Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    The Vengeance cap will only affect stuff like people Solo tanking heroic bosses and stuff like that as reaching your Vengeance Cap (even at 30%) will be very hard (while 2-tanking).

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    just nerf prot pala healing spells by 50% and its fine
    Wouldn't change much, if anything at all. Half our healing is overheal anyway.

But I'm sure you already knew that, because you've dug through combatlogs, skada reports and talked to a few protection paladins about their self-healing.

Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    The Vengeance cap will only affect stuff like people Solo tanking heroic bosses and stuff like that as reaching your Vengeance Cap (even at 30%) will be very hard (while 2-tanking).
    For me in 10man that is 201000AP in vengeance, almost every encounter on heroic in the zone i pass that point when trying to optimise vengeance just saying.

Since this seems to have turned into a general tanking discussion thread.

Do warriors need a huge DPS/TPS boost, or has every warrior I've ever tanked with just been doing something wrong? They all seemed to know what they were doing, and were definitely good players, but every time I've tanked with a warrior (as a druid) I've had to hold back quite significantly while offtanking, or risk stealing aggro back. This can be a bit frustrating, as I'm not able to play my own class to its full potential while tanking alongside a warrior.

I've never had this same problem when tanking alongside monks or paladins.

Deleted
    I think you're right Akylios.

I've been tanking on my Warrior lately and while I usually take less damage than anyone else my DPS/TPS isn't enough to compete and if I can't pop DPS cools for a tankswap I need to have the other tank tone down his DPS a bit so I can hold aggro.

So yea, Prot Warrs do need some PvE love but Blizz will probably be careful because they are already being used in PvP (I guess Swifty did have a hand in that).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fun to be 1shotting people without boa's in 10-15 bracket with avenger shield. Also hoj+avengershield combo op at that lvl pvp!

What I remember reading on this issue was that Prot Pallies are getting a bit of a nerf but the main issue is more that a lot of fights in ToT play to their strengths so Blizzard will be more wary of that in future :P

---------- Post added 2013-05-17 at 06:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Fun to be 1shotting people without boa's in 10-15 bracket with avenger shield. Also hoj+avengershield combo op at that lvl pvp!
    Been like that since Cata launch at least.

Low PVP is broke and ain't never gettin' fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    Do warriors need a huge DPS/TPS boost, or has every warrior I've ever tanked with just been doing something wrong? They all seemed to know what they were doing, and were definitely good players, but every time I've tanked with a warrior (as a druid) I've had to hold back quite significantly while offtanking, or risk stealing aggro back. This can be a bit frustrating, as I'm not able to play my own class to its full potential while tanking alongside a warrior.
    Every bear tank should know to switch to cat while not tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Every bear tank should know to switch to cat while not tanking.
    That was true back when the two specs were the same so you literally were a cat spec as well as a bear spec.

At this point as far as I know outside of Heart of the Wild, you're better off just staying in Bear Form the whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read up al 27 pages so far(ye work was boring).

In a way i,m happy i,ve gone for the survivability build as i,ve been tnaking since tbc playing since vanilla and one thing i know is fotm builds get nerfed bad when the lemmings start to QQ but i like my build i feel a tank needs to survive more than actually dps if i can take a hit keep my healers entertained with my thrilling heroics and hold aggro thats all that matters to me .
    We run with 2 paladins the other tnaks got the haste build but our healers hate him on boss,s he cant take a hit at all .I do honestly like how blizzard have overall not jumped on the band wagon so far and decided to knee jerk nerf a class not just paladin tonks but all classes .they also admit when they get it wrong etc .

The upcoming nerf is nothing major to me i lose 5 percent mastery roughly i,ll make that back up .and blizz have acknowledged they sort of played to paladin tanks strenghts with TOT but they learned from it .

In reference too people saying tanks have to stop hitting the boss on a tank switch thats not bad playing as far as i,m concerned thats actually team work .tanks are a small part of a raid team but if they dont work well together then the raid suffers learning each others strenghts and weakness,s is how you work better at it .

Take my offtank while i tank horridon he has a field day on the adds loves it enjoys every raid etc our healers can leave me for a bit and worry about the raid as i can take a few hits etc it makes the raid work better from the front line too the support .

In saying that i,ve tanked with warriors and deathknights and druids so far this expansion and i found that their egos went nuts seems all tanks are concerned about their dps (think i,m just stuck in the past )when a tank is expected to out dps a raid rather than survive and hold aggro thats the day the role becomes of no interest to me and will then probably pack it in.
    Faith Manages

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezarin View Post
    Read up al 27 pages so far(ye work was boring).

In a way i,m happy i,ve gone for the survivability build as i,ve been tnaking since tbc playing since vanilla and one thing i know is fotm builds get nerfed bad when the lemmings start to QQ but i like my build i feel a tank needs to survive more than actually dps if i can take a hit keep my healers entertained with my thrilling heroics and hold aggro thats all that matters to me .
    We run with 2 paladins the other tnaks got the haste build but our healers hate him on boss,s he cant take a hit at all .I do honestly like how blizzard have overall not jumped on the band wagon so far and decided to knee jerk nerf a class not just paladin tonks but all classes .they also admit when they get it wrong etc .

The upcoming nerf is nothing major to me i lose 5 percent mastery roughly i,ll make that back up .and blizz have acknowledged they sort of played to paladin tanks strenghts with TOT but they learned from it .

In reference too people saying tanks have to stop hitting the boss on a tank switch thats not bad playing as far as i,m concerned thats actually team work .tanks are a small part of a raid team but if they dont work well together then the raid suffers learning each others strenghts and weakness,s is how you work better at it .

Take my offtank while i tank horridon he has a field day on the adds loves it enjoys every raid etc our healers can leave me for a bit and worry about the raid as i can take a few hits etc it makes the raid work better from the front line too the support .

In saying that i,ve tanked with warriors and deathknights and druids so far this expansion and i found that their egos went nuts seems all tanks are concerned about their dps (think i,m just stuck in the past )when a tank is expected to out dps a raid rather than survive and hold aggro thats the day the role becomes of no interest to me and will then probably pack it in.
    The problem about "holding back" as the off tank, is that on progression fights with a tight dps check, you need every single bit you can squeeze out - that includes tank dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    The problem about "holding back" as the off tank, is that on progression fights with a tight dps check, you need every single bit you can squeeze out - that includes tank dps.
    It's just a matter of communication and knowing the other tank. Unless something is terribly wrong all you have to do is tone down your DPS for a few seconds. For instance, when I drop tanking, unless the enrage is REAAAAAAAALY tight what I do help with raid healing for a few second, by then I can safely start bashing the boss again with no fear of over-aggro.

EDIT:

My main offtank is a Monk and his DPS is so high I never really have to stop DPS to avoid overaggro. His DPS is just insane, he finished first on HC Horridon with like 290k DPS or something. When it's our Druid or DK tanking then yea, I definitely have to tone DPS for a bit after a tank swap.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that i can understand but we dont do heroic content at the moment...yet.but by that stage the 2 tanks will have worked together and adapted to it that the lose of dps would be negligable .So while i can understand what your saying it can be overcome with effective team work between the tanks .
    Faith Manages

Deleted
    It's just a matter of communication and knowing the other tank. Unless something is terribly wrong all you have to do is tone down your DPS for a few seconds. For instance, when I drop tanking, unless the enrage is REAAAAAAAALY tight what I do help with raid healing for a few second, by then I can safely start bashing the boss again with no fear of over-aggro.

EDIT:

My main offtank is a Monk and his DPS is so high I never really have to stop DPS to avoid overaggro. His DPS is just insane, he finished first on HC Horridon with like 290k DPS or something. When it's our Druid or DK tanking then yea, I definitely have to tone DPS for a bit after a tank swap.

Yeah, try tanking with a Warrior as a Guardian atm...... Sometimes I can't even auto attack. We're 7/13 Heroic, so it's not just the case of a nub Warrior. But Guardian dps/tps is just really strong.

Deleted
    Yeah, try tanking with a Warrior as a Guardian atm...... Sometimes I can't even auto attack. We're 7/13 Heroic, so it's not just the case of a nub Warrior. But Guardian dps/tps is just really strong.
    I guess them having to use their resource (rage) for pure defense doesn't help their threat generation much (Shield Block / Barrier) while, for instance, Paladins still do damage with their own AM (ShotR) so, yeah, that's another thing that keeps their DPS down since they have to tunnel most of their rage into defense while other tanks can still be on the offensive while keeping their mitigation up.

Deleted
    I guess them having to use their resource (rage) for pure defense doesn't help their threat generation much (Shield Block / Barrier) while, for instance, Paladins still do damage with their own AM (ShotR) so, yeah, that's another thing that keeps their DPS down since they have to tunnel most of their rage into defense while other tanks can still be on the offensive while keeping their mitigation up.

Idd which leads us back to this whole "nerf Prot Paladins". Imo they do scale a bit too well with Haste but had it not been for underpowered Prot Warriors and DK's in terms of dps, silly design for Guardians (forcing us out of form to use several utility abilities) and a Tier of bosses that heavily favor Paladins in general, I doubt people would have been complaining about them tbh. Cause Monk tanks are doing the same if not more dps than Paladins, Guardians can match a Paladin in dps as well. And people just forget, how Paladins mitigation works - they do a lot of self healing.... Just like DK's who too can do a lot of self healing. Imagine that DK's would scale with Haste just as Paladins.....

But oh well, kinda pointless to argue with people who barely knows anything about tanking and just glares at Recount and see numbers.

Tl;dr: Bad game design makes Paladins of all specs OP, only real nerf PROT Paladins need, is how well Haste scales for them.

Deleted
    But Haste tanking is so much fun

Deleted
    But Haste tanking is so much fun
    And it's not about removing Haste tanking from Paladins, it's about how well it scales. I'm all for the active mitigation tanking style and secondary stats being valuable but it needs to apply for all tanking classes in order to be balanced. Imo Brewmaster dps is over the hill as well, when comparing to Paladin and Guardian. But you just can't compare Paladin, BrM and Guardian to DK and Warrior tanks as it stands right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    Since this seems to have turned into a general tanking discussion thread.

I've never had this same problem when tanking alongside monks or paladins.
    Complete opposite for me, my offtank(drood) cant keep aggro on me for shit...its annoying...
    And he's not a bad bear at all, even after the growl hotfix its quite frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Complete opposite for me, my offtank(drood) cant keep aggro on me for shit...its annoying...
    And he's not a bad bear at all, even after the growl hotfix its quite frustrating
    He might be doing something wrong with his rotation, or maybe he's stacking mastery instead of crit?

If not, then I need to see your WOL so I can see what you're doing that my warrior co-tanks have not been doing.