The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

A10-5800k Performance in Gaming

I was considering going a mid-gamer. Nothing too hardcore, really just a plain computer build that can handle a few games. Nothing too hardcore and frames at playable 30/45 with just fine graphics setting.

Anyway, my setups going to look something like this

8 GB DDR 3 Ram - 1600 MHZ. Might OC it.
    No GPU.
    PSU - Probably 450 Watt.
    CPU - A10 - 5800k - Going to OC this, using the Noctua.
    HDD - 500 GB
    SSD - NONE. The extra speed for loading isn't worth it. I've tried it with and without and found it not in my favor.
    Case - Just a regular one, nothing too special.

Okey, I'm not too familiar with the AMD Trinity CPU with the built in APU. Either way. What I'm thinking of is OCing this CPU to around the limit.
    So my question - Would this be any kind of good setup? I know that I wont be able to play 1080p ULTRA FRAPS @60FPS streaming HD quality. But that's not what I'm going for. What I want is around 30-45 ish stable FPS on 1080p with graphics settings just fine.

If anyone would have any good benchmarks for the A10 that would be awesome. Either way, anyone know the limits of the A10 for OC and would that give me a performance increase?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I was considering going a mid-gamer. Nothing too hardcore, really just a plain computer build that can handle a few games. Nothing too hardcore and frames at playable 30/45 with just fine graphics setting.

Anyway, my setups going to look something like this

8 GB DDR 3 Ram - 1600 MHZ. Might OC it.
    No GPU.
    PSU - Probably 450 Watt.
    CPU - A10 - 5800k - Going to OC this, using the Noctua.
    HDD - 500 GB
    SSD - NONE. The extra speed for loading isn't worth it. I've tried it with and without and found it not in my favor.
    Case - Just a regular one, nothing too special.

Okey, I'm not too familiar with the AMD Trinity CPU with the built in APU. Either way. What I'm thinking of is OCing this CPU to around the limit.
    So my question - Would this be any kind of good setup? I know that I wont be able to play 1080p ULTRA FRAPS @60FPS streaming HD quality. But that's not what I'm going for. What I want is around 30-45 ish stable FPS on 1080p with graphics settings just fine.

If anyone would have any good benchmarks for the A10 that would be awesome. Either way, anyone know the limits of the A10 for OC and would that give me a performance increase?

Thanks
    No GPU? Gonna have a tough time hitting 30+ FPS on anything, even low settings, at 1080p with no dedicated graphics, no matter how powerful the CPU.

You want faster RAM if you want decent performance from that APU.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    IGP from the cpu can't handle 1080p for games beyond perhaps lowest setting on that resolution.
    if you really want to play on intergrated wait for the newest haswell chip with the new HD xxxx that is equal to a GT650M iirc. (http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-C...eForce-GT-650M )
    also when speaking of noctua which cooler exactly? (AMD does run quite hot and has a lower max temp from what i know)

Deleted
    Step up to at least 2133MHz RAM with lower latency, such as the RipjawsX 2133MHz 8GB kit with heat spreader. You will most definitely need to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for the memory voltages and compatibility, though.
    Last edited by mmoc5a460f7641; 2013-04-29 at 07:19 PM. Reason: need to pretend I know what I'm doing

Yeah, 1866MHz RAM is the slowest you should go for with an APU and no dedicated GPU.

I have PC set up running this chip with an asrock b75(?) runs Tera on highest settings with over 30 fps, not at 1080p though. The APU uses RAM as it's VRAM if I remember correctly, so the faster the ram the better.

A10-5800K's GPU performance is bit lower than Radeom 6670, so no, you can't play anything made in last 2-3 years at 1080p.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You're better off saving your money for an Intel platform with a discrete card honestly. Try to live with your current setup and have an eye watching in the future for Haswell or stretch your budget now for Ivy bridge. If APU's are gaining a lot from the RAM means you'll be overclocking this obviously but overclocking RAM can be painful. I haven't had any great experience clocking them and never could get anything higher than 100MHz.. My Corsair dominator platinums are not even doing 1866MHz but I haven't been tweaking it enough except I've bumped the Vdram to 1.65V.

Clocking RAM isnt just worth the risk with all the problems RAM can have. On my older system after a month or two the RAM started to refusing the overclock >.<

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    A10-5800K's GPU performance is bit lower than Radeom 6670, so no, you can't play anything made in last 2-3 years at 1080p.
    http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3551...-battlefield-3

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I built my brother in law a gaming rig, with an A8 5600k, and he plays Diablo III and Wow at max settings just fine. (No discrete GPU!)
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

15+ Year Old Account
    If the A10-5800k has enough power to play games smoothly depends a lot on what you expect to get.
    Very demanding games won't be playable on 1080p (e.g. Farcry 3 / Crysis 3). Even with low settings you will struggle to go above 20fps. Toning it down to 720p will get you playable fps and most of the time you will even be able to raise settings to mid. A lot of the games from the last 2-3 years will be playable just fine on 1080p. Probably not on max settings, but with reasonable mid-high graphic details you should not have a problem.

It would be nice to know, what games the OP specifically wants to play.

As already mentioned: If you get the A10, get fast RAM! 1866MHz minimum, better 2133MHz. Up to around the 2000MHz mark, the graphics performance will go up nearly linear with RAM speed. So if you compare 1333MHz to 1866MHz you should have a 20-30% higher graphics performance (and that with just investing a few $ into faster ram).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

It's semi-playable, but does not match with OPs requirement on either framerate or quality of settings.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    I built my brother in law a gaming rig, with an A8 5600k, and he plays Diablo III and Wow at max settings just fine. (No discrete GPU!)
    Not at 1080p he doesn't. My rig sometimes dips close to what I would say is "not fine" at maximum settings (some pushed further than ultra with WTF edits).

It's semi-playable, but does not match with OPs requirement on either framerate or quality of settings.
    He says he just needs 30-45 fps and he doesn't really need ultra settings. Telling me that I can't read while you can't read by yourself..

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    He says he just needs 30-45 fps and he doesn't really need ultra settings. Telling me that I can't read while you can't read by yourself..
    The benchmark you linked shows numbers at the bottom edge of what OP wanted and at shit low quality settings. Even though OP did not specify exactly all knobs and sliders he wanted in settings, I really doubt what you linked is what he had in mind.

It's irresponsible to claim it's doable when it's borderline. I'd rather say it's not doable because then the OP avoids costly disappointments. Everybody and their neighbors' granny knows A10-5800K is not suitable for 1080p gaming unless you're happy with 25-30fps on low to medium settings.
    Trolling should be.

The benchmark you linked shows numbers at the bottom edge of what OP wanted and at shit low quality settings. Even though OP did not specify exactly all knobs and sliders he wanted in settings, I really doubt what you linked is what he had in mind.

It's irresponsible to claim it's doable when it's borderline. I'd rather say it's not doable because then the OP avoids costly disappointments. Everybody and their neighbors' granny knows A10-5800K is not suitable for 1080p gaming unless you're happy with 25-30fps on low to medium settings.
    Well it's different for everyone so the borderline can't be "a fact" otherwise I can say 60 fps is the borderline because I'm used to 120Hz. I'm thinking that he's just a WoW player who doesn't mind playing at low settings with 30-40 fps, if that's the case this apu should be okay.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not at 1080p he doesn't. My rig sometimes dips close to what I would say is "not fine" at maximum settings (some pushed further than ultra with WTF edits).
    Umm he does, he bought a new Dell monitor that goes 1080p and still plays the game in max settings.
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Well it's different for everyone so the borderline can't be "a fact"
    Ehh? OP asked for 30-45fps, you link a graph with 29fps (on Radeon 6670, and the GPU of A10-5800K is weaker than that). There are no ifs, buts or questions if it's borderline or not. It's weaker than the OP asked for, not much but it still is.

I'm thinking that he's just a WoW player who doesn't mind playing at low settings with 30-40 fps, if that's the case this apu should be okay.
    Except in raids. Again that was one of those irresponsible claims that can cause costly disappointments.
    Trolling should be.

Umm he does, he bought a new Dell monitor that goes 1080p and still plays the game in max settings.
    Sounds like he did not change the resolution in WoW to 1080p. Just cause the monitor supports it does not mean he changed all the settings to display it. Also, perhaps his/your definition of "just fine" is much -much- different from everyone else's. That or he put a GPU in there after you built it. There is no way that CPU plays a -max- settings with 20+ FPS. Medium....maybe, but that's a really big maybe.

27 FPS full ultra low shadows @1080p with a couple of CPU intensive addons (like deathclock). System specs in signature. No way in hell that an A10-5800K is going to match that.