Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Cleave names have got stupid, I'd rather they just list class abbreviations than use retarded names like "kung fu cleave" to describe a team without a Monk. Plus whenever I see KFC I keep thinking of fried Chicken!

Funny thing is UH Spec lost its Desecrated Ground ability so it doesn't really apply nowadays.

Probably would be better off calling it the STD Cleave (UH DKs spreading AIDs), or Necrotic Cleave.
    When the name was given, it still had that ability. For example, fmage rdruid spriest called god comp right now (came from pre 5.2), since they couldn't die. Now 2 patches later, some balance changes happend, sp got weaker, but it dosen't mean the name will change with it.

God comp is a god comp, people just used to call this setup that and eventually associate with it. Even if it dosen't feels so godlike anymore
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Never heard of any of the ones you pointed out.

Nearly all comp names that aren't abbreviations of the classes are, in a way, paying homage to the original people who ran the comp to a high level. TSG is the most recognisable one, used to describe DK/Warr/Pala because as other people have said, it was ran in a tournament with the team name "Teh Super Gosus". KFC is called KFC because of this thread. "Dancing with the Stars", the name for Rogue/Boomkin/Priest is fairly recent and was the team name of Samx/Mayo?/Khryl in one of the recent NAO tournaments.

Most of the stupid ones don't get picked up by the masses though, and hopefully 'bumcleave' is just a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Most of the stupid ones don't get picked up by the masses though, and hopefully 'bumcleave' is just a phase.
    Can bumcleave be two undead rogues and an undead priest please? Either bumcleave or trampcleave.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    When the name was given, it still had that ability. For example, fmage rdruid spriest called god comp right now (came from pre 5.2), since they couldn't die. Now 2 patches later, some balance changes happend, sp got weaker, but it dosen't mean the name will change with it.

God comp is a god comp, people just used to call this setup that and eventually associate with it. Even if it dosen't feels so godlike anymore
    Funny, it used to be called Shatterplay and ShaTREEplay.

You never had a boring moment doing arenas when African Turtle Cleave was still a thing =P

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    would be handy to have an up to date list of all the team comp names for beginners reference :3
    I just posted one: http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/644...ion-tier-list/
    Pawzz, ArenaJunkies

10+ Year Old Account
    i liked when people were talking about the comp "KFC"... always made me super hungry.. lol
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Communities will always generate vernacular to set themselves apart from the rest.

I mean MMO champion is more or less a wow community and look at all the people in this thread who don't know what these things mean. The competitive arena folks have created these terms to be used by themselves as a way to designate their 'specialness' among the greater wow community. No one outside of that community has any reason to know what they mean and so few will know.

It is just a basic human behavior.

As to the stupidity of the actual names themselves, well, all I can say is that you have to consider the composition of the community that created them. Should explain it pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post

stop.

its called shatterplay.

please.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Always like seeing new hilarious names arise even if it's for comedy purposes. But yes most of them are a bit overboard.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRONIClinex View Post
    stop.

its called shatterplay.

please.
    How is that any better of a name than god comp? I love how people get like offended when its named God Comp, when it was pretty godlike lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    How is that any better of a name than god comp? I love how people get like offended when its named God Comp, when it was pretty godlike lol.
    It's more of the fact it's been named Shatterplay since Wrath and its silly to change it's name now.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    according to wowwiki hitlercleave is, 2 unholy dks and holy paly. called hitlercleave because 2 unholy dks are sure to spread around lots of toxic gas.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Cleave_(arena_term)
    I can't stop laughing at this haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsz View Post
    Cheers for that ^__^

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumast View Post
    It's more of the fact it's been named Shatterplay since Wrath and its silly to change it's name now.
    So, actually - we (people in my circle of friends, which includes a lot of oldschool pvp spriests, notably) use the terms Shatterplay and God Comp slightly differently.

The original etymology here of note is Shadowplay - Shadowpriest, Affliction Lock, Resto Shaman - which is a Season 1 comp that did pretty well, but didnt rise to real power until survivability went up in Season 3 and Season 4 (at which point it was a rank 1 capable comp, and a lot of fun).

A less popular but also quite capable variation replaced the Affliction Lock with a Frost Mage - this was Shatterplay (a pun on Shadowplay): Shadowpriest, Frost Mage, Resto Shaman.

Both of these comps also had Resto Druid variants. Shadowplay that used a Druid became Shadowtree - Shadowpriest, Affliction Lock, Resto Druid. While Shatterplay with a druid became by extension - Shattertree - Shadowpriest, Frost Mage, Resto Druid.

Shattertree is not a pretty word, it has too many guttural T's and R's - so it never really became as widely remembered as Shadowplay and Shatterplay - but made logical etymological sense given all the above history - if you were familiar with Shadowplay and Shatterplay and Shadowtree - Shattertree was self-explanatory - but standing on it's own it was mostly indecipherable.

God Comp was named by someone outside the Spriest community only during MoP (which is the only time it has been an exceptionally good comp, in the past it was always an inferior variant of Shatterplay). The intention was obviously to denigrate the comp for being broken (as would having God in your arena team be) - and while I fought the name a lot more and tried to correct people in 5.0 - I think it's probably stuck for good now, and frankly - Shattertree was an ugly sounding name anyways - but technically God Comp is Shattertree, not Shatterplay

@OP

I haven't heard of any of those comps before o.O
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-05-01 at 09:29 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Well AJ says, shatterplay is actually with rsham, even though I always called shatterplay the one with rdruid, because there werent many with rshams in history.

But there is already enough S-starting teams, godcomp has a ring to it, and it's quite original by first and also second word, so it will stick.

I guess I will call it Shatterplay when there is actually rsham in team, and shattertree (which is bit silly) will become past.

My personal favourite is Leave cleave lol, double healeris very frustrating, double healer dk would be frustration cleave

First "cleave" team I ever remember seeing was when we had beast cleave during S6...then after that the term "wizard cleave" was coined for random groupings of casters (which thanks to ICC pve gear were absolutely retarded). Not sure if there was a specific comp for wizard cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Snip
    I always called the druid variant ShaTREEplay. You avoid all those pesky repeating consonants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumast View Post
    I always called the druid variant ShaTREEplay. You avoid all those pesky repeating consonants.
    Same here. Godcomp never really coined on with people I play with. Not sure if it was more of a US thing.

When I heard people say TSG when the gates would open my mind always translated that into Ten Second Games. That was about how long it took to know if you won or lost.