Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Darkmoon Card, Non RPPM trinket, well itemized gear with lots of sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    Never ever do them with a Mage, Elemental sham.
    Frost Mage and Ele Shaman are the top 2 DPS for Cmodes...
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-04-29 at 03:44 PM.

Being a frost mage that has recently started going gold CMs, I can agree to this. I'm smashing two of the most skilled players I know in CMs and they're no scrubs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
    Yet virtually all top times, and most of the ones close to them, are from people using specifically chosen 463 gear.
    I hardly doubt that as well. For one: you can get over TWENTY extra sockets on your gear -> that's 6000 additional benefical secondary stats (or over 3000 mainstat) which isn't a small number after all, add that your 5100 hit won't get reduced is a huge bonus as well - in total we're talking about an insane difference. Or tank PoV: it's a 100k hitpoints buffer difference, yum yum!

They should just disable all sockets above a certain treshold, the end.

Does the Legendary Meta Gem work? Also, the Caster trinket with the huge Int on-use is great for Challenge Modes. Its already a 463, and it competed with 496 trinkets last tier.

Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. We want to add this as an option for people. The hardest part is figuring out what the scaling formulas and rules are. I know SimC made an educated guess. If anyone has extra info to point me too, that will be helpful. Once we know the formulas & rules, the hardest part will be figuring out where to put the 'challenge mode' button
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    The newest items are the best (besides maybe trinkets).
    Reason is pretty simple: Hit/Expertise does not get scaled down.
    They compensate not taking out of hit/exp by taking proportionally more out of other stats.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/06/bl...-gear-scaling/

The whole idea is to make higher ilvl gear not be more terribly more attractive. It is (in general), but only very slightly. Though unfortunately, it's getting to the point where even that "slight" amount isn't so slight anymore (another discussion here).

The irony of caring about gear in mode designed about not having to worry about gear. My group blew it without doing anything more than watching YT videos and copying the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
    Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. We want to add this as an option for people. The hardest part is figuring out what the scaling formulas and rules are. I know SimC made an educated guess. If anyone has extra info to point me too, that will be helpful. Once we know the formulas & rules, the hardest part will be figuring out where to put the 'challenge mode' button
    Awesome!

I´ll do some testing and try to figure the formulas out :P

I'm still wondering about the prince extra socket thing, since belt buckles and such aren't removed I'd guess this wouldn't as well? But then again the prince socket is only for sha touched weps and ToT weps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    The irony of caring about gear in mode designed about not having to worry about gear.
    Lots of truth to this. Once you get to the minimum level for what you need gear matters less than coordinated and really tight play. It can help a bit and you should continue to do what you're doing but don't overly obsess about it. If you're of a mind that the way to success in challenge mode dungeons is gear (as it is for the most part everywhere else in the game), you're liable to be a bit disappointed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    I'm still wondering about the prince extra socket thing...
    I tested this back in 5.1 and the extra multi-colored socket does work in Challenge Modes. I even went in without anything in the socket and gemmed it in the instance and saw a ~160 intellect increase from a Brilliant gem.

Also, I'd take that article with a grain of salt considering it was from July of 2012 before MoP was even released. I do not believe that this system is actually took effect. From my personal experience, I believe this system to never have been implemented.

Since there are no ilvl 463 Epic items, the least item qualety epics are ilvl 476 random scenario items, the answer is NO ilvl 463 items are blue, have a lower stat budget then epic items and are therefore not good for challange modes.

to be fair, as of this post I'm ranked 1 in the world in CMs, (according to wowprogress) and I don't have any gear below 476, and most of my gear is 500+. ilvl do matter for socketed gear, and ToT trinkets are OP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
    This post by shadowboy may prove useful: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post20685060

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Lots of truth to this. Once you get to the minimum level for what you need gear matters less than coordinated and really tight play. It can help a bit and you should continue to do what you're doing but don't overly obsess about it. If you're of a mind that the way to success in challenge mode dungeons is gear (as it is for the most part everywhere else in the game), you're liable to be a bit disappointed.
    Your comment makes no sense. Of course, gear doesn't matter much when doing Challenge Mode. You can do it with very suboptimal setups and with lot of 450 items. The idea here, at least the way it appears to me, is about optimization, to get the best result possible, as that goes through having the best gear as well as other factors.

Well, I just remember that once I was trying a blue Helmet with a 180int socket bonus over the 522 set helm with the 180 crit socket bonus and I lost like 60 int and secondary stats.

But I have to go home to proof that.

Although I do think there is a "perfect" challange mode set for each class, or lets call it the "best you can get" challange mode set.

Personally I dont have "really good" challange mode times... but that in my opinion more a problem of the class combo in which we did them.

Never ever do them with a Guardian Druid, Retri Pala, Holy Pala, Mage, Elemental sham...

I really think guardian druid is the worst you can get in challange modes... close to no mobilety, no stun immunety, no really great at ae tanking... and best thing is... if stunned = dead.
    I've been our #1 dps by a wide margin (ele shaman) on most runs so far. Having a frost mage alt, I don't doubt I would be very close to my ele's numbers with that toon. Both specs can do loads of AoE damage, which is king.

If anything, CMs feel a bit more ranged friendly. I think they are doable with mostly any comp, but it's better to max one for either caster dps or physical dps.

How will they alter the current Challenge Modes in the next expansion so that people who want the gear can still get it, but also so that it's not super easy because of the 5 level increase players will have?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure there is an option on AMR for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post

In term of dps ele shaman lose to warlock and potentially hunter depending on the situation. Warlock as the potential to out dps a mage too in some cms

Quote Originally Posted by ExoFanboy View Post
    How will they alter the current Challenge Modes in the next expansion so that people who want the gear can still get it, but also so that it's not super easy because of the 5 level increase players will have?
    I'm sure current challenge modes will be "locked", sort of like the end of a PvP season, but instead a challenge mode season. And the new expansion will of course bring new dungeons, with challenge mode difficulties.

They've never really supported making any sort of old content terribly relevant, I see no reason why they'd re-tune current CM's to the next level cap. You might still be able to enter them on that difficulty, but any record times would be ignored.

Deleted
    I find the topic of special gear farming quite fun to play around with. I have been constructing a CM set for my hunter based on the principle that has been brought up in this thread for a long while now. Saving every "optimal" gear piece since 476 items.

Gemslots are damn good, I have a pair of wrists from Tortos that nets me over 120 more agility compared to the 522 non gemslotted ones when they both are scaled down. The gemslots really add up with the insane amount of them in ToT and maybe in total gives me more then 1k more agility compared to the first set I wore into CMs.

As an example the special CM set gives me more the 4% more crit then my regular downscaled 522 raidgear. 4% crit together with the over 2k extra RAP is quite a bit. I concur tho that this is a sad gradual "nerfing" of the CMs, the abundance of gemslots are mostly to blame...
    Last edited by mmoc1396d682b9; 2013-05-02 at 07:01 AM.

Since there are no ilvl 463 Epic items, the least item qualety epics are ilvl 476 random scenario items, the answer is NO ilvl 463 items are blue, have a lower stat budget then epic items and are therefore not good for challange modes.
    People are still stuck in the "Purple has a higher stat budget for its ilevel" way of thinking? That stopped being true a few expansions ago. Ilevel is ilevel no matter what color it is.

It's true that some items are under or over the typical budget, but the reasons for that are known only to Blizzard and don't have anything to do with the color of the item's name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post

Because I was not refering to "Guardian Druids" in the post. Irony OFF

Propably the problem of me not beeing a native speaker. I did not mean to say Mages/Elementals are the worst classes in challange modes they are, in my opinion propably the best yo ucan have in there.

I was refering to the Druid... Just not possible in my opinion to get World Rankins with this Class combination. A Warlock in this Group combination would have been way better, so would be a DK or Monk tank. I only have to look at all top world rankins to see that they all( well at leat 90%) either use a DK or a Monk tank.
    Last edited by mmoc9238fc433e; 2013-05-02 at 08:33 AM.