Dire Orcs, why is this a surprise?

Just curious as to why this is a shock to find them in the Secrets of Ragefire. They already had two notable appearances in Cata.

In the Worgen questline we see the daughter of Crowley face off against one on a Horde Zepp. "Thats one big Orc" We also find one in Blackrock Caverns plowing through the instance.

Whats the deal? Anyone care to explain?

If you could source said surprise, this discussion would be a lot more interesting to me.

I haven't seen anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    If you could source said surprise, this discussion would be a lot more interesting to me.

I haven't seen anything.
    Pretty much this. I have no idea what you're talking about.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    The only one that ever surprised me was Gurtogg Bloodboil... and that's because he apparently had the fruitiest-looking staff in the game on his person.

Dire Orcs are never been explained, the first we saw was Gurtogg in BT and he was an heavy mutated orc caused by fel blood; the one in Brc was heavy experimented by the twilight cult with elemental magic but the others, the one in worgen starting area (only the worgens see it i think) and those in SoR have no background. As always something that was considered extremely rare is now becoming common this is the deal imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    Just curious as to why this is a shock to find them in the Secrets of Ragefire.
    I'd say the shock is not about their existence, but about their location.

Just curious as to why this is a shock to find them in the Secrets of Ragefire. They already had two notable appearances in Cata.

In the Worgen questline we see the daughter of Crowley face off against one on a Horde Zepp. "Thats one big Orc" We also find one in Blackrock Caverns plowing through the instance.

Because deliberately manipulating Orcs by changing their physiology to suit wartime is a huge no-no for the Orcs.

I can't explain the Gilneas one, that's a head scratcher. But the BRC one was manipulated on by Twilight's Hammer with elemental magics.

The big deal is because it's just another notch on the list of Garrosh crossing a line that most Orcs would consider almost sacrilegious.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Because deliberately manipulating Orcs by changing their physiology to suit wartime is a huge no-no for the Orcs.

I can't explain the Gilneas one, that's a head scratcher. But the BRC one was manipulated on by Twilight's Hammer with elemental magics.

The big deal is because it's just another notch on the list of Garrosh crossing a line that most Orcs would consider almost sacrilegious.
    I dunno, technically back in the first and second war they had their warlocks aging young orc children to physical maturity with magic, so it was "accepted" at one point in time.

Otherwise, I liken dire orcs to dire trolls, in that they're either chemically or magically augmented to be stronger with possibly a bit less intelligence.

Deleted
    And you're just pulling this out of your ass because?

The Gilneas one has a very easy explanation:

He was a big orc.

What? Aren't there dozens of giant people in real life? There is no need to experiment with your troops to have a couple of unusually big soldiers.

Deleted

Blackrock Caverns was not the Horde.

But yeah the one on the zeppelin was when a lot of people expected the Horde to do some kind of experiments on them. Call it foreshadowing I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder why the Darkspear don't have any dire trolls.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Probably because they're the weakest/scrawniest Troll tribe in lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    The same reason they didn't do all the things the bad troll tribes do. It's bad, and they're bad. Bad guys do bad things.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 03:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Probably because they're the weakest/scrawniest Troll tribe in lore.
    ...Unfortunately, sad but true. The Darkspear seem to be the weakest, and part of that may well be because they don't spruce up their voodoo a bit.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Not surprised to see dire orcs among garrosh's people at all, though before now only the one in gilneas would have been horde created.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The same reason they didn't do all the things the bad troll tribes do. It's bad, and they're bad. Bad guys do bad things.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 03:24 AM ----------

...Unfortunately, sad but true. The Darkspear seem to be the weakest, and part of that may well be because they don't spruce up their voodoo a bit.
    There's nothing inherently bad or evil or anything like that about dire trolls (well nothing beyond troll traits in general), among troll kind they're just big trolls. The Darkspear did have them at some point, Zalazane who's entire army was Darkspear mindslaves had Hexed Dire Trolls among them when we reclaimed the Isles.
    Last edited by Kojo; 2013-04-28 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Not true, Dire Trolls are pretty much called Berserker Trolls now.

In Warcraft 2 as well as Warcraft 3 you could upgrade your Troll Axethrower / Headhunter to a Troll Berserker, especially in Warcraft 3 you saw that those Troll Berserker became huge guys.

And Berserker / Dire Trolls Trolls are seen as equal in Troll society, it seems that it's more a choice of your own to transform into a Berserker Troll than a transformation forced upon you.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Ongo%27longo%27s_Revenge

"Ongo'longo was one of us. What outsiders called a Dire Troll, but he was a Revantusk, and a proud warrior like all of us!"

"I'll have to hear the story from Ongo'longo himself when this is over."

Doesn't sound like they mistreat Ongo'longo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not surprised with Dire Orcs being in Ragefire and all since it's like an underground base of operations for Garrosh and he pretty much wants to use Dire Orcs as tools of War.

WTB Dire Gnomes. Wait, those are humans.