Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which laptop should I buy ?:)

Hello there guys, I`m here once again.
    I made a topic yesterday, but can`t bump it, sorry to duplicate it, just a fast question too.

My laptop choices are on:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---1...=1218858193064

Asus G75VX: i7-3630QM processor, 8 GB DDR3 1600 (up to 32), and GTX 670MX 3GB.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...01C9:0000C509:

Lenovo Y500: i7-3630QM processor, 16 GB DDR3 1600, and GT 750 2GB, Ultrabay SLI Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

I dont know if the GT750 SLI is strong than GTX 670MX 3GB, been lookin around on internet, but didnt found anything.

Please help me once again.
    (others laptops are welcome, as long as they are stronger and fits my budge, which is around 1200 )

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solfan01 View Post
    Hello there guys, I`m here once again.
    I made a topic yesterday, but can`t bump it, sorry to duplicate it, just a fast question too.

My laptop choices are on:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---1...=1218858193064

Asus G75VX: i7-3630QM processor, 8 GB DDR3 1600 (up to 32), and GTX 670MX 3GB.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...01C9:0000C509:

Lenovo Y500: i7-3630QM processor, 16 GB DDR3 1600, and GT 750 2GB, Ultrabay SLI Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

I dont know if the GT750 SLI is strong than GTX 670MX 3GB, been lookin around on internet, but didnt found anything.

Please help me once again.
    (others laptops are welcome, as long as they are stronger and fits my budge, which is around 1200 )

Thanks
    I dont know for sure, but the GT750 SLI sounds like it would make for a larger laptop, making it less portable, I figure the performance is roughly the same between the two graphics wise.

Personally, I'd go with the Asus.
    Call me House.

Deleted
    Also, Asus one sells at Bestbuy, which I can buy right now, while Lenovo..2 weeks of waiting, sick..

if anyone can link me a Benchmark between the 2 Graphic Cards.
    Because I dont understand the meaning of GTX, MX,M, GT..for me 750 is better than 670 just cause it`s a higher number..sorry for being dumb.

Thanks

I would get the Asus

Don't see any good reasons for SLI on a laptop. Odds are it'll only cause the thing to overheat even faster than single GPU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Must you decide between just those two? I have some strong reservations about both of the manufacturer's. They each have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. period.

Deleted
    Well, if you got any other Laptop with the same perfomance, then I`m good with it.
    Just help me to decide it

Asus one is really cool, curious to check if there is anything better at same pricee

Deleted
    ASUS and Lenovo would be two good choices I would recommend in most cases. I've owned an Asus with an onboard gfx card and a HP with AMD's new integrated CPU/GPU stuff. ASUS has a good cooling system in their PC in my opinion and they don't make any crap about cramming stuff into the keyboard space such as the HP I'm on does. Of all the brands for the general market that aren't super expensive either, Asus and Lenovo would probably be two fine recommendations in my opinion. Asus is a good brand in my opinion and is good for gaming laptops and the Lenovo IdeaPad Y-500 in general has gotten good reviews.

Of those two, for a gaming user (ie. you don't never game and only use it for desktop/processing/rendering or something, but play games with it), I think you will find the better gaming laptop in the Asus. Both in the card being a single one (SLI may not perform as well, bang for your buck in most games, performance wise) and Asus' general awareness and consideration of gaming use. Of the two, being a gamer myself, I would choose the Asus. If you're gonna run WoW and other stuff on it, you'll probably find the better performance and cooling on the Asus.

Another option is, if you're not too impatient to get it (which sounds as a tough deal in this circumstance ;D), is to wait for a good deal somewhere, and buy a laptop at 80-90% of the typical price or whatever you can find a good deal on in big stores that buy a lot and sell a cheap deal to get customers. Typically, you would probably not be looking at upgrading the laptop hardware-wise, so if you can a cheaper one or a better one for the same price, then it might be well worth it. If you keep buying laptops on the cheapest sale you can find when there's a good one (black friday, big, rare sales or whatever they are) then you can maintain a good laptop cheaper. Anyways, won't help you now when you're getting one to use immidiately. When you buy a laptop, you're pretty much buying a final package, so every bit helps.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2013-04-30 at 09:44 PM.

Deleted
    SLI yeah, I dont think it doubles the perfomance, atleast for some games, anyway I play mostly Guild Wars 2, so if you guys say Asus one is better for that game ( also SimCity, Bioshock Infinite ), I will definitely buy that one.

Speaking of GW2, my wife just got the Lenovo Y500 with the 750m SLI and she was getting 66fps in Lion's Arch on the recommended settings. It's an awesome laptop, especially for the money.

2 downsides: slow hdd, although there is an SSD cache. It is a little big for a 15 inch but is very light and very well built

Deleted
    sorry i bothered mr perfectionists. no wonder people say the ones on here are wankers...
    Last edited by mmoc0438bebda2; 2013-04-30 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    heres yoru benchmark comparison you wanted dude
    You confuse 'benchmark' with 'comparison'

All that does is show the difference in stats, not difference in actual performance.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    heres yoru benchmark comparison you wanted dude

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...orce-gtx-670mx

both seem very similar... down to personal preference i guess
    What benchmarks? All I see is a comparison of specs which doesn't exactly tell the entire story.

The Lenovo has one GPU on the motherboard which is soldered and the second GPU is connected via an Ultrabay. This Ultrabay allows you to switch out the graphics card with an optical or an HDD depending what you want without needing to do anything but remove 1-2 screws and put in the other caddy. Both of the GPU's have separate cooling solutions that are independent of one another. Not to mention the GT 750M uses less power and runs cooler than the GTX 670M. The Lenovo weighs 6.4 lbs and is only 15.6" with a 1080p screen while the Asus is 9.92 lbs and has a 17.3" screen.

Furthermore, the Lenovo also has Intel WIFI, which is fucking amazing in comparison to the shitty Realtek that the Asus has.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-04-30 at 11:30 PM.

Deleted
    Well is there a big difference between 15' vs 17' screens?
    Lenovo also has 16GB DDR3 RAM, that site you linked shows that GT750M SLI has its advantanges, and 16GB SSD, why would anyone want that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be takes less effort to run something at 15' than 17', or not?
    It's hard cause some guys says Lenovo while others say Asus...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well is there a big difference between 15' vs 17' screens?
    Lenovo also has 16GB DDR3 RAM, that site you linked shows that GT750M SLI has its advantanges, and 16GB SSD, why would anyone want that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be takes less effort to run something at 15' than 17', or not?
    It's hard cause some guys says Lenovo while others say Asus...

No, they have the SAME resolution. This means the SAME amount of pixels are being rendered regardless of the screen size. For example a 70" 1080p TV will provide the same performance as a 15.6" 1080p screen. Resolution is what determines the actual performance since its how many pixels are actually being rendered. Regardless of the screen size 1920x1080 resolution is 2073600 pixels.

I personally own the G75VW with a GTX 670M and regret buying it as opposed to the Lenovo Y500 since its big, bulky and actually a pain to carry around unless you buy something like this:

http://www.slappa.com/MASK-High-Five...2&category=133

I also prefer Nvidia Optimus now that the quirks have been basically sorted out since it extends battery life by quite a bit. Its something the Asus G75 series doesn't have and the Lenovo does. The battery life on the G75's isn't anything to brag about either with only 2.5-3 hours.

The 16GB SSD is for SSD Caching on the HDD it has. It uses an mSATA port which can be easily changed out by unscrewing 1 panel. This means you can easily swap it out for say a 256GB Crucial mSATA SSD and use that as your boot drive instead of the HDD.

The only pro to the G75's in my opinion is the ability to have 2 HDD/SSD's because it has 2 SATA bays in it. One of the major downsides to the G75's however is that upgrading RAM can eventually become a pain because the 8GB it has inside isn't accessible without VOIDING the warranty. It does however have 2 more DIMM slots for RAM but if you plan to upgrade to a set of 4 sticks you have to void your warranty to change them out.

Overall the Lenovo just has a better set of useful features than the Asus. Another thing I dislike about the Asus is the backlit keyboard is actually quite dim and the LED's aren't per key. They put a series of LED's per sets of keys and this leaves some dimmer than others.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-05-01 at 12:21 AM.

Deleted
    Well weight is not a problem, atleast the bigger screen have a higher resolution, just talkin bout performance, cause I can order a handbag from Ebay to fit the 17screen.
    I heard some games perfom badly on SLI, true? and still, what should I put on the 16GB SSD? not even GW2...
    Well since you got the Asus laptop, you manage to push to, let's say, ULTRA on MMOs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well weight is not a problem, atleast the bigger screen have a higher resolution, just talkin bout performance, cause I can order a handbag from Ebay to fit the 17screen.
    I heard some games perfom badly on SLI, true? and still, what should I put on the 16GB SSD? not even GW2...
    Well since you got the Asus laptop, you manage to push to, let's say, ULTRA on MMOs?
    No, the bigger screen does NOT have a bigger resolution. They are BOTH 1920x1080. The 17.3" on the Asus has the same 1920x1080 resolution as the 15.6" on the Lenovo. For the most part its older games that tend to run badly with SLI. Guild Wars 2 shouldn't have any issue with SLI and you should not have any issue with overheating since the cooling is separate for both GPU's. The 16GB is used for CACHING to the HDD. This means that it uses the SSD to pre-load stuff for your most used programs/games/etc.

In WoW it runs about 40-60 fps in Cities with tons of people around and in raids about 25-40 but this is using max shadows. Out questing I can hit around 100+ easily.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-05-01 at 12:25 AM.

Deleted
    I dont like shadows at all, always put em off, you think you would perform better on Y500 than on Asus??
    Lenovo then should perform better than Asus on Guild Wars 2, and games like that, newer ones.
    I can always plug it to a bigger TV.

Big bonus for Lenovo for 16GB DDR3 and the GT750M 2GB SLI which makes it 4GB and it's been released this month (read it somewhere).
    lol I was going for Asus one, now it all changed...

Thanks for your replies mates.

10+ Year Old Account
    16GB DDR3 and .. 4GB
    Both of these aspects will have 0 impact on gaming. It's like throwing a couple tires in the trunk of your car and expecting it to go faster.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    So at end they are on the same boat, I wont notice any difference between them?
    I should pick the Asus one at Bestbuy then.

Thanks all, always confused but seems like they all perfomance the same