Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Bashing Cataclysm...why?

Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Im really interested why ppl didnt like Cata.

For me, Cata wasnt best expansion (wotlk and tbc are), but still, I cant say it was bad. It had great 5-man heroics (loved DM prenerf), we got old world flying, rewamp of old world zones.
    Only bad thing were raids, DS in particular, maybe cos it lasted too long.

What do you think?

Honestly because they spent so much time on the refurbish that almost every other aspect of the game suffered in one way or another. Also it honestly felt like once they realized it was not doing well they rushed to finish it before it could do too much damage to their sub numbers.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

Because it's a stupid as all hell one shot mechanic that's frustrates me when my enslaved pit lord fails to interrupt it by charging Ebonlocke for whatever reason.

But mostly I'm just really pissed off that blizzard trolled me with it. I was looking forward to having a sweet ass looking AOE ability on my destro lock instead of just rain of fire and multiple copies of my single target spells. Most uncool blizzard.

DS was a low point, not 1 but 2 reused parts of the wrath (Eye of Eternity and Dragonblight), boring final fights.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Cataclysm lacked replay value and reward, which an MMO thrives on.

Unless you were hellbent on running DS every week despite its minimal loot table and single-class legendary, the expansion provided you with one choice: level another alt. or unsub.

(Care to guess what millions of people chose?)

Edit: Sure, I liked the story and instances, and the old world refurbish was great, but I've also read The Great Gatsby three times already, so why bother putting up with it again just because it's readily available on my night stand?
    Last edited by Gnarles Malarkey; 2013-04-30 at 10:34 AM.

It was Blizzards first step towards the deciline off wow, as there main focus. 4.1 showed that - rehershed 5 mans, instead off Firelands as we exspected. So we had to deal with 5 man's, and when 4.2 shipped it wasen't really that good. Firelands was a great raid, mainly bagged by Ragnaros trough.

But 4.3 ruined wow for many. For the first time you see even old timers calling it quits. Dragon Soul is the worst raid ever made. It screamed lazyness so badly it can't be forgiven. Blizzard from now clearly shows there main focus aint on wow content anymore. What it is now, I have no idea about - Maybe SC2? Can't think off other games (titan dosen't exsist hurr hurr) that takes away there focus.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2013-04-30 at 10:38 AM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Most of the time people tend to focus and remember only the bad things of something thus making of Cata the least liked expansion atm.

In the future it wont be like that anymore.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Cataclysm had SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. It could've been thé best WoW expansion without a doubt, but somehow due to a trillion of things it just crashed and burned hard.

It introduced a lot of great things, it brought Azeroth up to speed with the current events and there was a lot of great lore... However, it was just... A waste honestly.
    The main idea behind the revamp of 1-60 was to close and wrap up a lot of questions and quest lines, instead it did the opposite.

Sigh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

HATED Dragon Soul.. Still think it was better than the boring AOEfest that was all of Wrath.

Outside of Ulduar which IMHO had the best hard mode mechanics, Wrath was complete trash for me. I loved the way you could trigger hard modes, made it feel less repetitive than everything that has followed it.

Still believe Sunwell was the best raid, it's a shame more people weren't able to see it/raid, in those days.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    It was Blizzards first step towards the deciline off wow, as there main focus. 4.1 showed that - rehershed 5 mans, instead off Firelands as we exspected. So we had to deal with 5 man's, and when 4.2 shipped it wasen't really that good. Firelands was a great raid, mainly bagged by Ragnaros trough.

But 4.3 ruined wow for many. For the first time you see even old timers calling it quits. Dragon Soul is the worst raid ever made. It screamed lazyness so badly it can't be forgiven. Blizzard from now clearly shows there main focus aint on wow content anymore (What it is now, I have no idea - Maybe SC2? Can't think off other games (titan dosen't exsist hurr hurr) that takes away there focus.
    You've seen "old timers" quit in every expansion. And DS might have seemed lazy, but it honestly wasn't, it made perfect sense storywise for it to take place the places it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Most of the time people tend to focus and remember only the bad things of something thus making of Cata the least liked expansion atm.

In the future it wont be like that anymore.
    The only good thing about Cataclysme was the EPIC start it had. The hole everything seemt extremly great. The starting raids was abit blend, but all fights pretty much were great. Then we also had some completely new things to wow, but it started to get dull - 4.0.6 didn't help on issuses the exspansion started to have, and 4.1 destroyed what could have been good.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    You've seen "old timers" quit in every expansion. And DS might have seemed lazy, but it honestly wasn't, it made perfect sense storywise for it to take place the places it did.
    Not like inn Cataclysme. I've found many called it quits inn 4.3, just as I did (5-6 months), if it wasen't to see what MOP brought. DS maybe made sence storywise, I dont know - Don't care about lore and all that jazz.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2013-04-30 at 10:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually liked cata because they fixed the old zones to where its not horrible to lvl an alt. I also like doing the firelands dailies and pvp was balanced out pretty well. Its just the length of DS that almost ruined it for me, but it didnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    @OP u really enjoyed 2hour heroics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Although the revamp was kinda nice to play through - once - the old zones were better.
    The new zones were nice to play through - once - but the constant porting here, porting there etc. was stupid.
    Stormwind as only capital sucked (and still does, but less now because you don't need the portals anymore).

10+ Year Old Account
    At first, the 5 mans were not pug friendly. Raids were not pug friendly either. That's a good thing to me, but not the majority of the player base. It was screamed and whined for at the time and Blizz provided us with it.

After what everyone was used to in WotLK, this was a pretty bad move.

However, T11 was pretty great, although being on interrupting duty for my guild on far too many encounters pissed me off.

Firelands was small, so was considered bad.

I never raided DS (due to SWTOR lol), only did it in LFR, but it looked bad and from all the QQ I think I can safely say it was bad.

For me, Cata started off great, I liked the zones, I liked the gearing up in 5 mans with my guild and I loved the heroic raiding for the first few months.

It then went downhill from there for me.

Probably the worst part for me was how they dealt with Deathwing, I've always wanted to fight him since Ony/BWL and reading about him, but apart from the cinematic and him randomly blowing shit up, he was never used correctly. Especially when you fight, but a big ass mofo dragon was never gonna be easy to do.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-04-30 at 10:45 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Im really interested why ppl didnt like Cata.

For me, Cata wasnt best expansion (wotlk and tbc are), but still, I cant say it was bad. It had great 5-man heroics (loved DM prenerf), we got old world flying, rewamp of old world zones.
    Only bad thing were raids, DS in particular, maybe cos it lasted too long.

What do you think?
    The T11 of cataclym was magnificient.

The heroic were challenging enough, not too easy, not too hard to keep them interesting. For once, i do remember the mechanics of those dungeon, simply because i had to learn them and not faceroll my way through it. The raid were also quite good.

But after that, it went bad. Heroic were nerf to the ground. T11 become available with simple justice point, thus doing simple 5 man content, and they re hash too much, not enough innovation.

And then, there were dragon soul. Trash pack were bad. you use drake or teleport to go from one arena to another, no real feel of progressing through a dungeon. i did hate deathwing fight. I hate fighting shapeless tentacle and blobs. I prefer fighting dragon or demon with legs and arms. Also the fight was extremly repetitive. You have 3 plate to remove on spine, exactly the same way. You had 4 plateform to clean on madness, with next to no difference between plateform, was a very boring uninstpiring fight.

and the 10/25 share lockout was a bad idea for me, but some liked it. i think the best would have to give us separate achievement and server first and i'll be ok.

I will also state that the hole "dead servers" exploded inn Cataclysme. By mid-ICC times, I was still able to pug inn ICC25 man's on my server. Sure it took time, and I coulden't be picky about all 25 players, but it wasen't like it was impossibely to find 25 players.

Fast-forward to 4.3. Now you had nobody playing om my server anymore. No pugs going on even on wensday. Okay not true, you could maybe find a pug for Baradin Hold.

Them not fixing the dead server's problem really also hurted Cataclysme. Don't say "lol l2migrate" - I did, but it wasen't enough to keep me playing anywho

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    @OP u really enjoyed 2hour heroics?
    Yep, I really did enjoy them, no matter wiping, with pug or guild. Also, those were last HCs where we used CC and actually need to think, not aoe-fests these days.
    And in TBC, I also enjoyed wiping on Lady Vashj for a month. Great times...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    The only good thing about Cataclysme was the EPIC start it had. The hole everything seemt extremly great. The starting raids was abit blend, but all fights pretty much were great. Then we also had some completely new things to wow, but it started to get dull - 4.0.6 didn't help on issuses the exspansion started to have, and 4.1 destroyed what could have been good.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 10:35 AM ----------

Not like inn Cataclysme. I've found many called it quits inn 4.3, just as I did (5-6 months), if it wasen't to see what MOP brought. DS maybe made sence storywise, I dont know - Don't care about lore and all that jazz.
    Then don't call stuff lazy when it isn't. Take everything into consideration before handing out critisism.

A big part of why it was underwhelming for me was because a lot of the content was the revamped world being almost entirely for low levels. While it did add some nice story I think it would have been better to slowly rebuild and show progress for the current level range avoiding the whole timeline issue entirely. The old Azeroth could just be reached through caverns of time and vice versa. The extra level of immersion and extra freedom for directions they could take end-game content in cata and future expansions by not devoting so much time to early leveling would have made a difference to me.

On top of all of that most people decided they didn't like spending a lot of time in heroics and the content cycles were too slow with people that were already having a hard time staying interested leaving the game.

cata was shit. here's a list why.

1. blizz put too much development time into the 1-60 rehash, 80-85 was ok, but once you were level capped, there was very little to do
    2. archaeology was a huge time sink
    3. the 5 mans were horrendous, too few in number and overtuned for pugs (organised groups did fine though)
    4. we were promised more raid content than ever before, yet got less
    5. they cancelled war of the ancients the raid, then made it into a sucky 5 man.
    6. they cancelled the abyssal maw raid and gave us no ending to the neptulon story
    7. they nerfed the shit out of every raid by 30% as soon as the next tier came out and funneled everybody into the next tier, regardless of their progress.
    8. catch up dungeons exacerbated point 7.
    9. the deathwing raid was woefully dissapointing and lasted far too long as they had a lot of development to catch up on after the 1-60 rehash.

i think thats enough for now.

my guild went from a strong, regular attendance raiding guild, to an empty husk of a guild over the course of cata - outside of raiding, everybody got bored shitless, to the point where we all gave swtor a try for a couple of months because we were all so bored of cata.

anyone who had already levelled a few toons to 80 before cata, all of a sudden had very little to do other than raid or level alts. outside of raid days, you started to see less and less people log on as they'd finish levelling their alts then logoff til raid day again, it was thoroughly depressing. i ended up taking a 6 month break and came back about a month before MoP when all the new talents were put in.
    Last edited by smokii; 2013-04-30 at 10:50 AM.
    <insert witty signature here>