Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    No I was not around in vanilla ;p i'm a half way thru TBC baby .. Cc does need some attention though.. I have no idea how to fix it so i'm just guessing hehe.

btw DKs can has a fear, dark sim I think is it?

My DK has been hit for 300k damage(certainly more than 25% of my health) and STILL remained feared for the full duration...and other times, I've had it break after taking ONE 3k dot tick. Fix the BUGGINESS of Fear and it's fine.

Deleted
    Our dots with full cds and Haunt running don't deal enough damage to outdamage Second Wind. So whatever damage they do Yvaelle, it's insufficient and kinda sad to complain about.

---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    My DK has been hit for 300k damage(certainly more than 25% of my health) and STILL remained feared for the full duration...and other times, I've had it break after taking ONE 3k dot tick. Fix the BUGGINESS of Fear and it's fine.
    Probably a Horror effect, not a fear. If not it's hopefully an isolated incidence rooted in a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I'll say it again since it's clearing going whooosh.

FEAR IS NOT BREAKING ON DAMAGE A CERTAIN PERCENTAGE OF TIME. THERE'S NO REASON FOR THIS. IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE EXPANSION. IT IS STILL HAPPENING NOW. AND IT IS STILL HAPPENING IN 5.3 PTR.

Fear, for all intents and purposes, is a stun currently. Except spammable and lasting twice as long as most stuns.
    It's "going whoosh" because it's been addressed already. Yvaelle made a very nice post on the previous page about it. It's funny that you seem to be complaining that nobody is listening to you, but haven't managed to catch any of the prolific discussion about this point.

Playing my warlock earlier today before I had to leave for work, though I didn't have a chance to test in PvP, I was playing around with the order that I cast spells in to see how I could maximise Fear uptime. Every time that I cast Fear first, followed by Immolate, it broke instantly. Every single time, this happened. I realise this is anecdotal, but so is everything in this thread.

To really go into "Fear breaking on damage" in any real depth, and in a way that wasn't complete speculation but rather backed up by logs and numbers, we would need to see what circumstances each alleged case of failure to break on damage adhered to. I don't think there'd be any point to it, though, in my opinion it's just something to deal with when playing an online game that requires communication with a server and a level of latency that makes exact, synchronised timing difficult or impossible. The only likely thing Blizzard would consider changing is the pathing issue.

On the latency issue, plenty of times have I seen an enemy's health dip below 20%, in PvE and PvP, and just waited for my Shadowburn button to start sparkling. Usually, however, Shadowburn won't be available until less than a second before the enemy actually dies to something else, or they're healed above it. I don't pitch a fit at people for "stealing my Embers" or complain about how Shadowburn is a broken mechanic, though. Short of raising the threshold, there's nothing they can really do about it, and if they did raise it there'd still be people complaining that it doesn't activate quickly enough. These are just realities of playing an MMORPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Just have your healer dispel it. Or tremor it. Or interrupt it. Or Zerker Rage it. Or Lichborne it. Pretty much everything counters fear... So I'm guessing you already "fixed" your issues with it.

It's the stuns and interrupts that need fixing, not the regular CC.
    Oh yeah, fear that doesnt break on damage is completely fine keep on walking guys.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inahu View Post
    On the latency issue, plenty of times have I seen an enemy's health dip below 20%, in PvE and PvP, and just waited for my Shadowburn button to start sparkling. Usually, however, Shadowburn won't be available until less than a second before the enemy actually dies to something else, or they're healed above it. I don't pitch a fit at people for "stealing my Embers" or complain about how Shadowburn is a broken mechanic, though. Short of raising the threshold, there's nothing they can really do about it, and if they did raise it there'd still be people complaining that it doesn't activate quickly enough. These are just realities of playing an MMORPG.
    The same happens to Execute and Shadow Word: Death, and presumably Kill Shot. But, there is something very different going on this expansion with it all - in the past I feel like it would refresh much faster - where as now things die over the course of seconds with execute-effects even lighting up. For add fights I sometimes take the Shadow Word: Death glyph in PvE just so that I can actually use my execute before the thing is dead - since it's so critical to Shadow's resource generation.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The problem is that when fear doesn't break on damage like it should (which DOES happen and more often than you'd think), it is flat out game breaking. I would say that's 99% of the source of QQ we've been hearing this expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that when fear doesn't break on damage like it should (which DOES happen and more often than you'd think), it is flat out game breaking. I would say that's 99% of the source of QQ we've been hearing this expansion.
    99% of ALL QQ this expansion is Fear? O.O No.

I personally account for more than 1% of all QQ this expansion And fear is only like...5-10% of what's QQ-worthy so far in MoP. In 5.0 the Warrior / KFC QQ was so loud that nobody could even hear the QQ about spriests and mages - and even the rogues couldn't cry loud enough to get heard in 5.0. In 5.1, Shatreeplay (God Comp) was a colossal amount of the QQ. In 5.2 it's Thugcleave - between those three teams in those patches alone we can account for like... 80% of all MoP PvP QQ. Then we have to fit in Gorefiend->Solar->Ursol QQ, general Mage QQ, DK QQ, and Fear QQ into that last ~20%.

Something's obviously not right with fear sometimes, but it's a footnote in how dissapointing and frustrating MoP arenas/rbgs has been.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    99% of ALL QQ this expansion is Fear? O.O No.
    I meant that 99% of all QQ ABOUT fear is based on it not breaking on an absurd amount of damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Would rather see fear more powerful, longer cd and removed horrify effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    How I think fears should work:

Warrior:
    -Intimidating Shout: Breaks instantly upon single target damage, breaks after 2% health is inflicted by AoE/dots (thunder clap/deep wounds)

Priest:
    -Psychic Scream: Breaks after 25% health is lost
    -Psyfiend: Breaks after 10% health is lost
    -Shadow fear upon dispel: Never breaks
    -Psychic Horror: Breaks after 15% health is lost

Warlock:
    -Fear: Breaks after 15% health is lost
    -Blood Fear: Breaks after 25% health is lost
    -Mortal Coil: Never breaks

One way or the other, fears need to be overhauled. Not nerfed or buffed, just made easier to understand and work around.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, come off it. You obviously saw the phrase "game breaking" when it was used properly and decided it fits your complaint, but it's nowhere near accurate. I think Yvaelle's right, that there's something buggy with all effects that are supposed to activate/break at a certain point in MoP, and I have a few ideas on what might cause Fear to break far too late or not at all, but it's hard for me to explain them coherently. If there weren't other methods to break Fear (I understand that some of these may be situationally unavailable or undesirable to use), and if this were proven to be happening almost all the time (something like upwards of 75% of the time), I could see calling it "game breaking". But the truth is, we don't know how often it's occurring, because a lot of people aren't reporting when it happens to them, and next to nobody reports when it breaks on damage.

It's enough to say that, along with other effects that may be affected by server latency, Fear may be experiencing problems right now. If the alternative is removing all Fear effects because they're "broken", the solution is worse than the problem and I'm afraid it's something we're just going to have to deal with.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post

Warrior:
    -Intimidating Shout: Breaks instantly upon single target damage, breaks after 2% health is inflicted by AoE/dots (thunder clap/deep wounds)

Priest:

Warlock:

One way or the other, fears need to be overhauled. Not nerfed or buffed, just made easier to understand and work around.
    Quick question: Why should an AoE fear effect with no cast time require more % to break than a single-target effect with a cast time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post

Warrior:

Priest:

Warlock:

Mortal Coil, Psychic Horror, Sin and Punishment are horrors, not fears.
    Blood fear is now Blood Horror, which is again, not a fear. Horror effects don't break on damage.

Also, you are missing Howl of Terror...

10+ Year Old Account
    it's fun to fear rocket boosted rogue away
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Fear needs to break on damage more.

There should never been a time where you can go from 100% - 40% in one fear without it breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    If all CC wiped dots, and no CC broke on damage - DoT classes would be at a game-breaking disadvantage. A rogue (most non-feral melee, really) could empty their entire energy bar / good attacks into someone, then CC them and wait for their energy / good attacks to come off cooldown - then repeat. A frost mage would burst you, then CC you, wait for frost bomb to come back - then repeat.
    Good point.

Back to the drawing board

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Fear needs to break on damage more.

There should never been a time where you can go from 100% - 40% in one fear without it breaking.
    There shouldnt be ANY cc at all keeping you controlled long enough to empty your entire HP-bar or close to that.

Yeah, Im looking at you stuns and silences.

Ive been playing since TBC and fear is not even close to being the worst CC in this category.
    Last edited by mmocb47e9d5b09; 2013-05-07 at 03:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inahu View Post

Quick question: Why should an AoE fear effect with no cast time require more % to break than a single-target effect with a cast time?
    Because it has other flaws to offset those things, such as melee range(big one for a caster) and 30 second CD.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    Because it has other flaws to offset those things, such as melee range(big one for a caster) and 30 second CD.
    Not really a big one for a caster. It's used as a self-peel. So let me see... they said Psychic should break after 25% of my life? No way, rofl. I shouldn't die a 4th of the way because I was punching my target and he used his peel. Fear should just break on any non-dot damage. It's not like dot teams are prevalent right now anyway, Blizzard doesn't seem to like that anymore because of its PvE implications.

Edit: Also, they should find some way to have it detect a chaos bolt about to land or somthing, or make the chaos bolt fly faster. It's pretty dumb when my teammate can chaos bolt fear conflag chaos bolt and have the guy die from like 60% when he's got a full set of malv/tyrannical.

Other than that, I would say the problem from fear stems with how most classes work now, for instance... Devouring Plague and such are hard hits and if the priest is smart will drop it on you when you have scurried like 30 yards away and do his burst, so the fear breaks with you at like 75% and taking insanity to the face.
    Last edited by Valedus; 2013-05-07 at 04:57 PM.

Kind of a general reply to people in this thread:

1. Druids haven't had a Fear Immunity/Breaker since Berserk still granted Fear Immunity/Break. That change happened in the Cata pre-patch I believe. Even then only 1/3 Druid specs had the ability back then.

2. Druids can remove Hex since it's considered a curse (Poison+Curse baseline, +Magic as Resto). Wasn't aware that Paladins could remove curses as I thought they were just Poison+Disease (+Magic if Holy).

Was some other stuff but people already addressed them.