Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MTG or WoW TCG - what to choose ?

i got a question for ppl who played both MTG and WoW TCG. whats the difference between them really ? i dont know which card game i want to focus on.
    i like both universes.
    give me pros and cons for both

what i like about WoW TCG is that there is no land cards. i always hated in MTG when i had really good hand but no luck with lands and couldnt do a thing. or opposite, hand full of lands and no creatures, instants etc etc

Deleted
    The fact you post on THIS forum is allready a giveaway you are going to WoW TCG.

10+ Year Old Account
    but i still dont know what i should stick to. i have both WoW TCG and MTG cards atm

Do you have people to play both of them with? I used to love playing TCG's, but I learned a while ago that no matter how good they are, it's a waste to build a deck if you don't already have a way to play them. Figure that out before trying to determine which one you like better; nothing worse than realizing how much you like a game and then being unable to play it.

I have only played MTG, and that was quite a few years ago. I used to play semi-pro and travel to tournaments. Like I said, I haven't played WoWtcg, but I can only imagine that being around so long, that MTG is the more refined game. My only issue, and this probably applies to both games is that when cards get banned or restricted you are out a lot of cash. Which is what happened to me. Skullclamp was banned in the Mirrodin block, and my 250 dollar ravager deck was completely trash. Either one you choose, drafts at your local store are more than worth it! Have fun with whatever you decide.

I've played both and MTG all the way.

If you don't like land but want a dedicated cardgame there's always vanguard (or soon online hearthstone) which use tap systems but have limited cards per-say. Magic's power has always been it's flexibility. The only similar game is yugioh, which balances out the flexibility with a *lot* of limitations on cards, lots of staples, etc. Restrictions seem a lot rarer in other games.

I mean every cardgame has staples, magic is pretty good for giving you a lot of variety regardless.

Preferences aside, what do they play at your local places OP? That's probably the most important question. WoW TCG died in my town and it's mostly magic and yugioh now. Vanguard is picking up pace and pokemon is dying a slow death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Preferences aside, what do they play at your local places OP? That's probably the most important question. WoW TCG died in my town and it's mostly magic and yugioh now. Vanguard is picking up pace and pokemon is dying a slow death.
    Weird that Pokémon TCG is dying in your town, it's in a better spot than it's ever been in imo.

Can't comment since I've haven't played WoW TCG or MTG much, but I'd say go after what you can see other people around you play, else it's just no fun.

MTG is much better developed, has a longer history, and crazy art.
    There is also a lot of online trading, and the fanbase is huge.

There are cards worth a few cents, all the way up to 3000$ - the chances of finding those are slim to none though, as they are from the earliest sets over 15 years ago.

Deleted
    MTG is by far the superior game. I tried to get into WOWTCG for two years but it just isn't anywhere near as good as Magic.

Biggest differences:
    - In Magic, you can use any card ever printed to combine with any other card ever printed (format restrictions apply obviously). In Wow, you can only use cards specific to your chosen hero, so your options are much more limited and always will be.
    - Magic has a tradeoff where you can randomly die to mana problems, but it makes for more variety in games. Wow at the time I played it, had games that always played out very similarly.
    - The Magic tournament scene is enormous, that of wow is very localized.
    - Magic is not bound or limited to the existence of an MMO.
    - Magic is I think more expensive.
    - Wow restricts itself by flavour a lot, in Magic you sometimes have much more wild experiments.

10+ Year Old Account
    why was this moved to video games ?

Deleted
    i dont think there are many wow TCG "players" compared to MTG so if you actually play it instead of just collecting id say go with MTG

10+ Year Old Account
    i used to play yu-gi-oh personally but i never understood MTG its a major pain to play from what ive seen

I have only tried Wow TCG a bit, but i truly love MTG. Go for MTG

10+ Year Old Account
    One is the most successful card game of all time and has been around for over 20 years, and the other is Wow tcg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magic plays a ton better due to having years to refine. It has more flavor and I have more overall fun with it. Also not many people play WoW TCG so finding a group isn't very easy.

An alternative is Pokemon which is taking off again and still pretty fun but it uses energy a lot like land.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played both, and invested hundreds of dollars in both and ill easily say MTG. Magic has more flexibility along with a much larger player base. Also odds are, any card shop near you probably hosts organized FNM (Friday Night Magic) which if the card shop is of any real repute, will be DCI Sanctioned so you can have your wins tracked as well as earn cool prizes (my fiancee and I just did a pre-release tournament Friday evening, it lasted about 6 hours and we both won packs and other prizes). I know some card shops held WoW TCG play nights but most don't anymore, many don't even carrying the cards any more. I just never felt that the WoW TCG offered enough variety in deck construction.

Also if you get a land dry hand or a land heavy land the first turn, that is what the mulligan rule is there for. A properly constructed deck will more often than not flow in a predictable manner, if you are having problems one way or another you just go back and review you deck. Also sites like www.Tappedout.net offer an online deck builder that breaks down everything from mana-spread to creature ratio and more, plus you can build a deck on there and draw a few hands, and than tweak it and draw a few more. Just so many more options in Magic.

Also Magic is only as expensive as you make it. You can play draft tournaments where everyone builds decks from a set number of booster packs, or you can play EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander) where about 95% of the cards ever made are still legal, its completely up to you.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only played a limited amount of WoW TCG, but from what I've experienced, it's not even close to MTG in terms of Depth, skill intensity, and general fun

MTG has a massive community, lots of tournament coverage, better support from LGS's, etc...

It's more expensive, though. Especially if you want to buy into older tournament formats like legacy (tournaments where cards from all expansions are allowed, excluding some ridiculously overpowered cards, and card that use ante). Decks cost up to $3000 there. However, if you keep to standard (the last 7-ish sets), or draft/sealed (playing with boosters) then it's relatively cheap, although standard in the long term becomes rather expensive as well (since you need a new deck every so often).

I'ld say go to your local game shop on a friday evening and participate in a FNM draft, see if you like it. People are pretty helpful.

As for the land thing, variance is a part of any card game, and sometimes you will have no-land hands that are unplayable. Some decks have more consistent draws than others, but that's the risk you take when you play with a lower land count. If you want consistent draws, then consider playing control decks, they have a higher land count and can search for the cards they need.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    LCGs > TCGs. I honestly don't see a good reason to play a game where 4 copies of a rare card costs more than an entire LCG collection.
    Netrunner was designed by Richard Garfield (creator of Magic: the Gathering) to "fix MtG problems" (you can find this interview on youtube), and it does it really well. That's my favorite one, but as far as I know, all FFG LCGs are good games.

Of course, if you are rich and like crappy games, you should Magic rather than WoW TCG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Of course, if you are rich and like crappy games, you should Magic rather than WoW TCG.
    Or you don't have to rich and instead play in formats such as draft games where everyone is on the same playing field. The misconception you are presenting of TCG is a common one that people who have played the game but struggled to do well, and so blame the card costs. You can play a draft game for 15$ and have the same amount of packs to pick cards from as everyone else, and if you are playing at a good shop, you can win a 90$ booster box. Which you can than trade/sell the rares and end up with a huge net gain.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The misconception you are presenting of TCG is a common one that people who have played the game but struggled to do well, and so blame the card costs.
    A TCG competitive deck is more expensive than a LCG entire collection. That's a fact.

You can play a draft game for 15$ and have the same amount of packs to pick cards from as everyone else...
    Or you can play a LCG and get exactly the same cards that everyone else gets, which is more balanced. Or you can play a DBG, where you also build your deck on the fly, and it is more balanced too. And guess what? Both are cheaper than playing MtG.