Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Bagram airfield crash

A civilian cargo plane crash at Bagram Air Field north of Kabul in Afghanistan has killed seven people.

Pretty nuts, word is that it was carrying 5 MRAPS when the cargo shifted, causing it to be back heavy. Unusual to see it so close up when they crash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bagra...urfaces-2013-4
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-04-30 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looked like it was going straight up, never a good move... crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Looked like takeoff to me, then a cargo shift and loss of control / stall.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Over there...they get up and out as quickly as possible...people shoot at them.

Cargo shift could definitely have done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those MRAPS look to be really heavy. A quick internet search shows that the MRAP II's can weigh upwards of 40,000 lbs or more. Having 5 of those shift to the back of an aircraft would dramatically shift the centre of mass for the aircraft. Another article states they can weight between 19 and 40 tons, depending on the model.

They look beefy as hell too;

Apparently it was a 747-400 model that crashed. I think the max weight they can carry is something like 120 tonnes, when it comes to cargo.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-04-30 at 07:14 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

It's kinda like the meteor in Russia car video. These drivers never have a single reaction to something you don't see to often.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    It's kinda like the meteor in Russia car video. These drivers never have a single reaction to something you don't see to often.
    I think it would take a while for that to sink in for me as well if that happened right before my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The plane tries to adjust it self properly before it dies

It's surprising that they still haven't found a way to make aviation fuel safer yet. It looks like crew section hit the ground at only(I use this word loosely) around 100mph, but the mass of the plane obliterated it, rather than it stopping dead, meaning that other than fire and shrapnel, the g-load itself from the crash was probably survivable.

Which sadly is the case with large airliners. People burn to death in an otherwise survivable crash.

Wow. I don't mean this in the wrong way, but that's really incredible to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my God, that's terrible. This might be a dumb question considering the obvious damage we can clearly see, but is the pilot okay?

Deleted
    was the plane going vertically upward at the start? o.0 never seen a plane do that at take off before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Oh my God, that's terrible. This might be a dumb question considering the obvious damage we can clearly see, but is the pilot okay?
    I hope that is not serious.......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

im pretty sure none of the crew survived that :\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    was the plane going vertically upward at the start? o.0 never seen a plane do that at take off before.
    They do it to avoid being shot down, normally it is not a problem but the cargo was not secured properly, causing the weight to shift.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-04-30 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They do it to avoid being shot down, normally it is not a problem but the cargo was not secured properly, causing the wight to shift.
    To expand on this:

Weight shifts to the rear, this causes the pitch to be steeper than intended. This limits the flow of air over the top of the wing (Bernoulli's Principle) and thus the airplane stalls and loses lift, then it loses airspeed, and then we saw what happens next: he didn't have enough altitude to regain airspeed and proper pitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awful awful. I have a friend who pilots aircraft and this is what he said:

Looks like a cross control stall.
    See how they were taking off, looks like they turned 'right' but the aircraft then 'banked left'
    They pulled up WAAAY too high, were going too slow, (no lift over the wings) so when they 'turned' it disrupted the airflow over the wings. And when they turned, it stalled one wing more than the other, and so it stalled one side of the aircraft more than the other - causing a cross-control stall.
    The pilot tried to recover by pointing the aircraft nose down, and powering up, I'm sure, but they were too low to recover.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 07:50 PM ----------

I hope that is not serious.......
    "Hope for the best!"
    Optimism is my weakness.

Deleted
    They do it to avoid being shot down, normally it is not a problem but the cargo was not secured properly, causing the wight to shift.

wow, didn't evem know a plane of that size could do a take off like that, sounds harsh but the video was quite interesting, never seen one that close up.

Deleted
    http://news.yahoo.com/us-cargo-plane...062752227.html

It was a Civilian craft, not Military.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    wow, didn't evem know a plane of that size could do a take off like that, sounds harsh but the video was quite interesting, never seen one that close up.
    Wait until you are in one when they take off like that, there is a reason they issue brown uniforms out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's surprising that they still haven't found a way to make aviation fuel safer yet. It looks like crew section hit the ground at only(I use this word loosely) around 100mph, but the mass of the plane obliterated it, rather than it stopping dead, meaning that other than fire and shrapnel, the g-load itself from the crash was probably survivable.

Which sadly is the case with large airliners. People burn to death in an otherwise survivable crash.
    Did you see how hard that plane collided with the ground? Unless you were unconscious so your body was relaxed, I highly doubt that would be survivable. That was pretty much a stone drop right into the ground, except that stone is a giant plane.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream