Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People will just pirate the real one too

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Funny idea and good marketing.

But at the end of the day, people who share files would never have bought your product in the first place without accessing it. In fact, there are far more likely to buy the product both for themselves after having tried it out, or in places and contexts where they require a license (like work, school, other platforms, etc). In addition, if the product is any good it would get a recommendation from file sharers to all who know them, which is not just other sharers obviously.

Thus, there is no net "lost sales" from "pirating". If anything, the exact opposite is true. This has been proven time and time again over history. Did you know Bill Gates complained of the exact same thing in a public letter when MS-DOS was first released and a mere handful of hobbyists got hold of a physical copy (yes, in the days when floppy disks really were floppy). Look at what Microsoft, Apple, IBM (these guys practically invented databases and everyone mimiced their code), inventors of UNIX, etc. grew into...

There is only one situation, outside of commercial theft, where unlicensed distribution of art results in damage to a content owner. That is where users of the unlicensed art, in this software, continue to have access to resources of the content owner, e.g. servers of an online game or direct support. That situation can be severely damaging for startups and indie artists, of course, as the cost of resource usage spirals way beyond that paid for by licenses.
    Answer me this, why would you want to buy something when You can get it for free? What logic is there in paying for an item that you get for free. Not the crappy version but the same exact quality.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    did u not read anything people have said? there is no evidence that those people who pirate the game would have bought the game. Like people have said if the game was decent it gets positive word of mouth..
    Have you ever thought of why people would even buy something they could get for free? Do you not think such people exist? Do you think such people are fairy tales? Why pay even a dollar if you can get the same thing for free? Answer me this.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    That's like going to the grocery store and having breakfast in the cereal isle, straight out of the box, because your perceived value of the food is less than what they charge for it.
    Entertainment and food, as well as physical and digital goods are two tottally different things. It's almost apples to oranges. No-one needs games, films, music or entertainment to live, it's a luxury. It's also the ease of being caught doing the two activitys.

You don't see any other industy be-moaning the fact that people "steal" things. Does Ford come out and say "Well, there's an increase in people stealing our cars so unfortunately we're going to have to increase the prices because people are getting our cars for free!". No, that just dosn't happen. If piracy was so rampant, there just wouldn't be a games industry at all, it'd all be indie titles that come out every 4-5 years. If that's how the market behaves, that's what the market gets, but it's not.

I've recently been made redundant and now my budget for gaming and entertainment is £40 a month. It used to be about that a week. I can't afford those big AAA titles as soon as they come out, so i've been buying smaller titles. Last month I brought Sly 4, Eador (the first one), Don't Starve and went down the pub twice. Sly lasted me about a week and i've still got trophies to collect, Eador is taking over my life (it's amazing, go to gog.com now and buy it!) and Don't Starve will keep me busy for another week or so.

Now comes along Mr. EA or Activision and wants £45 for one game that'll last me about a day for the campaign and that's me done for the month.

So the choice is, do I keep myself entertained on more lower priced games, or splash out on one big one a month and be bored for the rest of the time? That's not my way of justifying piracy, it's just the way things work. Do i buy enough food to last a month, or go to a fancy restaurant, go nuts and spend £500 on one meal?

It's why I love things like Playstion +. I've played about 6 games from that, out of an intitial £40 upfront. That's fantastic, more of that please! But what companys are offering services like this? There's OnLive, but as far as I know that's subscription based AND you have to pay for the games too.

My point was, if you keep selling a product for x, but the consumers are only willing to pay y for it, don't shout and holler that you're going out of business because you can't afford to sell it for y. If that's the case, you shouldn't even be in business. Piracy is bad, i'm not saying "Oh, you can't afford that game? Go and borrow it from a fileshare!" but if the market can't sustain it's self then tough. Don't keep propping it up, let it fall and start again.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trine 2, probably only good indie game i encountered for a while...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    It's almost like they're a business or something...

This is what i don't like about it.. the gaming world have become a place where you go make business like everywhere else in the world because it has gotten so popular.. i want a company that makes games because they like it and not to be super rich because of the market being so huge..

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    This is what i don't like about it.. the gaming world have become a place where you go make business like everywhere else in the world because it has gotten so popular.. i want a company that makes games because they like it and not to be super rich because of the market being so huge..
    That's indie game developers for you. And that's why it pisses me off so much when people pirate their games. They don't make games to get rich, they make games because they want to, and they set the price of said games so they can survive. I can't remember the last time I saw an indie company price their games at 60 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    This thread is spectacularly negative. They made a game about game development and I only heard about this game because of their fake game version. Regardless of whatever point they were trying to make (which I think is a decent one, the people in the thread defending piracy make me sad), I see this as pretty clever marketing.

I have no idea why people are putting them down -- they haven't done anything wrong.

While they havent done anything wrong and did a cool stunt with that version for torrent sites, i still find it hilarious that you think in 2013 you can get people to pay for a game looking like that.
    Sry got only this screenshot you posted, but really this looks like in the per-pentium times...

no offense here, but i wouldnt expect to be able to earn money this way.

Some of us don't play games because of the graphics, but because of the actual content they deliver. If a game is fun, I don't give a frak whether it looks like Wolfenstein 3D or Battlefield 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    That's indie game developers for you. And that's why it pisses me off so much when people pirate their games. They don't make games to get rich, they make games because they want to, and they set the price of said games so they can survive. I can't remember the last time I saw an indie company price their games at 60 bucks.
    Maybe if 90% of indie games werent utter shit I wouldnt be such sceptic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    Stuff
    Stop wanting to live outside your means then.

I'm in the same position I imagine most students are in; money's very tight, and if I want a night out here and there I can't really afford to splurge on a ton of new games. I haven't played any of this year's releases yet. Not because I don't want to, I just can't justify the cost:time ratio.

That doesn't mean I go ahead and pirate it. I'll either wait for the cost to come down or my financial situation to improve. Access to games (or any product) is not a right; you don't need it all *now*. This is my main gripe with people who go download stuff for free.. You have the crowd who say "Oh it's not worth my money so I'll justify it to myself with X reasons, get it FOR FREE but still play the entire game from start to finish". I get the "I just want a demo" crowd, and if that's what they're doing then fair enough. Let's not pretend there aren't people out there who just want free entertainment though and think the world owes it to them because in THEIR opinion, the game they just spent 40 hours on isn't worth the shit on their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Stop wanting to live outside your means then.

I'm in the same position I imagine most students are in; money's very tight, and if I want a night out here and there I can't really afford to splurge on a ton of new games. I haven't played any of this year's releases yet. Not because I don't want to, I just can't justify the cost:time ratio.

That doesn't mean I go ahead and pirate it. I'll either wait for the cost to come down or my financial situation to improve. Access to games (or any product) is not a right; you don't need it all *now*. This is my main gripe with people who go download stuff for free.. You have the crowd who say "Oh it's not worth my money so I'll justify it to myself with X reasons, get it FOR FREE but still play the entire game from start to finish". I get the "I just want a demo" crowd, and if that's what they're doing then fair enough. Let's not pretend there aren't people out there who just want free entertainment though and think the world owes it to them because in THEIR opinion, the game they just spent 40 hours on isn't worth the shit on their shoes.
    What you can't seem to grasp is that any game I decide to pirate is one I never would have purchased in the first place. Now if I pirate a game and it is truly awesome then the chances are very high I ill end up buying the official product.

But if i don't pirate and realise said game is amazing then there is no chance at all that I would go out and spend money on the product in the end. There are better things to spend my money on which don't come with the risk of wasted £30-50 on a trash game that lasts me an hour or two.

I don't live outside my means which is why I never buy video games unless I already know they are worth my time and money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Wow. You're like, really smart, man.

I bet you could run a very successful game development studio. I bet you'd be rolling in money in no time!
    if a game wasnt available to pirate.. how would this improve sales. it doesnt or there is no proof it does. You're like, really smart, man.

Deleted
    this thread is quite amusing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Maybe if 90% of indie games werent utter shit I wouldnt be such sceptic.
    Really? Almost every game on what I'd call my top ten list of the past several years has been an indie game.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 04:47 AM ----------

if a game wasnt available to pirate.. how would this improve sales. it doesnt or there is no proof it does. You're like, really smart, man.
    Amusingly, I expect there'd be a lot less piracy if people made demos and got rid of all but the most barebones forms of DRM.

Multiplayer games get around the need for a demo by moving to the free to play business model (which tends to work really well when done right.) Single player games absolutely should have a demo, and preferably one that has "real" gameplay, not a handful of set pieces.

Everyone I've talked to that pirates games (which numbers at least in the dozens that I can remember) has done so either to get around excessively problematic DRM, to just see if the game is worth getting in the first place, or both. I can name on one hand the number of those people who didn't go out and buy the actual game afterwards - of course, if DRM was the problem they probably continued using the pirated version anyway, but bought the game to support the developer.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    What you can't seem to grasp is that any game I decide to pirate is one I never would have purchased in the first place. Now if I pirate a game and it is truly awesome then the chances are very high I ill end up buying the official product.
    The "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" statement is BS. Sure there are some people who genuinely wouldn't have touched a game if they didn't have access to a pirated version. However, there are PLENTY who think a game looks good but will pirate anyway so they can simply not spend the money. If pirating that title wasn't an option some of those would have been purchases. One of my friends pirated Fallout:New Vegas with all the DLC after trying it at my house; he already knew what it would be (since he played Fallout 3), but having access to a very good rip of it combined with then having £25 to go drinking on the weekend meant he just pirated it instead of buying it. Had that option not been available he probably would have bought it considering he ended up playing it (and talking about it) for the next few months.

I think the demo-ing thing is fine; sometimes a game comes out and you hear a lot about it but have no frame of reference to know if you'll enjoy it. I don't think it's something most people on those sites do though. Especially younger people who don't have the funds or aren't morally compelled to even think about it.

Not sure how anyone wastes money on trash games these days either with the amount of videos and independent reviewers/first lookers around. If you're buying games on Day 1 (or pre-purchasing, arguably the most retarded thing you could ever do) without having tried it or seen anything but the trailer, well. You don't get to cry about it.

I thought Duke Nukem looked good and it was super hyped up. I waited and watched some Let's Play videos and it was probably the most boring looking shooter I'd seen in a long time; so I did not buy it. I didn't even have to pirate it because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just bought the game, after reading this thread, their website, and watching some reviews. The story alone is worth the cost of the game
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I just bought the game, after reading this thread, their website, and watching some reviews. The story alone is worth the cost of the game
    so would this count as a sale because of piracy?

Deleted
    so would this count as a sale because of piracy?
    Most of their sales are going to be because of piracy. Their entire advertising campaign was made possible because many people downloaded the "pirate" version. They had absolutely zero visibility before that, no one even knew the game existed.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Answer me this, why would you want to buy something when You can get it for free? What logic is there in paying for an item that you get for free.*snip*

Have you ever thought of why people would even buy something they could get for free? Do you not think such people exist? Do you think such people are fairy tales? Why pay even a dollar if you can get the same thing for free? Answer me this.
    Hrmm....I'll bite.

Have you ever thought why people would pay for something legally instead of illegally acquiring it? Why do you pay for groceries? You can have those for free too. The exact same groceries, five finger discount, all yours.

This is possibly the dumbest question I've ever answered.

A lot of people have what we can refer to as a code of ethics or morals. Their system of morality, their common sense, their human decency make them realize that paying for a product they want is the proper way to go about it. Sure they might like particular price points, they may even pirate some things, but a product they want to really support most of the time they pay for.

You don't have to look very far for evidence of this, from kickstarters, to the success of iTunes, and any promotion where you 'pay what you want'. These three things share a common ground where people pay money for their digital goods, even though they don't 'have' to.

People pirating products are basically spoiled children who don't understand the value of money and living within your means. I was once a member of that group of people. I don't like paying for cable, so I would often download episodes of my favorite shows. You know what I do now? I buy them off of Amazon legit. My income hasn't drastically changed, nothing in my life is really any different, except I'm more repsonsible and understand the world that much better.

I don't really expect any productive conversation to come out of this, but I needed my morning rant.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I think this is just mean and hurts people.

Such companies should be banned.