new graphix card

Hi, i have a gefroce 9800 gt and i had it for about 3-4yrs now and i am pretty sure that i am due for a upgrade. What would be the next best card for me at this time? Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    asus geforce gtx 660

Quote Originally Posted by YUMP View Post
    Hi, i have a gefroce 9800 gt and i had it for about 3-4yrs now and i am pretty sure that i am due for a upgrade. What would be the next best card for me at this time? Thanks
    The question is, how much are you willing to spend, and or what sort of improvement are you looking to get - what games do you want to play?

Though, the CPU will probably limit you somewhat assuming that you still have an old one too.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    The question is, how much are you willing to spend, and or what sort of improvement are you looking to get - what games do you want to play?

Though, the CPU will probably limit you somewhat assuming that you still have an old one too.
    Im willing to spend around $300 and the only games i would play on it is WoW and cod

Deleted
    GTX 660TI or Radeon HD 7950.

Personally I prefer the 660TI due to its driver stability.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-29 at 10:48 PM.

Before you buy anything, what is your CPU, and what is your powersupply? With a such card, im pretty sure your CPU ain't better and your powersupply might be to old and won't be able to power a 660

What is the wattage of the PSU?

Also the 9800 GT seems to be running in a pcie 2.0 and newer card are running in 3.0. You will lose speed if you don't have a 3.0 pcie

Would be a waste to throw out 300 bucks in the windows for a card that you can't power up
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-04-29 at 11:36 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Before you buy anything, what is your CPU, and what is your powersupply? With a such card, im pretty sure your CPU ain't better and your powersupply might be to old and won't be able to power a 660

What is the wattage of the PSU?

Also the 9800 GT seems to be running in a pcie 2.0 and newer card are running in 3.0. You will lose speed if you don't have a 3.0 pcie

Would be a waste to throw out 300 bucks in the windows for a card that you can't power up
    You will not lose speed in most cases unless you have a card that can saturate a PCIe 2.0 16x port... which he won't be able to do on his budget.

Thouht the difference between those 2 version was much more than I saw on benchmark, but anyway, the PSU still a potentially source of problem
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Thouht the difference between those 2 version was much more than I saw on benchmark, but anyway, the PSU still a potentially source of problem
    The difference in minimum recommended power requirement between the 9800GT and the 660TI is minimal.

Of course, knowing what PSU the OP has would be helpful. But then so would having his complete system specs be.

No off-the-shelf gaming card can cap PCI-Express 2.0 x16 connector today. Not even GTX690 or Radeon 7970.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no "speed" Difference between PCI-E 2 and 3. It's bandwidth. That's like saying your car goes faster on an empty 3 lane highway than it does on an empty 2 lane highway.

Almost no card setup, let alone a mid tier one, saturates PCI-E 2. 3 is still a marketing gimmick right now.

And while the PS may be enough, it may not have the proper PCI-E power ports.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No off-the-shelf gaming card can cap PCI-Express 2.0 x16 connector today. Not even GTX690 or Radeon 7970.
    not 100% true , a 690/titan gets a minor bus bottleneck if not running 3.0. (however the performance loss is only from 0-2,5% orso)
    as for the OP a 7870 XT or a 660Ti are both very good cards for your needs. (hell you could even get by with a 650Ti boost from what i've seen so far)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    not 100% true , a 690/titan gets a minor bus bottleneck if not running 3.0. (however the performance loss is only from 0-2,5% orso)
    Doubt it's really bottleneck of the PCIE2.0 bus but better controller chips of the PCIE3.0 since the difference is so small.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.