Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    School is more about learning to learn than anything, and these subjects are as good to know as anything.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    they should def simplify it and give you useful stuff in stead like writeing a resume public speaking forceing people ot take home ec so you know hwo to cook and sew and take care of a baby or woord shop so you know how to fix your kitchen chair and what not

since highschool ive never used logs or anything from math......and still dont know how to write a resume and im 24

oh yea and get the fuck away from this color int he dot standardized testing horse shit i hated that stuff so much all it did was piss me off
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

I'm still waiting for to put my vast knowledge of history to work. Any day now universe when you want to teleport me back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    You solve calculus while you drive? Sheesh, someone should take your license...
    Stopping distance is important!

I'm sorry, there is no such thing as a useless subject. I see several people mentioning history and I can't help but be worried. History teaches us a great deal about where we as a people came from, the ways we developed, the problems we encountered and hopefully gives us an idea of how to avoid said problems in the future. But all this is from the perspective of an acknowledged and unabashed history nerd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Helping View Post
    I'm still waiting for to put my vast knowledge of history to work. Any day now universe when you want to teleport me back in time.
    Hehe, yep...

Not from secondary school. All of those subjects are useful to some people and there's no better time to figure out what subjects interest you.

Should these subjects be removed from Post-secondary school? Yes. Or at least not mandatory. Far too many students are going tens of thousands into debt to pay for college educations and are forced to take classes that are no use to them in order to get a degree.

History as a whole should be removed.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." History teaches us where we came from and what we've been through. You might not realize it, but you use that information all of the time.

Please, tell me at what point in your daily routine do you mix chemicals or solve calculus?
    Those classes were not required at my school.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using it to not propose the utilization of ideas that were disasters the last time we tried them.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaosKnight83 View Post
    I'm sorry, there is no such thing as a useless subject. I see several people mentioning history and I can't help but be worried. History teaches us a great deal about where we as a people came from, the ways we developed, the problems we encountered and hopefully gives us an idea of how to avoid said problems in the future. But all this is from the perspective of an acknowledged and unabashed history nerd.
    I could see your countrie's history being important, but other than that... Do i REALLY need to know and write a 500 word essay about a tiny battle in a tiny war in a tiny country that nobody remembers/cares about?

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Not from secondary school. All of those subjects are useful to some people and there's no better time to figure out what subjects interest you.

Should these subjects be removed from Post-secondary school? Yes. Or at least not mandatory. Far too many students are going tens of thousands into debt to pay for college educations and are forced to take classes that are no use to them in order to get a degree.
    I have to agree with this... Why do I still need to take a history class in college. Hell why do I need an art class too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.".
    Not Helping would love that.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaosKnight83 View Post
    I would argue that history, in schools, is useless in its form.

If I went back through school, 6 years of history or social studies or whatever, and replaced my classes with just historical movies or books, I would've probably learned 100x more history than I learned in school. I don't need to know when the war of 1812 was (I think it was in 1812). I need to know what it was and why it was important. There is almost zero value in memorizing a useless fact other than getting your tab paid on trivia night.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." History teaches us where we came from and what we've been through. You might not realize it, but you use that information all of the time.

Those classes were not required at my school.
    Yeah the requirements at my high school were 3 years of math completed at least through Algebra 2 so you might end up doing 4 years if you weren't that smart. 3 years of history and science, no requirements on what classes, and 4 years of English. Oh and 1 year of parenting, which was just dumb.

Deleted
    So this is my 2 cents:

School is there to teach the generality of things, so that once you apply for college you won't have to learn stuff from the ground up. It's also important to teach as much as possible before you have to make the decision of what to do with your life. The earlier you have to choose, the easier it is to screw up and regret it.

You have to see school as a sort of pre-college, that introduces children to the variety of stuff they can later learn much more about.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    This quote been debunked so many times. We are still making the same mistakes nothing changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    This quote been debunked so many times. We are still making the same mistakes nothing changed.
    Because, perhaps, people aren't actually learning from it?

1) They are generally not as useless as some people like to dismiss them as.
    2) School exists to teach you skills that can be gleamed from subjects where you don't make use of the knowledge.
    3) Useless to you, vital to someone else.

I could see your countrie's history being important, but other than that... Do i REALLY need to know and write a 500 word essay about a tiny battle in a tiny war in a tiny country that nobody remembers/cares about?
    Although I think history classes should be akin to humanities classes, think of that writing as practice. There will be a time in your life when you have to communicate, in writing or speech, to an entity yet to be determined. Unless you work a blue collar job and have no legal obligations at all, it will be very important for you to communicate well someday. Communication is another great asset that education fosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Because, perhaps, people aren't actually learning from it?
    Humans will not change no matter what. If they didn't learn the first few times they certainly are not going to learn now.