High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Looks for tips on reviewing WOL's for a hunter

Looking for some advice on reviewing my WOL's as a hunter and wondering if you could help me with the below:

These are all assuming single target fights as SV and no down time in the ability to attack the boss.

- Explosive Shot
    If I go into a kill / details for my character/ Damage by spell
    Do I add hit# + crit# together for the total amount of ES's fired?
    Given the way LnL works, is the best way to work out how many I should have fired in a fight to load myself in FD, set fight legth to be the same as my kill and use the breakdown at the bottom of the page for ES?

- Black Arrow
    Up time should be above 66.6%? Given the 30 second CD 20 secondup time? But with readiness means getting at least one up (or more depending on fight length) directly after another drops off. What would be a good up time here?

- Serpent Sting
    Uptime should be as close to 100% as possible

- Glaive Toss
    It appears twice which I assume is each Glaive given the number of hits / crits comibined is the same for both?
    Total number should be close to fight length in seconds divded by 15?

I am unsure how to review Cobra and Arcane. I see Arcane should be higher then Crobra no idea what else I should be looking for. I am also unsure how to review MoC's and Kill Shot, any suggstions?

Anything else thats good to look for/ check?

The full details. I feel I am lacking in the dps I should be doing. My guild are 12/12 now and starting Heroics. I am new to the guild and our lowest dps. I am however the least geared character but I feel the difference is bigger then it should be. I know for specific help on fights I can post and link WOL's for people to help review but I am interested in trying to be able to do this myself. I am starting by reviewing fights such as Jin'Rohk, Megaera, Durumu and Ji-Kun since they are pretty straight forward and I feel I should be getting close to theoreticaly best dps posible on these.

If you're looking for a really quick (and not entirely correct) way to tell how good a hunter is:

Greater than 40% uptime on ES
    Near 100% on SS
    around 80% on Black Arrow
    Glaive Toss around ~3.5% of damage on each one it registers

The slightly more complicated way to do it:
    For explosive shots, combine the number of hits and crits (not ticks). Then go look at how many LnL procs you got, multiply that by two, and subtract that number from the number of hits/crits that you just did. Take the total length of the fight in seconds and divide that by the number you got. Ideal numbers are around 6.2 to 6.8 but it's kind of dependent on RNG (for example, if you get a LnL proc at 5.9 seconds after your last ES, you'll be a minimum of 2 seconds late on that ES and there's nothing you can do about it.)

For Glaive Toss, just combine the hits and crits on one of the categories and divide the length of the fight by that number. It should be around 15 seconds.

Black Arrow is kind of hard to judge. 80% uptime is pretty much perfect, but it's entirely possible that pure RNG or the mechanics of the fight could put you at like 75% or something.

Arcane/Cobra is harder to gauge. The best way to do it is to find a good hunter parse on WoL (using your same talents) and use http://raidbots.com/comparebot/ to compare your numbers. As a general rule of thumb though, you should be GCD locked and only delaying things by a maximum of half a second to get an upcoming ES/GT exactly off cooldown. Anything past that you just cast another shot and eat the lost cooldown time (hence why ES/KC times should never be exactly 6 sec)

Black Arrow actually has a 24 second CD once you take into account the passive spec bonus- why they didn't just bake it onto BA I have no idea. The readiness basically just saves you 4 seconds of downtime once every 5 minutes on a single target fight.

Yes, Glaive Toss hits twice on a single target per cast, so that's why they're both showing up.

I'll second the suggestion of using Comparebot- comparing to my site isn't a bad idea, but comparebot will give you a closer match to the actual fight design. If you do use my site to compare, definitely adjust the fight length, buffs and any other factors that might throw off the results.

Also you can use the expression editor in WoL to get a list of all your abilities used, then graph them on a timeline, which helps you see if there are any gaps in your rotation.

I use the expression editor to find when I fired ES, and not the damage it does on the boss (since that includes ticks and can get messy). That gets you a quick overview on how many ES you fired. I also track when I get the LnL buff.

Then I look at how many LnL procs I got (I believe that's under the buffs gained tab). I subtract 2xthat number from my ES count. Then I take that number and divide it into the fight length. Then I look at discrepancies: Did LnL proc 0.3s after ES came off CD and I hadn't fired it yet, therefore losing one potential ES? Excusable. Did it proc 1.3s after ES came off CD and I hadn't fired it yet? Not excusable. What was my BA uptime? Did I ever use it on an add that died before its 20s duration was up when I had another option?

The key to maxing your DPS is getting an ES every 6s or so, max, along with GT every 15s, and BA every 24s. Worry less about AS til you have those down, find where your comfortable threshold is for fitting in CoS before an ability needing focus is up, etc. Find out where you feel comfortable playing with, focus wise. I tend to play SV at a fairly low focus. with spikes around 24s - 30s for BA and Fervor. I never play above 80 focus except when AMoC is coming off CD. I find 40 focus (enough for an ES + GT) is kind of a general sweet spot.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks heaps. Appreciate the feed back.

Wasn't even aware of compare bot, sounds like a great way of comparing.

PLaying with the expression editor now.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Conando View Post
    The slightly more complicated way to do it:
    For explosive shots, combine the number of hits and crits (not ticks). Then go look at how many LnL procs you got, multiply that by two, and subtract that number from the number of hits/crits that you just did. Take the total length of the fight in seconds and divide that by the number you got. Ideal numbers are around 6.2 to 6.8 but it's kind of dependent on RNG (for example, if you get a LnL proc at 5.9 seconds after your last ES, you'll be a minimum of 2 seconds late on that ES and there's nothing you can do about it.)
    Does this mean you prioritize ES over everything else? I thought GT and Fervor/DB still came in higher.

Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    Does this mean you prioritize ES over everything else? I thought GT and Fervor/DB still came in higher.
    ES/CS/KC are always prioritized over anything else for each spec(rotation-wise).

Deleted
    Black Arrow > Dire Beast > Kill Shot > Glaive Toss > Explosive Shot , Fervor is off GCD. During LNL same thing as LNL has 10 sec CD you're not wasting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastoz View Post
    Black Arrow > Dire Beast > Kill Shot > Glaive Toss > Explosive Shot , Fervor is off GCD. During LNL same thing as LNL has 10 sec CD you're not wasting anything.
    Wrong way around.

ES > KS > BA > GT

SV no longer uses DB, Fervor is superior in every scenario. Also LnL has a 10 second Internal CD, which means you have the potential of proccing it every 10 seconds, but it isn't guaranteed, you can go 1 LnL without a single proc sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Wrong way around.

ES > KS > BA > GT

SV no longer uses DB, Fervor is superior in every scenario. Also LnL has a 10 second Internal CD, which means you have the potential of proccing it every 10 seconds, but it isn't guaranteed, you can go 1 LnL without a single proc sometimes.
    Isn't KS's DPET higher?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    Isn't KS's DPET higher?
    you want to keep ES on CD as much as possible because of LnL. if LnL procs when ES is off CD, you've wasted a ES. naturally, if LnL procs in the GCD before you should cast ES, you'll miss an ES shot, but that's just RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    you want to keep ES on CD as much as possible because of LnL. if LnL procs when ES is off CD, you've wasted a ES. naturally, if LnL procs in the GCD before you should cast ES, you'll miss an ES shot, but that's just RNG.
    LnL has been a factor for a very long time, but I've never before read that ES took higher priority. FD still prioritizes KS over ES for instance. I mean, given the small window to use it in, delaying KS to hit an ES or a ES proc can cost you a KS as well.

[QUOTE=Scrooge McDuck;20971115]you want to keep ES on CD as much as possible because of LnL. if LnL procs when ES is off CD, you've wasted a ES. naturally, if LnL procs in the GCD before you should cast ES, you'll miss an ES shot, but that's just RNG.[/QUOTE]

And that's the worst thing ever and I hate it. But all this is correct.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Rullis;20974723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    you want to keep ES on CD as much as possible because of LnL. if LnL procs when ES is off CD, you've wasted a ES. naturally, if LnL procs in the GCD before you should cast ES, you'll miss an ES shot, but that's just RNG.[/QUOTE]

And that's the worst thing ever and I hate it. But all this is correct.
    you're not alone. if a ret paladin gets an art of war proc when exorcism is nearly finished, that's also wasted.