rates would plummet. I want to see conflict from the beginning.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    I dislike the idea of a peaceful society where nothing happens. That seems really boring, and I imagine Blizzard's subscription rates would plummet. I want to see conflict from the beginning.
    On the other hand, as society that is constantly locked in conflict is just as boring. Think WW1 trench warfare boring.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, we need more Alliance vs Horde to justify the PvP aspect of the game. Give us lore for new battlegrounds etc.

Deleted
    No, I'd love a cold war expansion. The Horde is administered by the Alliance after the death of Garrosh, and tension builds as both factions are going to go back to war with each other, this gives the Horde a space of time to rebuild what is destroyed after SoO which from a reality check point of view this would make sense. Eg: Look at it as Garrosh's death is the downfall of the Third Reich, Germany was then administered by the allies and the tensions were huge, because the threat of war could break out at any moment.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    Eg: Look at it as Garrosh's death is the downfall of the Third Reich, Germany was then administered by the allies and the tensions were huge, because the threat of war could break out at any moment.
    and so the Horde becomes the Alliance lap-dog?
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    No, we need more Alliance vs Horde to justify the PvP aspect of the game. Give us lore for new battlegrounds etc.
    yea two patches and the final raid isn't enough, next expansion lets not have any npc enemies, and just killing the other faction alone all zones dungeons and raids!!!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I personally really dislike PvE "war". It's boring both story-wise
    I personally really really enjoy it.
    Always get a certain extra sense of satisfaction killing male human footmen. My favorite scenarios being anything involving the war such as Domination Point and Lion's Landing

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    yea two patches and the final raid isn't enough,
    Well the Horde spend more time killing Horde than Alliance, so the raid dsnt really fall into that well......
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    An expansion that focuses on the way that both factions lick their wounds
    I read it as "an expansion that focuses on the way that both factions lick each other's balls". Until one or both of world superpowers are disbanded completely, there can be no peace.

The problem with this idea is blizz needs the ptrs/beta servers to provide a good launch. Imagine the bugs that we get on major patch/expansion launches. Not multiply that a hundredfold. Blizz I'm sure would love to surprise people with things and circumvent the dataminers. But they can't. Their focus is on delivering polished and finished content, so no I don't think they would or should try and surprise us withotu publicly tested content.

If you want to be surprised, don't come to sites like MMO champ. Avoid threats about spoilers. Don't talk to people that can't help but rattle them off.

As for the idea of a 'peace' expansion, no I don't want that. This is World of WARcraft. I don't care if we're fighting the Horde, Scourge, Legion, what have you. But the closest thing to a 'peace' expansion I could buy into would be like MoP at initial release. No singular unifying villain, but about adventure and discovery. Building up and recovering would only make interesting gameplay for so long. They could MAYBE get away with this for say a patch like 5.5 where the Fourth War is over and we're rebuilding until 'HOLY **** INFERNALS' but they couldn't get by with a raid tier or more than a few weeks of it. If an expansion STARTED like this then it wouldn't sell, at least not if you didn't get to the action after a few quest chains.

Now, if there were a couple of zones revamped to fit this theme that MIGHT work. But you need conflict to drive the story and gameplay in an MMO. A recovery period would be better served by a timeskip imo than by having an expansion or even patch of 'peace.'

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I personally really dislike PvE "war". It's boring both story-wise (because you already know nothing grand is going to happen due to faction balance and persistence) and gameplay wise (because you are fighting same old Alliance or Horde races you've seen since Vanilla).

I loved the sense of wonder, exploration, adventure in 5.0, but as soon as they started with the whole faction war thing, it went downhill. Word is, next patch we will be questing in Barrens. So much for new continent.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind if faction war was confined to PvP, and PvE content focused on adventure.
    Thing is though, you can't tell a story in PvP. Because blizzard can't determine who wins by pvp. Look at Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley. Ok, there's interesting lore to set up these conflicts. But no resolution that can be had in pvp because the events need to be repeatable for future battlegrounds.

PvE is the only way they can advance the story without turning WoW into a sandbox, saying 'have fun' and having no canonical flow of events. And there are interesting things that can happen and the events can have consequences, even if we all know at the end of the day no races are gonna leave their faction and both factions will exist.

We know blood elves will never leave the Horde for gameplay reasons. But you couldn't tell a story like the purge of dalaran through pvp, because the Alliance needs to 'win' that one by driving the Sunreavers out. The fact of the matter is, WoW is a pve game. I don't mean that as a slight aginst pvpers. But pvp doesn't affect the story or lore at all. At best you get some lore leading up to a new battleground like in AV and Gilneas. At worst you're just sort of there like Eye of the Storm. The story of the Horde/Alliance war has always been told through pve, whether it be questing, scenarios, or coming up shortly a raid. PvP is something of a side game not because it's any less fun, skill requiring, engaging or important to players as pve, but because it never affects the game's story. And it can't, not if blizz wants to give a single narrative.

So yeah, we know the Alliance isn't going to destroy the Horde in 5.4. But that doesn't mean these stories aren't worth telling, or that the Alliance and Horde should never go at it.

Do we honestly need lore justifications for BG's anymore? They're all the same variant of: gates open, 1 third of each side rushes the nearest node, the other two thirds die uselessly in the middle for most of the game, the first third screams at the other two thirds, the side that qued together ends up winning. We need lore for that?
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

I would be interested in such an expansion. It would be a nice opportunity for each faction to evolve from the inside at a relaxed pace, instead of being forced to act all the time. And it would be a nice change of pace in genaral, with no huge threat looming over us all. Just like vanilla somewhat.

It would also be a nice opportunity to re-introduce properly big racial campaigns, and class quests. Things that focus on the various races' and classes' unique features, and not content that is a generic mesh to suit all.

And it wouldn't have to be World of SimCraft. You can add plenty of adventure (and slaughter!) into a rebuilding effort. After all there are still threats within each racial faction's grounds.

But I think there is a problem with the idea: it would be a loot of work, far more than what has been done up to now in an expansion. Also, the content would be too diversified for Blizzard's taste nowadays. Remember how most racial factions had their own zones, filled with quests; classes had some unique quests; there were zones for exploring and questing that had nothing to do with campaigns, but were just there for anyone fancying to lay through them? And how now there are only two campaigns, one for each faction, and all zones are part of the main storyline? I doubt they would ever go back to giving the game more diversity, a lot of players complaining about its lack as they may. It's just easier to make content for two factions instead of four, six, etc.

As for the surprise, I am afraid that the only way to do that would be to not put things into test realms, and only test in-house. That would be ideal for, well everything in the game really. That way players wouldn't be Blizzard's unnofficial-but-oh-so-gullible-and-useful littel workers, and the game would have a sense of mystery. But not much chance that would happen. It's way too convenient for them, and can even be used as an advertising tool with the way some players treat tests realms.

All in all I like the idea of a more relaxed expansion, where we go back to our roots and have some not-so-grand adventure for a change. I am tired of slaying larger than life threats and miss the older days when a gnoll gang leader was a serious menace. The game has gone way to super saiyan for my taste. But I don't know if ther is a way back, or if the developers actually want to take it.

10+ Year Old Account
    when I read the title I misread it was 'would you be cool with a Peach expansion.

But yeah. I am tired of the immature nature of this war in wow right now. Theres nothing gained from it, because there will never be a victory for either side.
    #boycottchina

Not a total victory of one destroying the other, no, but that doesn't mean there can't be good stories told or character development from it, or victories that stop short of a race or nation being obliterated. From the sound of things, the Alliance will be the victors walking out of this, strong and united while the Horde war machine is crippled and they're trying to pick themselves back up. We'll have to wait and see if this happens though.

Honestly I wish the player base was mature enough to deal with a real "war" in game. Like depending on participation etc one of the factions gets stomped into the ground losing a city/etc. But we all know no matter how awesome said scenario was whoever lost would cry about "bias".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogged View Post
    I see no purpose or fun in the current Horde vs Alliance storyline anyway, so sure!
    This. I would love to see us be able to pick any race/class combo and play with our friends. No more factions!