Poll: Do you support drones at every major American event?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    To add some information, all drone pilots are actual pilots that can fly planes/combat fighters in the military.
    I don't like the military mixing in with the police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheaper than using the police in helicopters or small planes, uses far less manpower, and can be equipped with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos to help detect and hopefully prevent another bomb from going off. Yeah, I'm all for it. Will our government/the military try to blow this out of proportion, abuse their authority and start using drones on all sorts of other things? Probably. But remember, freedom isn't free, if you don't like it, feel free to leave.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    To add some information, all drone pilots are actual pilots that can fly planes/combat fighters in the military.
    Actually, they're not. At least not the Navy's versions, they are enlisted personnel trained at Ft. Huachuca in Arizona, the same base that we go to Morse Code training for - I was there, and the drone pilots were housed in the same barracks I was.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-05-02 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Cheaper than using the police in helicopters or small planes, uses far less manpower, and can be equipped with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos to help detect and hopefully prevent another bomb from going off. Yeah, I'm all for it. Will our government/the military try to blow this out of proportion, abuse their authority and start using drones on all sorts of other things? Probably. But remember, freedom isn't free, if you don't like it, feel free to leave.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 11:04 PM ----------

Actually, they're not. At least not the Navy's versions, they are enlisted personnel trained at Ft. Huachuca in Arizona, the same base that we go to Morse Code training for - I was there, and the drone pilots were housed in the same barracks I was.
    Freedom isn't free so get out if you don't like it? What the hell does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    For every drone you will need at least 1 operator, no matter how efficient they are, operators that need a salary, benefits and pension. I really do not see drones becoming as widespread as people are claiming, the only way for that to happen is to put them under control of a computer Skynet style.
    Which is exactly what Computer Scientists who spend their lives with Robotics and Drones, like me, want to do.

When I see Skynet, I see a good idea. The smarter computers get... all computers... the better the world is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Which is exactly what Computer Scientists who spend their lives with Robotics and Drones, like me, want to do.

When I see Skynet, I see a good idea. The smarter computers get... all computers... the better the world is.
    Wow what an outlook. With all these robots what will people do for work?
    News flash the world was fine before computers and robots, some may say better.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Wow what an outlook. With all these robots what will people do for work?
    News flash the world was fine before computers and robots, some may say better.
    Use their brains, not their bodies. Our brains are the only thing in the entire universe that machines cannot do better than people.

It's a completely separate discussion but the rate of automation in manufacturing is going to accelerate. I mean 3D printed cars are already being actively developed. If "devices" of that sophistication can be printed, then fewer people than ever will be hired. Hell, you may not even neeed a human being in a loop. Have computer-controlled 3D printers manufacture new 3D Printers. All of a sudden you have a rudimentary Von Neumann self-replicating machine.

We're very quickly moving to a world where the only thing that matters is what can you do. There are already far fewer jobs in the world than there are people, and persistent unemployment is likely to get far worse, as the world'd economy transforms into a highly automated one with less and less human involvement. These kind of transitions have been happened before, on the scale of the transition from agrarian to industrial to post industrial economies and they've been difficult.

That is the price of progress.

When most of this work is out sourced and being run by robots where does someone get a job?
    When you are praising all this technology do you care that analysts are saying that currently USA has 2/3 the worlds middle class.
    In 2050 USA will have 1/3 of the worlds middle class.
    This is due to out sourcing and technology replacing a person in the workplace.
    China and India will have more middle class then we will if something doesn't change.

When most of this work is out sourced and being run by robots where does someone get a job?
    When you are praising all this technology do you care that analysts are saying that currently USA has 2/3 the worlds middle class.
    China and India will have more middle class then we will if something doesn't change.
    It doesn't matter if we have 2/3rds the middle class today and 1/3rd the middle class in 2050. It's actually a good thing. That means that the middle class has grown worldwide as human beings escaped poverty.

People will get jobs in industries that require creative or original thinking such as science, media and health care, and parts of the service sector. This is why it is more important than ever to invest in science and engineering education.

We're going to have a lot of unemployed people for a very long time, but we did when all those old Eastern Farms closed down in favor of industrialized / mechanized agribusiness.

The word for this is progress. People in these better jobs will be making more, and have higher standards of living than 10 hour a day factory jobs.

The great irony of "manufacturing" coming home is it is going to be entirely temporary, as technology pushes jobs out of it at home. We will manufacture here because the price of moving goods around will becoming a larger component in an items cost than human labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It doesn't matter if we have 2/3rds the middle class today and 1/3rd the middle class in 2050. It's actually a good thing.
    It's a good thing?
    Sorry middle class becoming poor or homeless isnt a good thing.

It's a good thing?
    Sorry middle class becoming poor or homeless isnt a good thing.
    That's not middle class. Middle class has an economic definition.. "middle earners" in a sense, not a population sized one. You can have a small middle class, a shrinking middle class and a growing one. And you can have a relatively poorer one (with respec to stagnant wages), but you can not have a "poor middle class". That's a contradiction. A world filled with poor people doesn't have a "large middle class". It has a "large number of poor"

The world is projected to have fewer numbers of poor people than ever before in the next 50 years, so that is not likely to happen in any event.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're essentially arguing that Industrial Revolution and all the advancements that came afterwards were bad for society. The whole "what will people do if that job is gone/automated" rhetoric was tired and pointless over a century ago. The reality is that society adapts. We've already replaced plenty of jobs in manufacturing with robotics. The world didn't end.
    No, it's due to developing nations advancing, and a middle class forming within them. The more important statistic, which you're ignoring, is what proportion of the world population is "middle class", compared to the US.

The projections I've seen show no real change for the US, but the middle class will explode in places like China and India, and that will dwarf the US', soley by the fact that they have about 2.6 billion people between them, to the USA's 300 million.

For instance; http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoz...than-americas/

Relevant quote; "Americans are not getting poorer so Chinese and Indians can get richer, according to the data."
    They have a combined population that's more than 8 times the size of the US population. If they had, proportionally, half the number of middle class citizens as the US, they'd still have 4 times as many middle class citizens, just due to that population differential. This isn't a "problem", unless you have a desperate need to keep other countries poor and destitute so you can feel like your own is better in comparison. Which is kind of like bullying someone to cheer yourself up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    So if they decide to monitor you from the moment you leave your house until you go back inside, it's ok then, since you're not a criminal?
    pretty much do in England anyway with the amount of CCTV we got here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    So if they decide to monitor you from the moment you leave your house until you go back inside, it's ok then, since you're not a criminal?
    It's not exactly nice, but the government is well within it's legal rights to monitor your public activities.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Boston Police Ed Davis Wants Drones For Next Marathon.
    If this happens then every major event will have drones flying.
    Sounds expensive and when do you draw the line?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3169613.html

Do you support drones flying around every major event in America?
    1) the reason they want to use drones is that they are cheep, not expensive.
    2) the police already have helicopters flying around your head and cameras all over the city, some extra eyes in the sky during high profile events like concerts and sporting events couldn't hurt.