Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth it to get back into WoW right now?

I haven't really played since mid Cata and have recently found myself without a video game to play. Is it worth it to start playing WoW again? Since I haven't been keeping up on WoW information I don't really know how far into the expansion it is currently. Can someone help me out really quick?

EDIT: Also since I haven't been paying attention :/ is there another expansion after this one?
    Last edited by Gildedaxe; 2013-04-29 at 09:07 PM.

We're about half way through the expansion atm. Now would be the perfect time to come back.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel MOP is the best content WOW has ever had.

It would not take too long to "catch up". LFR makes Raiding easily accessible.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

I would say so. We near the end of the 2nd patch 5.2, and we should be expecting 5.3 in the next few months. There is never really a bad time to join back into WoW, it just might require a little catching up to do.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definatly, MoP Is awesome!

I'd say depends on what you are interested in.

Raiding really hasn't been better (in fact I'd say its awesome) and theres tons of extra sturf to do now like pokemon pets, farmvile...etc.

Its also pretty easy to catchup(at least in PVE), now that the exp from 85 to 90 has been reduced...and theres a new catchup rep available.

PVP is kinda a %$#$# right now but they are doing a ton of work on it for 5.3/5.4? Probably more work then they ever have. At that point PVP will also be getting a catchup system implemented as well...

I'd say MoP is my favorite expansion yet, which is remarkable because I can say that WHILE playing it! instead of the ol' "last expansion was better..."

If you enjoyed WoW before then I'd say theres never been a better time to join!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, I'm loving it, but would I ever recommend anyone to come back..na once you're out stay out is my advice, such a time sink, this is the best expansion so far for me.

Deleted
    I can't say WoW is ever worth going back to when you haven't played it from the start of an expansion.

You have missed so much gear, daily and honour grind you are not up to par with others, leaving yourself down in the mud, and it will take time to reach back up again.

There will probably be an expansion after this one, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    I can't say WoW is ever worth going back to when you haven't played it from the start of an expansion.

You have missed so much gear, daily and honour grind you are not up to par with others, leaving yourself down in the mud, and it will take time to reach back up again.

There will probably be an expansion after this one, yes.
    You are so wrong, it's not even funny. A guildie of mine resubbed after having only casually played MoP at the start. It took him all of 4 days to reach 90, get some decent PvP gear that now also works decently in PvE and has now been grinding LFR, 5-man heroics and scenarios (scenarios = quick and easy valor + justice to convert to honor + chance for ilvl476 epic). It took him a grand total of 2 weeks worth of LFR/crafting/PvP to get into our ToT raid team.

And he didn't do any daily or rep grinds worth mentioning.

Don't let anyone tell you 'you've missed too much to catch up'. That's simply not true. You don't have to do dailies. You don't have to grind rep. You don't have to do anything you don't like and still get anywhere you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played SW:TOR for a year, and decided to give MOP a try in a fit of nostalgia. Best gaming decision I've ever made.
    When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table...

It's alright, but you're going to be spending at least 2 weeks (more if your LFR luck is bad) playing catch up on your gear unless you quit Cata with a ton of gold.

I rerolled a DK tank and it's been a nightmare trying to get the ilvl to do ToT LFR, gear in the AH is stupidly overpriced and VP is capped at 1k. For some idiotic reason Blizzard opted to not bump the initial 489 rep epics to JP like they have in other expansions so you're forced to choose between blowing your VP just to get the ilvl to do the newest LFR, or saving it and hoping to get lucky on gear drops so you can actually buy the current gear. LFR itself is full of idiots who will whine and votekick if you even have a single piece of crafted PVP gear (which in some cases has perfectly fine stats for tanking, ie hit/mastery). Trying to pug T14 raids is even worse, people want 500+ ilvl to do HOF/TOES and normal MSV never happens anymore, just heroic. OpenRaid doesn't seem to be the solution either, been signing up for MSV raids to try and get some gear to no avail.

So yeah, come back for sure if you quit with a mountain of currency as you can just buy 522 epics and 502 weapon for 25-50k a pop and jump right in. Otherwise, it's going to be a lot of work. Especially since you won't have Grand Commendations to boost the rep grinds.

I haven't been this addicted to WoW in quite some time. At the end of Cata I was burned out and almost began resenting the game. I'm having tons of fun now. The expansion is great. If you don't know a lot about the new content and features I would suggest jumping right back in and discover them all for yourself. It's very rewarding!

Every time I see these posts I say the same thing. Dont go on what anyone else says as enjoyment is subjective. Haters are just going to hate and fanboys are going to fanboy.

If you want a free taste get the free version you can play up to level 20 and start out as a level 1 pandaren in the pandaren starting zone. Otherwise spend a little cash and try it out for yourself.

These kind of posts should be shut down for the same reasons as the 'tell me what class to play' because only you can decide if you enjoy it.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-04-30 at 05:41 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Every time I see these posts I say the same thing. Dont go on what anyone else says as enjoyment is subjective. Haters are just going to hate and fanboys are going to fanboy.

If you want a free taste get the free version you can play up to level 20 and start out as a level 1 pandaren. Otherwise spend a little cash and try it out for yourself.

These kind of posts should be shut down for the same reasons as the 'tell me what class to play' because only you can decide if you enjoy it.
    Yeh great logic, if you don't like it you're a "hater" and if you do like it you're a "fanboy" Lol, people need to realise what "haters" and "fanboys" are, Hint, They are not just anyone with an opinion

OT i would say sure go for it, it has a very different feel to it than Cata,even if you only stick around to level and see the story and new zones, I'd say it's worth it

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a counter balance to the positive comments I am going to have to chime in with a negative.

Although the expansion is decent and they have introduced a lot of content, some of the decisions they have made have pushed me to cancel my sub.

I have and always will enjoy dungeons and their decision to push scenarios as the small group content has annoyed me to no end. The gearing process for new characters or alts is now LFR which due to RNG and the ability to only run it once a week installs an artificial block along with a VP cap of 1K.

However, my experience won't be the same as yours so all I can say is give it a try for a while and see if you like it.

Deleted
    The dailies you missed are old news, you don't need them anymore. MoP is an amazing expansion, come back and have some fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    I have and always will enjoy dungeons and their decision to push scenarios as the small group content has annoyed me to no end. The gearing process for new characters or alts is now LFR which due to RNG and the ability to only run it once a week installs an artificial block along with a VP cap of 1K.
    Kill a rare, get a key, do the scenario get 15-20 coins, run a handful of lfrs and t14 normal modes and you get geared far faster. Its probably the easiest its been to gear a fresh 90 in a long time, I would be suprised if it takes one lockout to get to 485 ilvl. Crafted gear sells for pennies now as well.

What is this key you mentioned? No trolling, really curious lol. Which rares should you kill to get the said keys? And what are they for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the incredibly stupid amount of dailies in 5.0 mop has been pretty great, i've been playing for a solid month and would usually have been burnt out by now and gone to play another mmo for a few weeks to cool down :S

Now would be a great time to return, 5.3 is coming soon so it would allow you to catch up before new additions are made...

and yes there will most likely be more expansions, blizz says if we keep playing they will keep producing :P
    MOP is around 1/4-1/2 the way through depending on when they release an expansion :P
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-04-30 at 10:14 PM.

Depends.

PvE: damage specs are fine. Paladins/Priests for healing are OP but are getting nerfed. Decent tier, it's enjoyable. Some say it's better than Uldurar / Firelands but I think it's not that good, still decent though.
    PvP: Absolute mess. No need to comment on this but if you are coming back for PvP play chess or some other competitive game and avoid WoW.
    Other: CRZ has completely killed small/medium population server community. You'll have the joys of a horrible auction house and be able to share the same amount of mining/herb nodes as before but with 20-30x the population of before. Really makes leveling alts a pain.