Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That *has* to be satire.
    Nope. It's not. Nor was it an isolated occurrence. This was a major rallying cry for the Tea Party during the health care debates.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Wow. The Preisdent of the United States can pass legislation?!?!

Oh wait he can't.

Congress created the sequester.
    Congress didn't provide details about how to implement it.

Frankly, I'm surprised Obama didn't have it target all those "small government" states, like he should have. Paying taxes is patriotic. I want my tax money to enrich my country. But if people in Tulsa feel differently, they shouldn't see a dime of it. Let them rot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    I think we should just do what tea partiers want. I want to see the elderly and disabled push and drag themselves to Washington, DC. We should just repeal all laws and re-start, for liberty, or something Jesus said. Christ.
    I think all non-fiscal legislation should have a 10-year sunset provision, by which it would automatically be up for a Pass/Edit/Fail vote 10 years after initial passage.

For fiscal laws, I would want a review period to be included, that would last past the next midterm election.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    I think all non-fiscal legislation should have a 10-year sunset provision, by which it would automatically be up for a Pass/Edit/Fail vote 10 years after initial passage.

For fiscal laws, I would want a review period to be included, that would last past the next midterm election.
    Ah, how about no. "Sunset clauses" are pretty stupid since it undermines continuity of legislation and only results in the legislature spending most of their time revisiting old laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account

Sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Ah, how about no. "Sunset clauses" are pretty stupid since it undermines continuity of legislation and only results in the legislature spending most of their time revisiting old laws.
    You do know that the average American violates 260 laws every year?

The government seems to have no problem renewing safe, non-controversial legislation like the Patriot Act.
    indignantgoat.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that the average American violates 260 laws every year?

The government seems to have no problem renewing safe, non-controversial legislation like the Patriot Act.
    Yeah, most likely local or state laws that have been overridden due to Federal legislation or court rulings.

Democratic governments are already awful at conducting long-term policy; let's not aggravate the problem.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I approve of the sequester. The government couldn't agree on how to compromise outside of it. Spending is down, Agencies will learn to work around it. Efficiency will go up, as it did in the private industry with the recession.

Also, The White House did come up with the idea for the sequester, they did so because they wanted to end the debt ceiling fight well before the election, and it worked. This is well reported. Yet Obama supporters are attacking people about it, even Bob Woodward. Which is the part I dont like. Very Nixon-esque tactics here. Come up with it, then place blame on others when it happens, then threaten members of the press for reporting on it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I approve of the sequester. The government couldn't agree on how to compromise outside of it. Spending is down, Agencies will learn to work around it. Efficiency will go up, as it did in the private industry with the recession.

Also, The White House did come up with the idea for the sequester, they did so because they wanted to end the debt ceiling fight well before the election, and it worked. This is well reported. Yet Obama supporters are attacking people about it, even Bob Woodward. Which is the part I dont like. Very Nixon-esque tactics here. Come up with it, then place blame on others when it happens, then threaten members of the press for reporting on it.
    What part of austerity being an incredibly stupid idea escapes you?

The only thing the sequester has accomplished is a reduction in liquidity and an eventual decrease in aggregate demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What part of austerity being an incredibly stupid idea escapes you?

The only thing the sequester has accomplished is a reduction in liquidity and an eventual decrease in aggregate demand.
    The part where the economy actually becomes worse. It's improving.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been improving for a significant period before the sequester actually came into effect. It remains to be seen as to whether or not the upswing will continue; based on what has been observed elsewhere, chances are that the sequester will simply prolong the recovery time.

I just hope other countries dont pick up on what happens when you call ollama's bluff.

"Then they direct agencies to place the cuts in areas of their budget that would hurt people the most. This is confirmed by multiple leaked internal memos"

Nothing new with these guys, they always cut medicare and other stuff that affects people to make their point. Im really surprised people havent figured this out yet, how has the black community advanced in the past 20 years? Yet they keep voting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    how has the black community advanced in the past 20 years?
    Considering the text many "conservatives" want taught to their children regarding history, I wonder how far many communities have advanced in the last thousand, cognitively speaking.

I am annoyed.

Not so much because of the cuts, but because it seems like the administration is purposefully imposing the cuts in a manner to create the greatest possible hardship.
    Yeah it has nothing to do with a Congress demanding massive cuts whatsoever. Nope it's all on the administration.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 08:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    You mean these guys?

Cause they seem confused as to what they want. Much like they are in favor of spending cuts, but can't tell you what they specifically would want cut.
    Noes, it makes perfect sense! They want to cut everything - except when it's "their" welfare checks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaria View Post
    Yeah it has nothing to do with a Congress demanding massive cuts whatsoever. Nope it's all on the administration.[COLOR="red"]
    Your definition of 'massive'... You might want to get that looked at.
    indignantgoat.com/

The sequester has barely started.

While the implementation of cuts is brutally stupid (and deliberately so), I've accepted that this is the only way we're ever going to see any cuts to the military - when both parties have plausible deniability.

I do love how fucking stupid the GOP is being here though. They get warned about all the stuff that's going to get cut when the sequester hits, then when it hits they call people in before congress and demand they explain why they're cutting stuff.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    First the administration creates the sequester believing Republicans would back down rather than fight it.

Then they direct agencies to place the cuts in areas of their budget that would hurt people the most. This is confirmed by multiple leaked internal memos.

Then they lie to us about the origins of the sequester, and the fact that these various agencies are legally permitted to move funds around in their own internal budgets to avoid personnel cuts.

Now they are placing blame on our Congress to fix the problem they created in the first place.

How do you feel about this game they are playing with peoples lives?
    Everything above here is wrong, and some of it is a blatant lie.

..and lets not get into the facts of the matter, all of what you see above is proven. I'm curious about personal feelings about how your government (both parties) are toying with us at a time we need better from them.
    This however, is basically what is wrong. Congress is doing nothing, again, in the hopes that the next election will allow their party to move forward with their agenda (both parties).

Best solution - 2014 election, every person is fired and new reps sent (House and Senate). And yes, I'm aware that only 1/3 of the Senate is elected every two years, just don't give a shit. Do it any way.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Obama didn't create the sequester himself, it was a bipartisan creation.

Next question.
    Wait, wait, wait, I heard STRAIT from the most reliable news source (Fox News) that Obama and his band of dems are SQUARELY to blame because the rich need to get richer and trickle down economics will work, as soon as it's allowed to work "unhindered."
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven