Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Blizzard allow 'account amnesty'?

Plain and simple, should Blizzard implement some form of account amnesty for banned accounts?

Obviously, if they did, there ought to be certain criteria.

-Have a different, active account with no offenses for 6+ months (prevents simply 'unbanning' an account. Person needs proof they are an active and responsible member of WoW community)
    -Must purchase up to current updates on old account, or 1-2 months gameplay (a 'Fine' effectively)
    EDIT: -Amnesty Account stripped of all gold and boe's, preventing duped item/gold to enter economy
    EDIT2: -Further infractions on an Amnesty Account results in freezing of entire battle.net account and all games associated (?)

Sometimes people do stupid stuff. It happens. In the real world, we have a legal system that allows people to own up and make reparations.

EDIT: Heck, monetize it further. Instead of "Recruit a Friend"... Get a friend to play wow for 2-3+ months, and get an old account opened.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-05-01 at 07:51 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    No, people should just stop breaking rules if they don't want to be banned

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunareste View Post
    No, people should just stop breaking rules if they don't want to be banned
    Not sure if you even read the post or not. Part of the criteria was, very specifically, not breaking the rules for an extended period of time.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'm with Luna. Dn't wanna get banned? Don't break the rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I'm with Luna. Dn't wanna get banned? Don't break the rules.
    O_o

...This isn't about how to prevent getting banned.

No, I do not want people who broke the rules enough to get banned to come back.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Don't they already have a system in place? The volcano or whatever the heck it is.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    O_o

...This isn't about how to prevent getting banned.
    Fine, let me reword it.

If you break rules and get banned, then you can stay banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see something like that working out. It is how MMOC works to a degree

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want to go back to your old account after 6 months after spending like 80$ on a new one?
    6 Months and you'd be right back where you started minus some rare mounts/achieves.

But I see what you mean, honestly I'd say no, it gives a really forceful reason for a person to not do banable offences, you lose something you care about.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I see nothing wrong with what the OP has to offer here. If anything blizzard profits from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No, I do not want people who broke the rules enough to get banned to come back.
    Again, it seemed you didn't read the post.
    The people are -already- playing. It's not like logging on a different character/account makes it a different person.

Maybe I should clarify. My account got banned back in ~2005. I was one of the many unlucky people who were using Wine at the time, and got banned for it. Blizzard has made it very clear that they 'dont make mistakes' on that. I've long since given up, but I figured people might have ideas to bring to the fore. Of course, it could also be useful for people who actually did small infringements as well as simply Blizzard being stupid.

I didn't know Pete Rose played WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    But I see what you mean, honestly I'd say no, it gives a really forceful reason for a person to not do banable offences, you lose something you care about.
    It has my first characters, and some items that no longer exist anymore, mainly.

Everyone else suffers because most banned accounts are gold sellers/buyers and it would reintroduce their gold.
    Last edited by Uko; 2013-05-01 at 03:33 AM.

Too much effort on Blizzard's part. What about people that were banned for duping, or botting and gold selling? Should they be allowed their accounts back, with all their items or gold? Blizzard would have to go back, check each individual account and remove the offending items/gold, because I really don't see them reactivating banned accounts with everything intact.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    What about people that were banned for duping, or botting and gold selling?
    I do agree that there should be restrictions. Perhaps 'malicious' things like duping could be the line. or maybe just have their gold/duped items removed.

I imagine this might be on their radar, but they just don't want to bother with it. Further problems might come up because they'd get people whining "My friend got amnesty, why didn't I?" From there it'll turn into people metaphorically flinging flaming poo at Blizz because they feel "wronged" when in fact they were the ones in the wrong. I can definitely see it becoming a huge headache that Blizz would probably be better off simply avoiding in the first place.

Yes, people do stupid stuff, but unlike real life, WoW is a game. If you screw up in WoW, you've still got options for gaming. If you feel WoW is your only option, you'd damn well better tow the line and take responsibility for what you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It has my first characters, and some items that no longer exist anymore, mainly.
    I figured this was your angle.

Don't know what you did to get banned, but you knew what the consequences of your actions would be. Either you thought you wouldn't get caught, or now you're regretting that you did and want your old stuff back.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for you; deal with the consequences of rule-breaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunareste View Post
    Sorry, I don't have sympathy for you; deal with the consequences of rule-breaking.
    Read my above post.