Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because it's freshest in everyone's mind, while being easily compared to the excellence of MoP. It's actually kind of interesting how it's worked out:

During TBC: 'omg TBC sucks, give back vanilla'
    During WotLK: 'omg WotLK sucks, give back TBC'
    During Cataclysm: 'omg Cata sucks, give back WotLK/TBC'
    During MoP: 'haha Cata sucked didn't it, glad it's gone'

...Wait what? Combo-breaker! It actually speaks volumes as to the quality of MoP when there's barely any QQ on the forums about the expansion, and people prefer it to the previous one.

The thing is, Cataclysm gave us a lot of amazing things that really changed the way we play the game: reforging, the old world content update, transmogrification, 10/25 mans giving the same loot, guild achievements, and more. The problem is that it was very easy for people to latch onto the idea of 'lol rehash', when really... barely anything was getting re-used. Let's go through the list:

1. Old world content update: sorely needed. It's far better now.
    2. Nefarian/Onyxia: completely different boss fight, just happens to be people we've already killed before.
    3. Ragnaros: same as above. Also this boss fight is seen as a high quality fight in heroic.
    4. ZA/ZG: ZG was COMPLETELY different, just happened to be set in the same place as the old raid. ZA was more similar to its previous version, but still had a few differences.
    5. Dragon Soul: yeah, it had some bits set in Wyrmrest temple, but that's all it was. And it made sense that it was set there, lore-wise.

The stuff we got was high quality in Cataclysm. The problem was that there wasn't enough of it, and people focused on this dumb 'rehash' idea. It also kinda sucked that we ended on a fairly mediocre raid. Not as bad as people say, but it could've been better. But hey.

Cataclysm suffered most by the implementation of LFR which was planned for Mists of Pandaria. Blizzard panicked by the low number of raiders after their drop in tier 11 so they started cutting corners.

The 11 months of DS were the worst part of Cataclysm. The Fireland dailies were the 2nd worst part of the expansion.

Deleted
    I also quit during DS for the first time since the initial launch of wow, never asked myself why. the game just wasn't fun anymore. resubbed 5 months ago and playing again now, it really got a lot better.
    Last edited by mmoc1f45c28d93; 2013-04-30 at 10:58 AM.

*shrug* I rather liked Cataclysm--particularly because of the care they took evolving the older zones--though it wasn't my favorite expansion. If that puts me in the minority, so be it. I'm also really enjoying MoP currently, if that makes any difference. Cataclysm got a bad reputation from a vocal few and there are always scores of people who will jump on a bandwagon rather than trouble themselves with forming their own opinion.

It wasn't a bad expansion (and LFR didn't ruin raiding, "the community" or WoW despite what those same vocal few will parrot ceaselessly), though I would say it lacked enough endgame content for some people because of the time they spent revamping older, low-level content.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Cataclysm suffered most by the implementation of LFR which was planned for Mists of Pandaria. Blizzard panicked by the low number of raiders after their drop in tier 11 so they started cutting corners.

The 11 months of DS were the worst part of Cataclysm. The Fireland dailies were the 2nd worst part of the expansion.
    Planned for MoP? Really now? Sources please.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

People hated Cataclysm because it took so damned long to fix those guard towers in Stormwind. That must have been some crazy damage on a whole 'nother level we can't even comprehend.

Well, a whole lot was wrong with cata, especially a big let down coming right after wrath which was extremely popular.

For me Cata is on the top of my shitlist mostly because of one reason: 4.1 patch. It was the most insulting patch I have ever been fed by corporate blizzard.

• It was officially supposed to be the firelands patch, but got shamelessly postponed at the last minute because "not enough people have completed the current tier" (t11).
    • 2 5man REHASHED dungeons with 353 gear no one cared for. Note that they were rehashed, not even new.
    • Scrapped water themed raid/patch.

People seem to have forgotten all about it, but I am obviously still mad

Also warlock t11 4p and improved soulfire buff.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Well, a whole lot was wrong with cata, especially a big let down coming right after wrath which was extremely popular.

For me Cata is on the top of my shitlist mostly because of one reason: 4.1 patch. It was the most insulting patch I have ever been fed by corporate blizzard.

• It was officially supposed to be the firelands patch, but got shamelessly postponed at the last minute because "not enough people have completed the current tier" (t11).
    • 2 5man REHASHED dungeons with 353 gear no one cared for. Note that they were rehashed, not even new.
    • Scrapped water themed raid/patch.

People seem to have forgotten all about it, but I am obviously still mad

Also warlock t11 4piece and improved soulfire buff.
    More insulting than 2.2?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I don't agree with the seemingly general consensus on forums like these that Cataclysm was a catastrophy (pun somehwhat intended), garbage or a "failed expansion" Just as I don't agree with Diablo III being the worst thing that ever happened to the world. To me, such statements are nerdrage-driven, juvenile nonsense banter, completely devoid of reasonable thinking, knowledgeability and sound argumentation.

Cata had it's good and bad sides, like any other expansion. I had a lot of fun with the 5 mans. The initial ones were interesting, well designed and aesthetically appealing, and the Zuls and HoT instances were great additions along the way. The old world rewamp was a huge undertaking that was executed marvellously. LFR was - despite the moronic whining about it - an extremely valuable addition to the game. We got two very nicely designed and cool new races.

Wasn't a big fan of the over-the-top, clichéd lore, which also introduced a particularly obnoxious green lizard Jesus theme. Scripting and deadlocking the majority of leveling content, as well as scattering the new zones all over the place, completely detaching them from another, wasn't a very good decision and it's nice to see how Blizzard learned from it and took a complete U-turn with the design of Pandaria.

Cata lacked "things to do", especially when you weren't raiding, already had fulfilled your schedule for the week or just had enough of the same old dungeons for the 1000st time. The Molten Front thing was really great, but unfortunately, we didn't get to see more stuff like that over the course of the expansion.

I resigned from raiding in Cata. The way raid bosses are being designed today just isn't my idea of a fun encounter any more. Too overladen, too pointlessly complicated, too gimmicky and just an overall sensory overload, chaotic clusterfuck.

But that's me. I'm aware that a lot of people appreciate the very things about modern raiding that put me off personally. I'm not gonna say, Cata raids SUCKED just because I didn't like it. That's the thing that critics and whiners generally lack the most. For some reason I hate it, so it means that everyone at Blizzard are morons and while the game used to be cool, everything they do now is crap. Can't take that seriously.

Cata opinion seems dependant on what sort of player you were. As a semi-hardcore raider at the time I found it a great expansion really. The initial 5 man heroics were tuned fantastically so in an organised 5 man group you had a lot of fun and the difficulty was hard. Also great fun doing the 5 man meta. I realise they were way over-tuned for LFD players but as I said it's dependant on the type of player you were.

Tier 11 is probably my fave raid tier ever. The fights were very well done and Heroic BWD with Nefarian showing up in each fight was just incredible. Firelands also had a few decent fights on 10s (Beth, Rag) and whilst Dragon Soul felt a poor end I enjoyed a couple of fights there still (Yor'shaaj heroic mainly).

I agree Archaeology ended up being horrible, I had such high hopes for it pre-expansion and in the end it was just travel time. I quite liked the Molten Front patch as well, the dailies actually felt like there was an ongoing clash even if the timing felt odd (finshing the dailies after killing Rag). I liked the way they built up over time and had relevant rewards (which I felt the 5.2 patch lacked in, too fast to exalted and poor rewards).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    You've seen "old timers" quit in every expansion. And DS might have seemed lazy, but it honestly wasn't, it made perfect sense storywise for it to take place the places it did.
    Oddly enough, that seems to be true to every single thing blizzard does (with the odd exception once in a blue moon) /facedesks!
    Possibly because they are inventing the lore as time goes on to fit whatever they think is fun.

The expansion opened the flood gates on max rewarding for the least amount of effort =/= time, and it was rewarded with a solid 3m+ loss in subscriptions.., not everyone enjoys the adventure-less, non-emerging, non-character progression / non-rpg sense game play that's evolved, and with a "working" implementation of lfr, the absolute final scrap of sociality the game had, was removed, so with no social side to it, and no real game play content.., yes, Cataclysm was and always will be the most sickening pile of dogshit ever released in any games history from any company!

As a wise person said prior, you had two choices.., roll another alt (WUU FUCKING HUU), or quit, the smart ones opted the later.
    Last edited by Banzhe; 2013-04-30 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    its because of the following combination.

Recycled content and few new bosses. (Oh great Onyxia is back, AGAIN, with Nefarian and Ragnaros... didn't I loot your head?)

cut endgame content due to world revamp taking too long. (war of ancients, abyssal maw)

harder difficulty raids and dungeons with one shot mechanics, because everbody loves a 2 hour long Stonecore run.

Awful storyline.

Incompetent overpowered villain who has the power to destroy the world with one /cast but instead just goes missing. (and has so many friends he seems to be socialwing)

Indiana Jones for an ENTIRE zone!

I resigned from raiding in Cata. The way raid bosses are being designed today just isn't my idea of a fun encounter any more. Too overladen, too pointlessly complicated, too gimmicky and just an overall sensory overload, chaotic clusterfuck.
    I have to agree with this point. Raid mechanics are so overly complex and so numerous that I just find them annoying now. No I don't want to have to watch a vid on Tankspot to do LFR!
    Last edited by mmoc1dde548293; 2013-04-30 at 11:06 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm was alright to me, but it seemed stale and boring, like something was missing. SW/Org as the main cities didn't feel right. Even though Org was impressive over SW. Besides that, the raiding was fun and I liked the MF daily quest hubs. I felt like I was championing different factions, without having to feel hindered by reputation gain, yet still getting rewarded somehow. The MF achievement hunting was great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    @OP u really enjoyed 2hour heroics?

I take it you started in Wrath and didn't get to enjoy 6 - 8hour BrD runs or 2 - 3 hour Tempest Keep heroics in TBC. The dungeons and raids, with the exception of Dragon Soul, had nothing wrong with them. They made you learn to play your class so you weren't a drain on other people, like LFR seems to encourage you to be, and the REASON they took so long at the start was because people refused to give up their Wrath style AOEeverythingdpstank of play. And because they couldn't accept bosses having at least one one-shot move that you had to avoid.

I liked the new zones, cept Uldum...hated that place for some reason, but my beef was the lore of the old zones. I'm a lore nerd and the fact that Blizzard shafted the Alliance and had the balls to deny it till the end of Cata when they came forward and admitted screwing up pissed me off to no end. I think that Cata's when I first started visiting the story forum regularly and started bitching here.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KWC3587 View Post
    Honestly because they spent so much time on the refurbish that almost every other aspect of the game suffered in one way or another. Also it honestly felt like once they realized it was not doing well they rushed to finish it before it could do too much damage to their sub numbers.
    Pretty much - also when this far in with expansions your main focus shouldn´t be new players (as in redoing the 1-60 areas) especially not when you keep pressing the "real game" is at max level. Then you make some new stuff for new players due to the cataclysm, but focus more on it for those at max level fx. through phasing the areas. Would give more reason to go there as well for old players, and not so much people complaining about being ganked by high levels
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started on an unspeakably high note.... felt like a balloon slowly letting out air. Did not meet expectations.

Dragon Soul is my most hated raid ever (I Have never considered quitting for good so badly had Mists footage and info not started pouring out then)

Bad story.

I'm sorry there's just not... enough there, the only thing I liked about it was it made healing engaging again. Everything else has fallen to the wayside. They revamped the old content and then sorta went... okay what now? That was a alot of work...you mean we have to do MORE to make it an EXPANsion? Well shit... And what we got suffered on the high level end.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Planned for MoP? Really now? Sources please.
    It was rushed and unfinished when it came out. They were afraid of the competition that looked serious at the time (SWToR). Blizzard always launch their games and patches at the same time as their competitors which causes their releases to be unfinished and sub par.

I don't have a specific quote, because Blizzard would never publicly admit it. However the implementation of LFR is the prime suspect for the low number of bosses in FL and DS.

Only Dragon Soul was terrible. The previous tiers were great, IMO.

Sadly, since the last raid of the expansion was shit, it is what most people remember it by.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Anyway, I never compare my games to other games or other expansions.
    I just ask myself: Am I having fun?
    My golden rule of gaming.

I'm getting so tired of the entire world feeling like they need to compare each game that is released to other games. Time to stop thinking so hard about things and just have fun people.

OT: I didn't enjoy Cataclysm because as a non-hc-raider, there wasn't anything productive to do after capping VP and CP and I didn't find any dungeons or random PvP fun during Cataclysm.

Cata had so much potential. T11 with the 2 "rehashed" 4.1 dungeons was one of the best patches of all time. Then they took the lazy route out with Firelands, only 7 bosses, still most of those bosses were exciting and fine tuned, even though you might say that Rag was overtuned and the 6 before were undertuned (on HC ofc), then came DS, 12 new bosses with a complete lack of good mechanics or interesting bosses... way to end the expansion on a low note.

Still 100000000 times better than the shitty lazy AoE clusterfuck that was WotLK ofc.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory