Rock'n'Roll Racing 3D

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rock-n-roll-racing-3d

!!!!

I still play my snes version from time to time, still love this game.
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks pretty freaking sweet. Wonder if they'll have newer rock music, to update it from the classic stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda hope they don't lol. Can't say i'm much of a fan of new "Rock"

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard may get a bit angry over that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do they have permission from Vivendi or Blizzard? (I'm not sure which one owns the rights to this).
    Even if there's enough changes to make it way different than the original, they still need permission to use the title, and no, adding 3D does not make it different.

While it looks cool and all, even if Blizzard do like it, I can only see it getting wrapped up in some severe legal red tape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Similar to how works of art or literature become public domain after a certain period of time, do or would video games?

I'm a bit befuddled as to how they're trying to raise money for a game it doesn't appear they can legally make. The footage looks great (the music is kind of "meh" though) and I really enjoyed the original, but I can't see how this isn't going to end up in some sort of legal mess.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 03:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Similar to how works of art or literature become public domain after a certain period of time, do or would video games?
    Isn't it 50 years after the creator/owner's death? I've got a few copyrights so I may want to look into this >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I'm a bit befuddled as to how they're trying to raise money for a game it doesn't appear they can legally make. The footage looks great (the music is kind of "meh" though) and I really enjoyed the original, but I can't see how this isn't going to end up in some sort of legal mess.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 03:00 PM ----------

Isn't it 50 years after the creator/owner's death? I've got a few copyrights so I may want to look into this >.>
    As far as I can tell a software program as a "work made for hire" copyright will retain it's rights for 95 years after publication. They can legally make this game without Blizzards consent in 2089

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 04:05 PM ----------

Ah, I see, they're getting around copy right infringement by making it completely free. I'm not sure how that jives with a kickerstarter but I guess those are just considered donations and not payment for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can do it if they didn't ask for or receive a single cent for it, and released it for free. A group of people called mane6 had this issue recently, though it wasn't their doing. Hasbro stepped in and stopped their game. Guess that ship has sailed already if they're asking for a kickstarter already.

Deleted
    Uhm, since when is it not copyright violation when it's free? Parody is obviously excluded, but even 'free' stuff can be taken down.
    Anyway never knew the original, but the reboot seems decent. Reminds me of an other game I want to see again: Rollcage (PC version where in splitscreen you also have cpu players otherwise it was boring, aka ps1 version and RC2)

15+ Year Old Account
    how do you guys know if they do or do not have the permission to use the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    how do you guys know if they do or do not have the permission to use the name?
    Look in the comments on the kick starter page. Even he says that blizzard will shut it down if they find out about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyandor View Post
    Uhm, since when is it not copyright violation when it's free? Parody is obviously excluded, but even 'free' stuff can be taken down.
    Anyway never knew the original, but the reboot seems decent. Reminds me of an other game I want to see again: Rollcage (PC version where in splitscreen you also have cpu players otherwise it was boring, aka ps1 version and RC2)
    Technically, it's still a copyright violation. But think about it. That means that every piece of fan art, every fan fic, everything that relates to that particular IP, could be taken down by the company that owns it. Obviously, they don't, because it's horrible PR. That's why it'd make sense for them to leave it alone, as long as they don't make any money off of it and just do it for fun.

But, this is a terrible idea, and I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't done anything about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Technically, it's still a copyright violation. But think about it. That means that every piece of fan art, every fan fic, everything that relates to that particular IP, could be taken down by the company that owns it. Obviously, they don't, because it's horrible PR. That's why it'd make sense for them to leave it alone, as long as they don't make any money off of it and just do it for fun.

But, this is a terrible idea, and I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't done anything about it yet.
    Reminds me of this

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-c...rcement-patrol