Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    from a pvp point of view adding a new class would mean yet another 3 specs needing balancing for pvp, so no.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    from a pvp point of view adding a new class would mean yet another 3 specs needing balancing for pvp, so no.
    There's a difference between something being a pain in the ass and something being impossible.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    For me, the classes that are still missing are:

Regular classes:
    • Necromancer
    • Bard
    • Tinker

Hero Classes:
    • Demon Hunter
    • Dragonsworn

Possible new specializations of existing classes:
    • Battlemage (Mage)
    • Ranger (Hunter)
    • Stalker (Rogue)
    • Inquisitor (Priest)
    • Knight (Paladin)
    • Spellbreaker (Warrior)
    Necromancer : Unholy priest basically is also alli would have none of that
    Bard : YES PLEASE! though i dont see it happening
    Tinker: no that would hurt the engineers profession way to much
    Demon Hunter: warlock crossed with a rogue, both populations are hurting I don't see it happening
    Dragonsworn: not sure but i think that would be a druid spec rather then a class "Traditionally, the most well known dragonsworn are druids" -wowpedia, but i could see it... save for the facts of what happened in cata making it very unlikely
    Battlemage (Mage) hard to do, would change what they could equip
    Ranger (Hunter) so just a hunter with no pet?
    Stalker (Rogue) subtlety
    Inquisitor (Priest) what would it do? i mean that is diffrent
    Knight (Paladin) umm so a pally with no holy powers? Isn't that a warrior?
    Spellbreaker (Warrior) eh maybe but spellbreaker would be more a class then a spec, though i could see it happening

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thraenduil View Post
    Tinker is one of my favorites as well, since we don't have mecha-using type in the game yet.
    Umm what do you call the engineering profession then?

Honestly the biggest thing Blizzard could do is add a 4th spec for every class. Which would be a huge amount of work, but it would completely change the dynamic of the game. Problem is balancing and coming up with viable ideas, though I have a few (names work in progress):

Death Knight - Necromantic (ranged spellcaster, minion user)
    Druid - None (more refinement between Feral and Guardian, perhaps adding armour to animal forms - though shoulders may be the limit)
    Hunter - Ranger (no pet, more focus on mobility and quasi-stealth, essentially an ambush skrimisher)
    Mage - Battle Mage (mail user, quasi-melee with shorter ranged abilities, focus on survivability and spell variety, not a tank class)
    Monk - Xen Archer (uses Chi to charge up bow attacks, different flavour of physical ranged dps)
    Paladin - Inquisitor (spellbreaker, ranged caster, cooldowns focus on magic damage reduction, mild healing ability possibly in line with Shadow Priests)
    Priest - Zealot (offensive holy spellcaster)
    Rogue - Ninja (throwing weapon focused, has bombs for aoe damage and stuns, melee attacks focus on disabling opponant so you can retreat to a safer range)
    Shaman - Earthwarden (offtank capable melee dps, focuses more on AoE damage and CC)
    Warlock - Bloodmage (drains enemies of lifeforce and gives them to allies, mild healing in line with Shadow Priests)
    Warrior - Dualist (seperate Titan Grip and Single Minded Fury into two specs, uses one handed weapons, focuses more on alternating parrying defense and quick burst dps depending on stance. Infact I'd probably even remove Berzerker and Battle Stances, replace them both with 'Aggressive Stance' to make balancing Warriors a bit easier)

Not perfect, but there we go. Could even give everyone a third spec but limit it to only being used in PvP (BG's, Arena and Open World - i.e. not in instances, raids or scenarios).

Course, some people want Demon Hunters. Which is doable as well, but I think they'd work better as a neutral faction that we work alongside while fighting the Burning Legion.
    Last edited by Durandro; 2013-05-05 at 12:50 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The three I always toss around, Bard, Demon Hunter, and Tinkerer, are all plausible additions.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post

Exactly what it is; A crafting profession. For many it isn't enough, because much of the abilities you can gain through the profession are tied to items that go obsolete way before you reach max level. In the end, the best thing about the profession Are the mounts and weapons you can make.

It's nothing like having a technology based class.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post
    Necromancer : Unholy priest basically is also alli would have none of that
    All nameworthy necromancers in WarCraft have been mages. What are you talking about?

Engineering has no mechas.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Honestly the biggest thing Blizzard could do is add a 4th spec for every class. Which would be a huge amount of work, but it would completely change the dynamic of the game.
    Actually - probably less than you'd think. They would really only need to develop the spec specific abilities, there'd be no new animations, no new quests or stories.

The BIG problem is if you make specs too wide ranging, there is less incentive for variety. More to the point, any meaningful change MAY result in players being upset.

Right now, I think the current system is showing its age and the limitations imposed by the previous design criteria. 3 specs were necessary simply for balance - druids and paladins had three roles/trees in which to spend talents points so the classes all needed three specs.

That isn't the case any more.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-05-05 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Actually - probably less than you'd think. They would really only need to develop the spec specific abilities, there'd be no new animations, no new quests or stories.

The BIG problem is if you make specs too wide ranging, there is less incentive for variety. More to the point, any meaningful change MAY result in players being upset.

Right now, I think the current system is showing its age and the limitations imposed by the previous design criteria. 3 specs were necessary simply for balance - druids and paladins had three roles/trees in which to spend talents points so the classes all needed three specs.

That isn't the case any more.

EJL
    I think GC disagrees: https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...23266185551872
    " shawnlanglois ‏@shawnlanglois 27 Apr

@Ghostcrawler Silly question: What would take more effort, creating a new class from scratch, or adding a new spec to existing ones?
    Expand

Greg Street Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler 27 Apr

@shawnlanglois About the same when you consider the number of new abilities either would require. New class would take more art, esp. armor."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Actually a Demon hunter is a fusion of Warlock and Rogue, and maybe fury warrior.
    The Demon hunter existed before the rogue and is nothing like a Warcraft:Orcs and Humans warlock. Some of its abilities were taken away to make those 2 classes in WoW.

Warriors are based off of the blademaster of WC3, footmen and grunts in all the games, and the Diablo 2 barbarian.

Regular classes:
    • Necromancer
    • Bard
    • Tinker

Hero Classes:
    • Demon Hunter
    • Dragonsworn

• Battlemage (Mage)
    • Ranger (Hunter)
    • Stalker (Rogue)
    • Inquisitor (Priest)
    • Knight (Paladin)
    • Spellbreaker (Warrior)
    My thoughts:

Likely future classes:

Demon Hunter
    Dragonsworn

Likely new specs:
    Death Knight - Unholy split into melee necromancer with pet focus and int plate plagueweaver with disease focus
    Druid - Guardian and Feral is already a thing
    Hunter - Some sort of petless spec, maybe a marine or something
    Mage - Frostfire spec
    Monk - split Mistweaver into distinct caster and melee healing variants
    Paladin - Shockadin
    Priest - Smite spec
    Rogue - Maybe something ninja-y, or something ranged (maybe shuriken focused) to be different
    Warlock - Meta tanking spec
    Warrior - maybe something along the lines of a tactician spec where you have to micromanage minions? Or maybe a blademaster.

Things that don't work are ones that require a different type of armour or something.

Now? Honestly? It hasn't even been a freaking expansion since monks were released. Why do you hate balance?

Regular classes:
    • Necromancer
    • Bard
    • Tinker

Hero Classes:
    • Demon Hunter
    • Dragonsworn

• Battlemage (Mage)
    • Ranger (Hunter)
    • Stalker (Rogue)
    • Inquisitor (Priest)
    • Knight (Paladin)
    • Spellbreaker (Warrior)
    A necromancer is in deathknight.
    Bard is possible but there is none in Warcraft because they are the most lame idea for a class ever thought of.
    Tinker is possible i guess.

Demon hunter is basically a warlock. demonology is 100% a demon hunter.
    There is no such thing as a dragonsworn in warcraft... i dont see why they would add a Dragon anything class in wow its a horrible idea.
    A new heroic class is a bad idea as well, just because they have flashy names they need to be OP? i think not, Deathknights are hardly Hero classes now they already know it was a bad idea and they probably wont do it again...

Maybe a 4th spec but it probably be bad for balancing. Also if they added necromancer chances are it would be a 4th spec for DK... which is meh...
    Ranger for hunter is basically marksman?
    stalker for rogue is basically sublety?
    inquisitor is basically Discipline? u know the whole attonement healing thing...
    A knight would be ret? what would be the difference...

How many people didn't even try out MONK .

Well, in a sense there's already too many classes. Lots of redundant abilities already exist. At the same time, there's also lots of things that aren't in game that could be added via a new class.

So yes a new class is entirely possible. I just don't know that it's advisable.

I've always been fond of the idea of a Gunslinger class. That'd be cool. Might even quiet a few folk who think there should be a petless Hunter spec (which blizz is never gonna do afterall).

And I've often thought about a Barbarian class, a purely dps only class, mail armor. I think it could be done right and different enough from a warrior.

A Botanist class, with a plant pet. Dominately a ranged dps class but with some off-heals ability. Again done right it wouldn't be that much like a druid imo.

A Herald/Bard class. More of a buff/off heals/dps type of class. Deploys standards/banners and uses music/magic to rally their allies or intimidate enemies
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Adding another spec to all classes would seem like a fun idea. Or maybe your idea... I don't care. brb gotta poop
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreche View Post
    A necromancer is in deathknight.
    Bard is possible but there is none in Warcraft because they are the most lame idea for a class ever thought of.
    Tinker is possible i guess.

Demon hunter is basically a warlock. demonology is 100% a demon hunter.
    There is no such thing as a dragonsworn in warcraft... i dont see why they would add a Dragon anything class in wow its a horrible idea.
    A new heroic class is a bad idea as well, just because they have flashy names they need to be OP? i think not, Deathknights are hardly Hero classes now they already know it was a bad idea and they probably wont do it again...

Maybe a 4th spec but it probably be bad for balancing. Also if they added necromancer chances are it would be a 4th spec for DK... which is meh...
    Ranger for hunter is basically marksman?
    stalker for rogue is basically sublety?
    inquisitor is basically Discipline? u know the whole attonement healing thing...
    A knight would be ret? what would be the difference...
    Dragonsworn has been explored to the same extent as pre-MoP Pandaria and would make sense as a development of Wrathion's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    If what youre looking for is a new class or spec based on a different style of doing damage or healing there isnt much. For dps we still dont have a throwing weapon based damage like Berserkers. Healing is pretty much covered. Maybe a spec that does healing through ranged spells that hit players since healing now has very few spell effects that show the heal travel to the recipient.

BTW the warlock and rogue classes are fusions of other classes and demon hunters not the other way around.
    there were always warlocks

Not sure this suggestion will make sense, but I'll try ...

Instead of entirely new classes, add complex new specs into existing classes, using stuff from the RPG. Like, allow warriors to become http://www.wowpedia.org/Bone_crusher (or maybe monks) ... it could open up a lot of possibilities, and would likely be easier to implement that an entirely new class.