Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In my opinion Cata was better than Mop by a mile.

What was better?
    - 5 mans, lots of variety and they actually offered some challenge at start.
    - Valor system was better.
    - Raiding were simpler and you could enjoy them more, instead as of now there are too many tactics to follow which kills the fun aspect.
    - Alt's were easier and actually fun to gear up.
    - There wasn't "must do" dailies.

Im sure i missed some, but i for one enjoyed Cata lot more than i do with the Mop.

For me i belive it would go like TBC > Wotlk > Cata > Vanilla > Mop

Me and my girlfriend absolutely loved playing through Cataclysm, especially the lore.

But we both appreciate Transmog -haha, no going back! -and welcome most of MoP... but are disappointed in the MoP lore thus far.

Within Blackrock foundry, forging iron stars.
    I never really reached the endgame content in cataclysm (because of other games, not because I found wow boring), but all the new rewamped zones in 1-60 was an amazing breath of fresh air. I know some people didn't like the updated zones, but I for one loved them. As the kind of person that levels tons of alts cataclysm was a great expansion.

The only thing I didn't like about Cata was Dragon Soul. BWD/BoT/TotFW I think was my 2nd favorite set of opening raids (behind TBC), Firelands was pretty cool as well. I liked how alt-friendly Cata was (compared to MoP). PvP balance was better than MoP (overall, not any specific patch).

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    WotLK ... casual raids everywhere. Ppl building their reputation as pug raid leaders making weekly raids at certain time. Cata ... ppl getting destroyed in 5 mans. Healers suddenly going from spam spam spam to being mana starved 24/7. Raids are even worse ... no entry level raids. All the casual pugs from WotLK ... forget about them. Nobody can pug that shit.

Funny, I remember clearing BWD and BoT in PuGs.

Casual raids are fine, but sadly it was taken way overboard in WotLK, didn't even provide a proper challenge on Heroic, except for LK HC and Putricide HC, where the latter became easy once the 30% buff kicked in.

For me:

Pro:
    -world revamp
    -fly
    -questing 1-60
    -dungeon first and third tier
    -raid first and second tier

cons:
    -uldum and vashjir
    -zulaman and zulgurub
    -raid tier 3
    How about we let the parenting of kids to... their parents? No, seriously, World of Warcraft is a videogame. Gaming it's supposed to be a fun activity (if you have that fun through challenges, social interactions, etc is completely up to you). Not some kind of "School of Hard Knocks about the Real World".

first of all, the leveling up was way to fast (compared to how vanilla/tbc/wrath was)
    2nd. heroic dungeons were to easy (just like wrath).
    3rd. tabards made rep grind throu quests/dailys nonexistant pretty much.
    4th. while teh first raiding teir was very good the following 2 was quite low in popularity.
    5th and porbobly the biggest one, the zones. 5 new zones and while i found all of them enjoyable to play throu the fact that they were spread out in the world made them feel less grand, the expansions didnt rly feel like a new expansion. It didnt felt like a new adventure the way tbc/wrath did because ther was no new continent.
    6th. tolbarad was way inferior to wintergrasp.

thou imo wrath expansion wasnt much better. dungeon content was pretty much nonexpistant there.. so was dailys/repgrind and teh first raiding teir only had 2 new bosses... What wrath did have that cata didnt was a new continent (oh the excitement ) with more zones.

While Cataclysm brought a whole lot of good things, almost all of those good things had nothing to do with it being Cataclysm, it was the fact that it was the 3rd expansion, and such changes are organic.

The bad about Cataclysm though, there are a great many things in how it was done;

- Heroics were brought back with that challenging element, which had it's fun, but practically when you lower bars, it is either impossible or extremely difficult to raise them again and get a net gain.
    - The first tier's loot and stat discrepancy was nonsense. Haste slapped on dps warriors, mages having to be under the hit cap in full heroic raid gear.
    - 5.1 putting us in a 2 heroic paradigm using pre-existing elements, which took another vanilla raid away. This made quite a few people unhappy.
    - Firelands... After Tier 11 being pretty good and diverse, we were given a 7 boss raid that, when nerfed, mediocre guilds such as mine found heroic Firelands to be 6 pinatas and a brick wall. It's only saving grace was Ragnaros being a pretty good fight.
    - Dragon Soul was an experiment that came out poorly. Before the nerfs started, Heroic Morchok required many 10m guilds to use 4 healers to at least get a first kill and a foot in the door. Having a full guild and requiring our raiders to use alts they lost appeal for to kill the boss (and miss out on on their mains) was bad. Great healers could 3 or even 2 heal it.
    The hardest fight that tier was actually pretty boring, and wasn't even the last boss. Heroic Spine of Deathwing required guilds to stack burst dps classes, so many felt useless or didn't get to do it as often.
    Heroic Madness did not have an extra phase, and didn't feel as great as other important heroic fights, like Lich King or Ragnaros.
    - Personal: Having to be Arcane to be viable, it really did suck and make me hate Firelands more than I should have.

That was just the PvE element.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Im really interested why ppl didnt like Cata.

For me, Cata wasnt best expansion (wotlk and tbc are), but still, I cant say it was bad. It had great 5-man heroics (loved DM prenerf), we got old world flying, rewamp of old world zones.
    Only bad thing were raids, DS in particular, maybe cos it lasted too long.

What do you think?
    Because in a poll you usually get to compare it to the other ones. I agree, Cata was not, by any means, totally terrible, but I liked it less than the expansion before it or the expansion after it.

I personally liked the firelands patch - both daily area and raid.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

It had alot of potential to be what they wanted it to originally be, But somewhere along the line they dropped the bail, Even I have to admit.

Perhaps running DS for 11 months really got on peoples nerves, People call DS bad but in reality it was a great raid and fit the lore...grinding it for 11 months will naturally build up some hate towards it....Run DS LFR on your alts, Run DS on your main in your guilds raid...etc and so on.

I loved the look and feel of Cataclysm and I loved Deathwing, Cataclysm had great potential but they flopped a little bit on the execution.

Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but from past experiences, everytime I've given my logical, non irrational opinion on which expansion is the best and provide facts... I get an infraction for trolling, it's the most ridiculous thing ever... I can't say TBC is the best expansion because it required you to work your way up from kara, then ZA, and then SSC etc. Apparently I'm not allowed to criticize the new formation of heroics and how they work. How every tier there's a new set of heroics that drops better gear... which voids the whole aspect of going to older tiers and working your way up. What's the point of an RPG if there's features allowing you to skip the whole gearing up process and be done within a couple hours? In Cata... I leveled a warrior to 85 and had him in full epics by the end of the day from running tank que. How is that fun? How is that more rewarding then working your way up from kara, eventually to BT? W/e... that's my 2 cents on the matter... I just don't like it when there are short cuts. I just hope someone isn't hot headed and gives me an infraction because THEY think it's trolling... I'm just trying to engage in the topic.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Just because it was least voted for doesn't necessarily mean that those who didn't vote for it didn't like it. It could just have not been their favorite which all comes down to personal tastes.

The fundamental problem with Cata is that Blizz overestimated how much they could get away with in keeping the existing playerbase, and violated the most common sense rule of business, that it's more efficient to keep existing customers than to chase new ones.

The entire rationale for the level 1-60 revamp (and this is pretty explicitly stated in interviews with execs around the time of Cata development/release) was marketing data indicating that the majority of trial players quit before level 10 (the figure typically quoted was 70%). Thus the majority of development resources were thrown at keeping those potential players in the game, and it couldn't be more obvious that as a result, the endgame suffered.

By putting out the most garbage endgame content of any expansion to date with monumental delays, they alienated the existing playerbase in a way that no competing game ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    And then, there were dragon soul. Trash pack were bad. you use drake or teleport to go from one arena to another, no real feel of progressing through a dungeon. i did hate deathwing fight. I hate fighting shapeless tentacle and blobs. I prefer fighting dragon or demon with legs and arms. Also the fight was extremly repetitive. You have 3 plate to remove on spine, exactly the same way. You had 4 plateform to clean on madness, with next to no difference between plateform, was a very boring uninstpiring fight.
    This. Actually.

DS was pretty rinse, wash, and repeat overall. Heroic Spine was pretty difficult, but more in a "Raw numbers" way and less in a "Learning the Mechanics" way.

It's starts out strong, with the approach to Morchok. then falls flat on it's face. Fight two bosses inside of giant tenticle maws. Fight an orc in EoE. Fight a Dragon atop wyrmrest tower.

There was no "Hard" trash. No "Tricky" trash. Essentially, It was ToC with a changing backdrop beyond Morchok, and slightly more trash.

In terms of the last fight with deathwing...

Well, I guess we all expected something very different than what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post

By putting out the most garbage endgame content of any expansion to date with monumental delays, they alienated the existing playerbase in a way that no competing game ever could.
    ...only you seem to forget how much SWoTORs numbers plummeted in that time. The game that was supposed to singlehandedly finally trash and kill WoW...and then there was this other little game Rift that apparently went from 600 000 to 250 000 subs (source mmodata.net) Now I call that a pretty drop.

But ofc it is all in how you phrase it. I guess you could claim...since you mention "competing game" - no game really ever competes with WoW. Aion went from 4 to 2.5 and SWoTOR never exeeded 2 million....

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    This. Actually.

DS was pretty rinse, wash, and repeat overall. Heroic Spine was pretty difficult, but more in a "Raw numbers" way and less in a "Learning the Mechanics" way.

It's starts out strong, with the approach to Morchok. then falls flat on it's face. Fight two bosses inside of giant tenticle maws. Fight an orc in EoE. Fight a Dragon atop wyrmrest tower.

There was no "Hard" trash. No "Tricky" trash. Essentially, It was ToC with a changing backdrop beyond Morchok, and slightly more trash.

In terms of the last fight with deathwing...

Well, I guess we all expected something very different than what we got.
    Well, I guess this is why "Cata was the worst x-pac" only shines on the portion of people that post on forums. If you call Cata the worst because of DS, you need to be aware that barely 20% raided and that includes LFR.

Now..for people who love...for example ALTS ..or 5 mans...(and don't raid at all! - I guess MoP is worse.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...only you seem to forget how much SWoTORs numbers plummeted in that time. The game that was supposed to singlehandedly finally trash and kill WoW...and then there was this other little game Rift that apparently went from 600 000 to 250 000 subs (source mmodata.net) Now I call that a pretty drop.
    While Rift and SWTOR are rather different games, they did share one property that really annoyed me: their clients had performance issues. I got over that to some extent in Rift, but when I tried to return for the Rift expansion I immediately found it unbearable.

I wonder how many MMOs suffer the same issue. I have never found one that felt as snappy or immediately responsive as WoW. (And I think this is what people found unpleasant about vehicles in Wrath: that mechanism also introduced response lag. Just look at the time delay from keypress to action.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

Cataclysm had some things it did well, and the old world revamp was needed.

Problem is they decided that the game should be on-rails, and it's been suffering ever since because of the on-rails design.
    Sometimes I think I should have rolled a Priest....

PvP went wayyy down hill

Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar

For me, Cata wasnt best expansion (wotlk and tbc are), but still, I cant say it was bad. It had great 5-man heroics (loved DM prenerf), we got old world flying, rewamp of old world zones.
    Only bad thing were raids, DS in particular, maybe cos it lasted too long.

What do you think?
    MoP by far is the worst for anyone with more than one max level character thanks to dailies/Rep and their "we've relaced 5mans with LFR" crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanochan View Post
    MoP by far is the worst for anyone with more than one max level character thanks to dailies/Rep and their "we've relaced 5mans with LFR" crap.
    I have more than one max level character. I completely disagree with your assertion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.