Thread: Golf advice

Deleted

Golf advice

Hey guys i used to play gold when i was 12-15 years old now 27 and now back in the game, now i dont exactly know where to re-start off.
    Has anyone got any tips to share, i ned advice onw how to swing the club properly without using arms.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastwish View Post
    Hey guys i used to play gold when i was 12-15 years old now 27 and now back in the game, now i dont exactly know where to re-start off.
    Has anyone got any tips to share, i ned advice onw how to swing the club properly without using arms.
    I would see your local pro for some lessons and get started right. Then take what you learned and implement by pounding balls at the range. At 27 you are not as flexible as you were at 15 but you should be just fine. There are tons of swing lessons on youtube which can help you out with your armsy swing. I have been thinking about a new(maybe not so) method called "Stack and Tilt" but haven't tried it yet. Looks very simple.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-04-28 at 05:08 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

I say skip the lessons and watch youtube videos. You can practice swinging at home and record yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFred View Post
    I say skip the lessons and watch youtube videos. You can practice swinging at home and record yourself.
    recording yourself is definitely a good way to go, however lessons can also be of some help.
    Hi

Well in skill I'm still probably far off yours(just golf for fun.) but I find starting from the basics and then putting in tons of practice ALWAYS yields results in any sport or activity.

Deleted
    Thanks fopr advice guys. ive been getting along great so far thanks to some youtube lessons,BUT will have some proper lesssons from the pros at the local club also.

Keep your eyes on the ball, if you swing to the right then keep your left arm and left leg straight at all times. If you put a club infront of your feet it should point towards where you are aiming at. Try not to move your body too much when you are swinging.

Deleted
    Yes i got told also you swing with your body,not your arms.

Yes i got told also you swing with your body,not your arms.
    Only partly true, you need force to start the swing but you help it with your upper body, legs should only move during the follow through. You also regulate how far you want to hit with your arms but thats a bit advanced so dont think you need to have that in mind when you get back into it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks fopr advice guys. ive been getting along great so far thanks to some youtube lessons,BUT will have some proper lesssons from the pros at the local club also.
    Good move. If possible, select a pro that videos the lessons. You can then walk out with a dvd for reinforcement and review. I remember swearing that I wasn't doing something wrong but then I review the video I actually was screwing it up. I was way too upright.
    If the pro does his job,, your armsy swing will go away once you will learn the grip, posture, stance and back swing. By the time you get to the top of your swing you start shifting weight to your front foot, the club naturaly simply drops down into the slot. Once the club is down and moving in a inside-out direction about knee level, you can then use your arms for some more power. If you arrive at the top of your back swing and do everything right, the downswing is easy.

But internet advice is internet advice. Spend some time and money with your pro. Since golf is a lifetime sport, you money will be well spent.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-05-01 at 06:16 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also feel that youtube lessons will be definitely helpful for you. That's an easy way to recall all the basics.
    Last edited by DanielleDem; 2013-08-16 at 09:26 AM.

Im a PGA Professional. It seems that you are doing the right thing seeing a local Pro. Many Pros teach differently, ask your Pro to help you with your short game and fundamentals (ie setup, routine). Ensure that your Pro understands how YOU need to swing, I see too many Pros teach one way and sometimes that is not the best way for you.

I wouldnt get too much into the video taping. Sometimes you get so caught up in what youre doing with your swing that you start playing 'golf swing' or 'driving range' on the course and not Golf. What I mean is Practice time is for working on a small element of your swing but you dont take that the golf course. Im not saying to not video tape yourself but being too nit picky leads to you concentrating on some tiny aspect of the swing and the swing entirely. This many times lead to 'Paralysis of Analysis' especially on the golf course.

You will see the most improvement in your game if you start from the hole and work back. Meaning start with your putting, chipping, pitching, shots inside 100 yards, short irons, med irons, long irons... etc. Work on your setup, work on your preshot routine for all clubs, all shots. Sadly, the way of teaching golf has become too much of teaching how to play 'golf swing' or 'driving range' and not necessarily Golf. When youre on the course you need to focus on shot selection, shot shape and how to actually play the course. After you get some basic fundamentals ask your Pro for a playing lesson. This would be you and your Pro going out on the course and playing 4-5 holes, this should include a Par 3, a short and a long Par 4 and Par 5. They should tell explain how you should go about playing the hole, where to land the ball on the Fairway to setup your Approach to the Green and then explain where you should land the ball on the Green for the best chance at making your Putt.

There is so much more that I could say here but ill digress with this last piece of advice. Dont use a driver until you can at least break 100 on the course, tee off with you 3-wood, at that level the Driver will get you in trouble more times than not.

Golf is great and very demanding game, welcome back!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Im a PGA Professional. It seems that you are doing the right thing seeing a local Pro. Many Pros teach differently, ask your Pro to help you with your short game and fundamentals (ie setup, routine). Ensure that your Pro understands how YOU need to swing, I see too many Pros teach one way and sometimes that is not the best way for you.

I wouldnt get too much into the video taping. Sometimes you get so caught up in what youre doing with your swing that you start playing 'golf swing' or 'driving range' on the course and not Golf. What I mean is Practice time is for working on a small element of your swing but you dont take that the golf course. Im not saying to not video tape yourself but being too nit picky leads to you concentrating on some tiny aspect of the swing and the swing entirely. This many times lead to 'Paralysis of Analysis' especially on the golf course.

You will see the most improvement in your game if you start from the hole and work back. Meaning start with your putting, chipping, pitching, shots inside 100 yards, short irons, med irons, long irons... etc. Work on your setup, work on your preshot routine for all clubs, all shots. Sadly, the way of teaching golf has become too much of teaching how to play 'golf swing' or 'driving range' and not necessarily Golf. When youre on the course you need to focus on shot selection, shot shape and how to actually play the course. After you get some basic fundamentals ask your Pro for a playing lesson. This would be you and your Pro going out on the course and playing 4-5 holes, this should include a Par 3, a short and a long Par 4 and Par 5. They should tell explain how you should go about playing the hole, where to land the ball on the Fairway to setup your Approach to the Green and then explain where you should land the ball on the Green for the best chance at making your Putt.

There is so much more that I could say here but ill digress with this last piece of advice. Dont use a driver until you can at least break 100 on the course, tee off with you 3-wood, at that level the Driver will get you in trouble more times than not.

Golf is great and very demanding game, welcome back!
    Wish there was a "like" button.
    Operation Red Wing

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz to Dufner on his 1st major. He tried to give it away again but hung in there.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-08-11 at 11:54 PM.
    Operation Red Wing