Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    And here it is again - ppl comment only on raids in Cata, not Cata as a whole.
    Is really 5-10% of expansion = whole expansion for some ppl?

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMONKEYDROID84 View Post
    im a warlock who pvps, i can complain about cata all i want :P
    I know, right? Those DoT cleaves were so awful.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Well, a whole lot was wrong with cata, especially a big let down coming right after wrath which was extremely popular.

Also warlock t11 4p and improved soulfire buff.
    Don't get me started on Warlocks in Cata....damn you did!

Everything was wrong with Warlocks in Cata (pve wise). Inelegant design, lack of burst, super complex rotation for the damage it put out, pet swapping, trinket swapping, being forced to use the felhunter as Affliction and Demo, being forced to use imp as destro

Not saying I didn't do well on my warlock in Cata, but...it was painful at times.

Firelands was one of my favorite raid zones however.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Cata could have been the best xpac for WoW. I remember that I was so fucking excited for it. It's first tier was AMAZING. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened after that it got worse and worse. There could have Abyssal Maw and WotA raid. You could tell from environment and models that WoE 5 man was originally planned to be raid. So much potential. Such a waste.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Overall, nothing will top how abysmal WotLK was imo. That expansion was just horrendous with the exception of Ulduar.

Everything about Cata was bland, boring and drawn out. Rag was an interesting fight, but doing FL and DS for that long wasn't. Especially given the fact that most weeks ended up being clearing H FL all the way and bashing our face against H Rag most of the week.

Cata was okay for me, nothing more, nothing less. It had a really promising start but went downhill. Mop on the other hand is the best expansion that we've ever had, and it'll stay that way if they don't mess up seige of orgrimmar

Imagine if 4.2 comes out with Fireland as it was and Abyssal Maw with 5-6 bosses raid then DS patch comes with DS and WotA raid. That would have been epic.

Quote Originally Posted by KWC3587 View Post
    Honestly because they spent so much time on the refurbish that almost every other aspect of the game suffered in one way or another. Also it honestly felt like once they realized it was not doing well they rushed to finish it before it could do too much damage to their sub numbers.
    Not only that but as I recall there were a number of heavily mentioned features at blizzcon, that were highly showcased and promoted to get people hyped about the game and none of them made it. (Path of the titans being one that comes to mind)

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    And here it is again - ppl comment only on raids in Cata, not Cata as a whole.
    Is really 5-10% of expansion = whole expansion for some ppl?
    I pretty much disliked the entire expansion. The cataclysm expansion in it's entirety was the reason after many years of playing WOW that caused me to stop playing WOW.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-04-30 at 01:15 PM.

Because almost everything about Cataclysm was utter garbage. And coming off of the high of WotLK made it even worse.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    it feels to me that blizzard is not sure how to handle the game anymore.

Back in the beginning of cataclysm, wow lost 600k sub. They thought, rightly or wrongly, no matter, that it's because the game is too difficult, not accessible enough. So they nerfed it, onto the ground. And shower playerbase with epic gear. However, the new and improve wow, easier than ever, continue to drop subs. They used commercial tactic such as annual passes to maintain sub but cataclysm ended up loosing near 2 million player.

For MoP, they lower the difficulty barrier, add more casual content (scenarion, daily, pokemon, farm). As far as i know, shortly after release MoP (end of september) wow gain 1 millions subs but then proceed to slowly loosing sub again (end of december, 9.6). We don't have the end of march number yet.

So what to do? make the game easier? harder? more grindy? less grindy? blizzord don't know anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    Most of the time people tend to focus and remember only the bad things of something thus making of Cata the least liked expansion atm.

In the future it wont be like that anymore.
    Actually, that's not true.. Human nature makes us forget the bad things, and remember only the good things.

on topic:
    Cata wasn't that bad at all.... The total revamp of all zones was a masterpiece in my opinion.
    The problem with Cata is, that the people judge it on it's endgame content, and there mainly on the last stretch of the last patch. It was definitely too long.
    10 month or what, with zero new content got dead boring for most people. But it started already with the transition phase.
    Blizzard had outdone itself with the pre-events for WotLK. The scourge invasion and the city attacks have been epic. Of course, everyone was eager to see and experience the new events. And those have been a huge disappointment. A few quest, occasionally dying out in the open to Deathwings firestorm, and some elementals running around in the city.... Disappointing, really.
    Next thing, when Cata finally arrived, Blizzard took to heart the main criticism from WotLK.. It's too easy, it's trivial.. The world is boring, everything is weak.
    Bam. Cata comes and compared to WotLK the mob hit like trucks. Decent players had no problem with that. But the average relaxed "just for fun messing around in the game" players got overwhelmed.
    People also wanted the TBC dungeon feel back.. Blizzard tried. That failed miserably..
    We had CC again, yet that only works if everyone's aware of it.... Too many were "wrath babies" with zero clue how to even use the CC spells properly. And even if..
    What's it help to CC when the tank is stupid enough to go "WotLK mode" and tries to chain pull.. Resulted in dungeon runs that largely exceeded the times ever needed in even Heroic TBC dungeons. And that for normal mode..
    And the list could go on...
    All in all, Cata had more design love in the game, than any other stage of the game, since it's existence. Yet that came to a price that weaved in a lot of bad things.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Scattered, unfocused storyline across scattered, generally so-so high level zones.
    Gearing issues that brick-walled folks who would have liked to raid / progress in some fashion, but weren't able to (partially attributable to chaos orbs and how they were acquired)
    A fairly underwhelming end-of-expansion raid, especially given how much it was hyped.
    FAR too much recycling, including the troll 5 mans that wound up being the only 2 worth doing after a while.

The entire thing was rather lackluster, and felt like an exercise in annoyance more than fun. Transmog and LFR are probably the only 2 good ideas to have emerged from it actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Im really interested why ppl didnt like Cata.
    The funny thing is that all these people who now shout that Cata was rubbish are the SAME people who during Cata were saying its awesome! lol

Catamade alotof sweeping changes to the game and therefore alot of people quit at this time. Once they realised they didnt like Cata they left the game. But those still playing have all defended What Blizzard did religiously during cata, and weirdly these same people r now saying Cata sucked.

The truth is that the players who quit are the authority on what wasnt liked in Cata not the players still playing now. The main reasons i can see why people quit are as follows -

1. Didnt like the overall changes to Azeroth after the 'shattering'
    2. Didnt like LFR
    3. Didnt like the direction of the game was breaking up the community
    4. Didnt like focus on 10man raiding and destroying 25man raiding
    5. Didnt like the reduced amount of raiding due to 1 lockout for all raids
    6. Didnt like the homogenisation of the classes
    7. Simply thought the raiding and end game content was below par
    8. PvP was even more imbalanced
    9. Arena had a very large increase in exploiters, win-traders and glad sellers
    10. The rise of the bots (openworld gold & mat farmers increase as well as BGs)
    11. Begining of Cata was extremely difficult
    12. After the difficult period everything was hit with a massive nerf-stick
    13. The increase in daily dependancy
    14. Didnt like the simplification of questing and levelling

These r just a few reasons i know people who left the game cited.

U should ignore those who are stillplaying the game cos they dont know why so many people quit... the quitters hold the answers

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Give it a year or two and the general opinion about Cata will probably be better. The overall opinion on Wrath of the Lich King right now seems far more positive than it was around Wrath's end/Cata's start

Deleted
    The leveling process was too fragmented and while individual zone design excelled it was just too diffuse and never really felt like a cohesive whole. Random 5 man Heroics went from being a two hour wipefest to complete borefests in sharp order. Post release content was sparse and underwhelming, while gearing up was too fast. PvP, while not as bad as now, was terrible. Removal of separate lockouts. Several "wtf" design choices like those terrible, truncated talent trees. Come on, it was only last year. You seriously can't remember why people were bashing Cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Transmog and LFR are probably the only 2 good ideas to have emerged from it actually.
    i'd add reforging and guild xp to that list.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Give it a year or two and the general opinion about Cata will probably be better. The overall opinion on Wrath of the Lich King right now seems far more positive than it was around Wrath's end/Cata's start
    However, i do think there were far more people defending and praising Wrath than there were defending and praising Cata... Wrath ALWAYS had a solid fanbase.

I personally loved Wrath, but that was mainly because i was in a truly great guild and we had an awesome time playing through the content. Its personal experience that defines if someone likes or dislikes each expansion, its rarely an objective and honest overview.

Casual players were left with virtually no end-game, decisions in Cata pretty much sliced the idea of pugging things in half or more, and most people were left to just make alts or quit. (Lots of people quit.)

Hardcore players, it'd seem, as well, barely got any content at all either, but they at least had an endgame. 4.3 was a big quick save face, rushed, clearly, to try and stop the sub bleeding and end things on the highest note they possibly could to just get it out of there.

10+ Year Old Account
    They made a lot of cock ups in cata.

- focused so much on the old world content and updating it that they didn't do anything good for max level content
    - The story took a nose dive and people felt disgruntled by many of the changes thrown in. Things like Deathwing being just a massive plot device, Thrall going down his path of worlds greatest shaman, the moronic antics of Garrosh and the alliance feeling brushed aside.
    - The sudden push to make things like dungeons at max level harder pushed the casual crowds away and only appealed to the hardcore crowd (they admitted this and it was a mistake).
    - Until LFR came into it, people found nothing to d at max level and so left in droves.
    - Some even said the overall theme of the expansion was rushed and unpleasant.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Every fuckin' aspect of Cataclysm was bad...