Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ever seen someone almost die?

It is probably the scariest thing in life. Luckily they got pulled out but were pretty banged up. I was kayaking with some friends and it rained all weekend so the river was nice and the current was amazing. Anyway there is a low head damn, Weir etc( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weir) that if you do not avoid, you will most certainly die it'll pull you under and you'll drown. But either the current was too fast, or they derped out, but they went over, but luckily the dam workers knew what to do so they got pulled out. I know this might not sound scarey but the low head dam claims many lives each year.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/lowhead.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Rm1KJzVl4

I've almost died 4 times.

Deleted
    Yes, didn't find it particularly scary. Was way more scared when I had overdosed and was getitng too weak to stay up, had real bad labored breathing and I was losing consciousness. Realized I kind of wanted to live and that it was too late to do something about it, wanted to scream, tried to get up to call for help but was too weak to even get up from the floor after I had fell. Was crying because of what I had done to myself, eventually lost consciousness. My mother came home and found me lying on the floor barely breathing, by the time the ambulance came I stopped breathing at all, woke up at the hospital intubated later.

Deleted
    When I was 3 years old, my brother fell unconscious under my eyes and his mouth started to foam. Thankfully I was in the same room with him, and alerted mom who was in another room.

Do I count as well? Because I almost died once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost die? Yes. Die? Yes.

I've almost died once one lung just stopped.

Deleted
    Yeah but then I hit Swiftmend

But on a serious note, yeah I have there was a pretty horrific crash a few yards outside my house when I was younger I remember watching out the window wondering if they were going to be alright and my mam saying I shouldnt be watching it. Quite an experience.

more than a few times, both almost and actual. it's a mixed bag. when they've been undergoing painful treatment at the behest of family members who don't or won't understand that DEATH IS OK, i'm more than happy to see them go. when they die suddenly of complications on a successful treatment, it's heartbreaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does almost getting hit by cars/truck a multitude of times count? Because if yes I've come a few inches close to almost dying a couple times.

Deleted
    I've come close to death twice.

1. Cut a massive hole in my right leg which was inches from hitting the main artery and causing me to bleed out, I remember feeling really weak and sleepy at the time and my dad doing his best to keep me awake.

2. Had a massive allergic reaction that caused my throat to close up, made breathing really hard and made me feel weak and tired and sleepy. The Doctor said that if my mum had waited a few more days I would have suffocated, I had to take some form of steroids to build my body back up.

I have also seen a man die of a stroke, he dropped outside my old house and I had to watch as my mum desperately try to save him with CPR (which we now know didn't do much apart from keep oxygen in his lungs) but she was too late to do any good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in the hospital the night my grandpa died. He suffered a really bad stroke and had heart problems for about 5 years before he died.

I actually saw a man die in person though. I was at the beach and he drunkenly dove head first off of a pier into some rocks, was knocked unconscious, and drowned.

I don't pity him.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Can't remember if I've ever seen anyone almost die, but I have seen someone actually die. The man mentioned in this story, actually. http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...-bus-kills-man

It was really scary, and pretty sad. Basically, Courtney Campbell Causeway (for anyone who hasn't driven over it) is a bridge that connects Tampa, FL to Clearwater, FL, and it's a fairly wide bridge with 2 lanes on each side that rests right on the water. There are parts where you can get off the main bridge and drive down a little side road so you can stop to fish, or just look at the water, whatever, and there's a pier where you can launch boats from. At this particular pier, there's a traffic light, as there's another exit on the other side. So there's no concrete barrier dividing the two sides and it's one of the only spots on the bridge where you can merge onto the bridge and go right or left.

The young man was at a red light behind his friends in their own vehicle, and the light turned green and they were heading left (west toward Clearwater) and his friends made it through the intersection but while he was going, a "Party Bus" blew the red light and t-boned him on the driver's side, and it spun his car around so he ended up sliding from the east bound lane into the west bound, and his car facing backwards toward where he was waiting for the green light just moments ago. I was about 3/4 of a mile behind the Party Bus when it happened, and as I came up to the scene it was hard to see what had happened at first. I saw the front bumper of the bus hanging off (it was a big coach bus, so quite large) and it was parked against the divider, and the wind was very, very strong that night. As I passed the bus I thought that a cross wind had caused him to hit the divider, so I almost continued on, but felt that maybe I should help, so I pulled a u-turn further up and as I was heading up the westbound lane and coming back to the scene, people were running toward my car and yelling at me to get me to slow down (the speed limit on this bridge is like 65 or so, and it was poorly lit so cars were flying by it).

So I stopped and it was at this point that I saw the young man's car (until this point I had thought the bus was the only vehicle involved because the divider had previously blocked my view of the sedan), and his car had the whole drivers side caved in, it was shaped like a 150 degree angle or so, and after parking my car I immediately called 911 and started running to his car, and he was quite obviously pinned in the car, he had severe rope burns on his neck and cheek (from the seatbelt tensioner tightening up from the impact) and was slipping in and out of consciousness. Kind of like when you try talking to someone who's so drunk that they're beginning to pass out. I told 911 about the situation and they got about 4 different stations out to the accident. They got police, EMS, and fire from Tampa and Clearwater, and they were at the scene within 3 minutes, which was fairly quick considering the size of the bridge. (The bridge, btw is about 7-8 miles long, and this was almost right in the middle of it) Unfortunately, despite their response time, the vehicle was so badly crushed they had to use the "Jaws of Life" and pull apart almost the entire vehicle. They had to cut the roof off and cut open the driver's side to get him out.

A firefighter had smashed the back window open to climb into the backseat and support his head/comfort him, and I guess the pressure of the car pushing down on him must have been keeping him alive (which I hear happens a lot with these kind of accidents?) because as soon as they pulled him out of the car he just went limp and about 6-7 firefighters started running his stretcher to the ambulance with one of them riding on the side doing chest compressions. It was at that point it seemed obvious that he didn't make it, and the story I linked confirmed that the next morning. It was very surreal, and started feeling really scary/intense once the ambulance was leaving. I guess before that I was pumped up on adrenaline so I really didn't have time to stop and think "I'm watching someone die," even though I remember telling that to the 911 operator. Thinking back now, it feels really, really strange to know I was one of the last people to speak to this guy (I was talking to him while on the phone with 911, trying to keep him conscious, and he was responding). One of his friends had some sort of mental breakdown after the ambulance left too, and started screaming things toward the Party Bus about how he was gonna kill the driver, etc. Another one of the friends told me that the guy had just had a kid, and was getting married, etc. Very, very sad.

tl;dr: Not almost die, but have seen one person actually die in a car accident, after getting t-boned by a coach bus.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, when I was around 15 years old I saw someone standing right next to me. His skin was quite pale, all of a sudden it got really hot, I jumped away to avoid whatever it was that just hurt me, I turned around and saw he was shocklingly still standing there, I screamed for help but got no response, you would not believe what happened next........I spammed flashheal until he moved out of the fire and we killed the boss.

Deleted
    i've seen people nearly dieing a couple of times.
    been on the edge myself to
    and lost my mom while i was holding her hands at the age of 21

No. I have been around a very dead person though.

Yes, ive had friends get seriously injured in a helicopter crash...that was brutal to see.

I've also seen men get shot. Its not like the movies where someone is shot and they just fall to the ground like a puppet with their lines cut. From my experence people will scream and cry for quite a while, it can be very unnerving.

Almost die, yes, and working at a fairly popular restaurant for over eight years, they've pretty much all been there. Saw (well, I saw about half of it) a motorcyclist get hit by a car at a pretty good clip, he got thrown a good ways but I think he made out relatively lucky with just a couple broken bones. I've seen several elderly people just fall onto the table/onto the floor, I wouldn't be surpised if some of them didn't make it out of the hospital but it's not good to see their family freaking out...though one time the guy's daughter told us that it happens all the time. Another elderly chap fell on the sidewalk and cracked his head, there was quite a bit of blood but luckily one of our employees was a part-time EMT or something and he was able to provide help before the ambulance got there. And, apparently, three people (also old) have died in the restaurant over the years (been open for like 70 years.) One guy just dropped dead right in the booth, another out in the parking lot and one on the throne. Oh, and some drunk guy got hit maybe two years ago crossing the road, didn't die but he got hit by two cars so he was pretty fucked up.

So, yeah, if you're old and frail and don't want to go on, come have a bite at my restaurant.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a car accident where someone died. They were racing in the street and avoided some pedestrians by running into a power poll. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I've also seen men get shot. Its not like the movies where someone is shot and they just fall to the ground like a puppet with their lines cut. From my experence people will scream and cry for quite a while, it can be very unnerving.
    little bit off topic... i saw a pig get killed and slaughtered. took a 22 in the head, thing kicked and thrashed for 5 minutes after it was dead. until then i had assumed it was all over when the bullet hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    little bit off topic... i saw a pig get killed and slaughtered. took a 22 in the head, thing kicked and thrashed for 5 minutes after it was dead. until then i had assumed it was all over when the bullet hit.
    Depends where you hit really...