Page 1 of 2
LastLast

4k resolution monitors...in surround.

Can it be done?

Sure, why not?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

With 60 fps? lol

Since you've apparently never used Google to discover WSGF, here you go:

http://www.wsgf.org/
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by djcoin View Post
    With 60 fps? lol
    60fps in what under which circumstances? Your questions lack substance.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Well I meant 60 under any reasonable circumstances but lets just say world of warcraft with "fair" settings for kicks.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    60fps in what under which circumstances? Your questions lack substance.
    Lack substance would be putting it nicely...

Anything is possible OP... with the right technology and horsepower. Say you wanted to run WoW at 3x4k monitors at 60 fps, I'd tell you that sadly, that will not be happening for some time at maxed out graphics.

Is it possible though? Certainly. Just wait a few years. The GTX Titan will be the first GPU to really truly support 4k, as previous ones simply barely have enough membus or VRAM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Now do it with these lol c:

TBPH this just reminded me of the old Alienware prototype of this from long long ago, so I had to see if anything ever came of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, you ask superfluous questions without any substance to the actual question.

Anyway..I'm going to have to say...no. Not yet. The Titan is the only card currently out that supports 4k resolution on a single monitor and to run most new games at 60 FPS flat at ultra settings (why would you turn graphics down so you can have a ridiculous resolution?) you'd need 3-4 of them, which ignoring the cost of such a thing, has serious issues with PCI-E throttling and just flat out CPU throttling. An X79 board can only do 16/8/8/8 i believe, in a 4 SLI config (40 lanes maximum.) you'll likely experience major bottlenecking and your 4 titans will be useless. Theres some benchmarks out there (don't have the time nor do i want to spend the time to look it up) that benchmarked 3/4 titans in SLI and it had major bottlenecking going on. In some games 2 or 1 titan(s) ran faster or identical to 3/4 titans.

So no, it's not possible. Not yet. And to be honest i think it'll be a while before it is.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-04-30 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Since you've apparently never used Google to discover WSGF, here you go:

http://www.wsgf.org/
    And you apparently can't read, 3 4k resolution monitors as in 12k resolution not 4k. It cannot currently be done without horrible image distortion and nothing shy of 3 titans would power it anywhere near 60fps on nearly any game of modern times and modern graphics. I doubt we will see games really go to this size because it would potentially make near 360 degree FoV or be horribly distorted in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    And you apparently can't read, 3 4k resolution monitors as in 12k resolution not 4k. It cannot currently be done without horrible image distortion and nothing shy of 3 titans would power it anywhere near 60fps on nearly any game of modern times and modern graphics. I doubt we will see games really go to this size because it would potentially make near 360 degree FoV or be horribly distorted in some way or another.
    I'm well aware of the question, and of the answer. The OP has a habit of asking silly questions without once touching a search engine. I pointed him to WSGF because most of his questions are about Widescreen gaming.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    As usual, you ask superfluous questions without any substance to the actual question.

Anyway..I'm going to have to say...no. Not yet. The Titan is the only card currently out that supports 4k resolution on a single monitor and to run most new games at 60 FPS flat at ultra settings (why would you turn graphics down so you can have a ridiculous resolution?) you'd need 3-4 of them, which ignoring the cost of such a thing, has serious issues with PCI-E throttling and just flat out CPU throttling. An X79 board can only do 16/8/8/8 i believe, in a 4 SLI config (40 lanes maximum.) you'll likely experience major bottlenecking and your 4 titans will be useless. Theres some benchmarks out there (don't have the time nor do i want to spend the time to look it up) that benchmarked 3/4 titans in SLI and it had major bottlenecking going on. In some games 2 or 1 titan(s) ran faster or identical to 3/4 titans.

So no, it's not possible. Not yet. And to be honest i think it'll be a while before it is.
    To be fair, future driver releases should fix this.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To be fair, future driver releases should fix this.
    Perhaps. But right now in a lot of games 3x and 4x SLI scaling isn't that spectacular, and, in some cases, negative scaling.

tri and quad SLI configurations already struggle in a lot of games with 5760x1080. Let alone 12k resolution...i seriously doubt any driver improvements will fix that any time soon.

Compared to 5760x1080 surround it will have exactly four times as much screen space, which means roughly one quarter of the FPS you get with current system.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Compared to 5760x1080 surround it will have exactly four times as much screen space, which means roughly one quarter of the FPS you get with current system.
    Sounds terrible imo, I mean current systems are decent at best @ those resolutions but for real even 20% performance loss is severe imagine 50%??? NO TY, 5 years and those setups will be normal~ hopefully.

Yup, but u wont be playing in that resolutiono

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    So, if you've got around £65000 spare, then yes, it can be done.
    Without any guarantees of playable framerate though, since nobody has tested those with actual games.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I just don't see GPU getting that powerful in foreseeable future. You don't get double performance every 2 years anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post

Asrock x79 extreme11. x16 x16 x16 x16

But yeah, don't expect anything like this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Don't NVIDIA consumer GPU's (Geforce) have a 2560x1600 max resolution? The 670 and 690 show it.
    "Max resolution" in what sense?

My 570 renders 2880x1800 just fine.