Laptop unable to turn on dedicated GPU

I bought an HP envy14 through Craigslist for pretty cheap. The computer ran smooth and the graphics switching worked fine for a few months but it came with a cracked windows 7 copy that started acting up so I used my Uni's free thangs and upgraded to Windows 8. Prior to this, when the Windows kept spamming with "your copy of windows is not genuine", the on board dedicated GPU started being exceptionally loud even when it was switched "off". A few weeks later it stopped working. Now it's still making the noise and just refuses to work. I went ahead and upgraded windows anyways because I was sick of dealing with those messages but this graphics card issue has been persisting for months. The laptop overall works perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Overheating or driver problems, or both. How much dust and other crap there is in the air vents?

Also don't understand why the laptop didn't come with legit windows since it was sold with one.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Also don't understand why the laptop didn't come with legit windows since it was sold with one.
    Either stolen, and they thought the license key could be 'tracked', the license key was removed and sold separately, or maybe just lost it somehow and couldn't use it to reinstall. That's what I see most often, anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Either stolen, and they thought the license key could be 'tracked', the license key was removed and sold separately, or maybe just lost it somehow and couldn't use it to reinstall. That's what I see most often, anyway.
    Possibly someone "upgraded" from Vista? I would place my money on stolen though.

Vents are all clean. Drivers all updated. Problem persists. The Windows I'm guessing was torrented and then cracked or some other deal....so yea, stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15