Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,368

    Where ARE these places?

    So, I've noticed some battlegrounds and instances are in familiar locations, but don't actually... Exist in the game overworld. How does that work, exactly?

    Terrace of the Endless Spring, for example. It's open air, so you SHOULD be able to see it. Yet it's simply not there, anywhere.

    Patch 5.3 adds a new battleground, Deepwind Gorge. This battleground is placed in the western part of the Valley of the Four Winds, in a gorge that is only present in the battleground, not in the regular world.
    Wut?

    It doesn't make sense. I mean, I get it game-mechanic wise.. But for a game so bent on lore and story... Why do these magic places just... exist but dont?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  2. #2
    I agree somewhat, in fact I believe all BG's should of existed in the real world as pvp quest places. Maybe dailys etc for pvp players.
    My youtube can be found at Gcsmith12 for those who are interested.

    Many good games are coming in 2012, Im glad to be a gamer

  3. #3
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,368
    Like, I get that some places are islands or whatever. They could even take place in the overworld of a 'cleared' area.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Hildefuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Europe
    Posts
    434
    Because BGs are structured/designed with a specific purpose in mind without being necessarily lore-accurate, not to mention scale would cause many issues.

    How would you fit AV in Alterac, of AB in Arathi Highlands? AV would be the worst, it's basically a long line, questing there would be a nightmare.

  5. #5
    I'm still trying to puzzle out why we walk into Firelands, but walk out this fiery outside area inside Firelands. Same goes the way Kara is- it's huge on the inside compared to the actual building.

  6. #6
    because thats what you get when you have instanced game world. also because i would venture to say that many of these things crop up after the initial design of the land and figures it takes too much time/resources/money etc to go back and redesign the game world.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Hildefuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Europe
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    I'm still trying to puzzle out why we walk into Firelands, but walk out this fiery outside area inside Firelands. Same goes the way Kara is- it's huge on the inside compared to the actual building.
    What would be your approach while designing it, then?

  8. #8
    The Terrace thing has been bugging me too. I was gonna go back and look for it, but now that you're confirming it's not there... bummer.

  9. #9
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    I'm still trying to puzzle out why we walk into Firelands, but walk out this fiery outside area inside Firelands. Same goes the way Kara is- it's huge on the inside compared to the actual building.
    Two different things.

    The entrance to firelands is a portal to, effectively, another dimension. Firelands is not "inside" the building in Hyjal.

    Kara on the other hand is just strange. Planck space, or something.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    I'm still trying to puzzle out why we walk into Firelands, but walk out this fiery outside area inside Firelands. Same goes the way Kara is- it's huge on the inside compared to the actual building.
    Well when you step into the Firelands, you're going into another dimension. So it's not like you're entering a castle or whatever. Still doesn't make sense as to why they constructed a building around the portal into the fire plane though...

  11. #11
    The world isn't even remotely scale accurate. Northrend is over 800 miles wide, according to lore, but not even 10 in the game(which is good, because it would literally take hours to get anywhere on an epic flying mount otherwise).
    Stormwind has several ten thousands of inhabitants.

    That's why. You simply couldn't fit all the stuff in the scaled down version of the world we get to see.

  12. #12
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Still doesn't make sense as to why they constructed a building around the portal into the fire plane though...
    I suppose the building itself supports a portal strong enough to allow passage of powerful things? As far as I'm aware, the fire guys built it to get out, rather than others to get in. Maybe a monument that large was needed to create a portal to allow Ragnaros and his goons through.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 03:59 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That's why. You simply couldn't fit all the stuff in the scaled down version of the world we get to see.
    Oh, I entirely understand from a technical perspective. It still just irks me that they don't even remotely correspond to any particular area.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  13. #13
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,253
    I guess they didn't really think it through prior to implementing flying mounts to Azeroth. For instance, back in the olden days (Vanilla), a battleground in Azshara, namely Azshara Crater, was supposed to be introduced. This was a battleground that you could actually see. It did never get implemented and its former presence on Azshara is pretty much gone.

    But I do agree. Having the pvp instances out in the world, with pvp dailies, would eventually make it an open world pvp arena (you do not remove the regular battlegrounds). Which would've been awesome. Maybe you should make a suggestion on the World of Warcraft forums? I'm not a pvper myself, but I would've used this far more than I do use battleground due to the scale. I like large scale pvp like Crossroads (oh, how I miss you <3).

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Same goes the way Kara is- it's huge on the inside compared to the actual building.
    Well this rule does not apply to Kara... In the "Last Guardian" it was mentioned several times that its interior was unbelievably big compared to what was seen from the outside... We're talking about a building imbued with magic of a last guardian...

    And as far as rest ins concerned... well true...
    Woop Woop Woop...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Oh, I entirely understand from a technical perspective. It still just irks me that they don't even remotely correspond to any particular area.
    But they do. Terrace is in the mountains behind the entrance. Alterac Valley is in the *drumroll* Alterac Mountains. For Deepwind Gorge they even explicitly told you where it is.

    Sure, they don't have any visual representation in the "real" game world, but that would be kind of a waste of dev time compared to the benefit.

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire Hildefuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Europe
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    For instance, back in the olden days (Vanilla), a battleground in Azshara, namely Azshara Crater, was supposed to be introduced. This was a battleground that you could actually see. It did never get implemented and its former presence on Azshara is pretty much gone.
    Not exactly, you could see the entrance only, the BG itself had a very different layout that you did not see in-game.

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,347
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The world isn't even remotely scale accurate. Northrend is over 800 miles wide, according to lore, but not even 10 in the game(which is good, because it would literally take hours to get anywhere on an epic flying mount otherwise).
    Stormwind has several ten thousands of inhabitants.

    That's why. You simply couldn't fit all the stuff in the scaled down version of the world we get to see.
    I don't think anything in the game is fully to scale really. Otherwise the world would be several times as large. Think about it, there are something like 20,000 High Elves in Stormwind alone right now, no? Add in all the other races like Humans and Dwarves and you've got quite the city lol

    It's basically just the case of gameplay trumping lore really. If everything was to scale, you'd have so much more travelling to do. The cities would be huge though and I'd probably like that. Just to see some much life in one spot of the game.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 12:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    Well this rule does not apply to Kara... In the "Last Guardian" it was mentioned several times that its interior was unbelievably big compared to what was seen from the outside... We're talking about a building imbued with magic of a last guardian...

    And as far as rest ins concerned... well true...
    Karazhan was basically built by Time Lords xD

    Rarely updated...

  18. #18
    I don't get how we are able to kill Drek'Thar repeatedly, shouldn't he just die once and never be available ever again? Get over it, it's a game.

  19. #19
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Think about it, there are something like 20,000 High Elves in Stormwind alone right now, no?
    I believe "no" is the answer.

    There are -very- few high elves in the world at all. A hundred? Less maybe? Let alone 20,000 in stormwind.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 04:12 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Get over it, it's a game.
    You confuse 'realism' with 'lore'. We aren't talking about realism.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I don't get how we are able to kill Drek'Thar repeatedly, shouldn't he just die once and never be available ever again? Get over it, it's a game.
    he is using his ankh... duuuuh >.>
    Woop Woop Woop...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •