Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Portals that should be there but aren't

    Halfhill: portal to Org/SWC.
    Isle of Thunder: portal to Org/SWC. (Unless there's one I've missed.)
    Dalaran: the ones that used to be there.

    Where else?

    If we just had a "second hearth" item, or everyone was a monk, it would probably be fine.

  2. #2
    Why not give everyone six hearthstones?
    Jsz
    <The Requiem> US-Horde Mythic
    > twitch.tv stream <

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Why not give everyone six hearthstones?
    Better yet, a hearthstone drop down menu that will teleport you to whichever Inn you've previously attuned to!
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

  4. #4
    Blizzards servers would melt from all the QQ from mages

  5. #5
    Or just a chat box to enter you destination coordinates in?

  6. #6
    how about you can just open the map and click on where you want to go and it ports you there?
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

  7. #7
    People spent forever whining they wanted world travel back...hence reductions in portals.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    People spent forever whining they wanted world travel back...hence reductions in portals.
    The problem is if you are going back to work on old content for some reason (rep grinding, loremaster, whatever) you pretty much have to take that toon out of action, or else get used to awkward 5-10 minute wastes of time during flying/taxiing.

    An item that would port you to "wherever" on a, let's say, 4-12 hour cooldown? Sure, why not? That would get you out to Shatt for your fishing dailies, or Ogri'la, or wherever, once a day.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    The problem is if you are going back to work on old content for some reason (rep grinding, loremaster, whatever) you pretty much have to take that toon out of action, or else get used to awkward 5-10 minute wastes of time during flying/taxiing.
    How about guild cloaks that port you to you capital city? Which has a portal to Blasted Lands (which means 2 mins to Shattrath)? Which has portals to all Cata zones and Jade Forest?
    How about a ring that you could buy in Dalaran to port you there?

    Also, how about taking the portal to any major city from your MoP faction base?

    I really think 5 minutes of travel is an okay exchange for a bit of immersion. I like having portals, but they ARE there. Porting everywhere? No thanks, even if it's annoying sometimes.
    Last edited by Tolgrim; 2013-05-02 at 08:42 PM.

  10. #10
    Oh the nostalgia thinking of those 1hour hearthstones and 10 minute gryphon flights :').

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral sharpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere i call home.
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Oh the nostalgia thinking of those 1hour hearthstones and 10 minute gryphon flights :').
    The good old days how i miss them they were so much fun!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    how about you can just open the map and click on where you want to go and it ports you there?
    Then opening the map would be too much work.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 04:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Oh the nostalgia thinking of those 1hour hearthstones and 10 minute gryphon flights :').
    Neither were ever much of an inconvenience. Flight path = alt tab and check email, or go make coffee.

    I still use fp's probably 8 out of 10 times if I'm jumping more than 1 zone.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,201
    I don't have a huge problem getting to different parts of the world on my warrior, but that's because of all the various teleport items I have.

    Hearth - Set to Shrine of the Seven Stars (where you can port to various alliance cities easily from there).
    Jaina's Locket - Group port to Dalaran that you get from Shadowmourne chain.
    Argent Crusader's Tabard - Port to Argent Tournament (pretty quick flight to Dal from there).
    Blessed Medallion of Karabor - Port to Black Temple. Not exactly a central location, but at least it's a quick/easy way to Outland, aside from the fact that I can get to the Dark Portal instantly from Stormwind.
    Wrap of Unity - Port to Stormwind on 4-hour CD.

    Also can port to CoT pretty easily (from Dalaran), so that's usually my way to Kalimdor. It takes a bit of time if I want to go to like Darnassus though.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-05-02 at 09:00 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    how about you can just open the map and click on where you want to go and it ports you there?
    u can do that in guild wars 2 so that works

    My MaL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Draknalor For The Glory Of Ecchi

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    The problem is if you are going back to work on old content for some reason (rep grinding, loremaster, whatever) you pretty much have to take that toon out of action, or else get used to awkward 5-10 minute wastes of time during flying/taxiing.

    An item that would port you to "wherever" on a, let's say, 4-12 hour cooldown? Sure, why not? That would get you out to Shatt for your fishing dailies, or Ogri'la, or wherever, once a day.
    I'm not sure what the cooldown is but you can grow those portal seeds on your farm since the last patch.
    Also I've never had too much problem with transportation, you just have to know what portal items are available in-game and keep them on your person. I always carry my BT necklace, Dalaran ring, Wrap of Unity, hearthstone with guild perk, and Argent Tournament tabard. Plus as a Druid I have access to Portal: Moonglade, meaning I never need to set my hearth anywhere in Kalimdor. It'll take a while to get but once you have all those items (plus access to reputation-restricted ports like the one to the Caverns of Time from Shat) world travel really isn't so bad. If you need to get somewhere "instantly" you probably just aren't planning your time well.
    Last edited by Scunosi; 2013-05-02 at 08:56 PM. Reason: forgot another port item

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Noah37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    776
    I hear there is a GM mod-hack thing that lets you type in whatever coordinates you want to teleport to, however enjoy your ban if you use it. I played in Vanilla and still enjoy getting up and doing other things while I ride flight paths... I'm ok not being able to instantly get anywhere I want.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    I'm not sure what the cooldown is but you can grow those portal seeds on your farm since the last patch.
    Also I've never had too much problem with transportation, you just have to know what portal items are available in-game and keep them on your person. I always carry my BT necklace, Dalaran ring, Wrap of Unity, hearthstone with guild perk, and Argent Tournament tabard. Plus as a Druid I have access to Portal: Moonglade, meaning I never need to set my hearth anywhere in Kalimdor. It'll take a while to get but once you have all those items (plus access to reputation-restricted ports like the one to the Caverns of Time from Shat) world travel really isn't so bad. If you need to get somewhere "instantly" you probably just aren't planning your time well.
    I wouldn't mind it if ports were added that were reputation-specific, as long as it's not "do it all over again" for alts. In fact, travel for alts is mostly what annoys me.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    u can do that in guild wars 2 so that works
    That's one of the things I absolutely hated about that game. Un-immersive, needlessly expensive travel.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Better yet, a hearthstone drop down menu that will teleport you to whichever Inn you've previously attuned to!
    SWTOR did it, all runs just fine.
    Thanks a bunch for the Signature, Cthulhu Ftagn.

  20. #20
    Halfhill portal: No. Why on earth is this needed, you have to fly the tiniest bit to get to the Shrine capitals, where there are portals to every major city.
    IoT portal: Again, it doesn't take much to fly to Shrine, where there are a tonne of portals.
    Dalaran portals: Kind of useless. If you're in Dalaran, you've most likely got there from Shrine. Shrine has portals to everywhere.

    If you think the game needs more portals, then you're not using the current ones intelligently enough. With just a HS set to Shrine, you can reach pretty much anywhere in the game. Shrine gives you access to all of the capitals. Faction capitals all have portals to the Dark Portal. Shattrath has a portal to Caverns of Time. Stormwind/Orgrimmar have portals to Hyjal, Uldum and Twilight Highlands.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •