Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I do agree that there should be restrictions. Perhaps 'malicious' things like duping could be the line. or maybe just have their gold/duped items removed.
    Pretty sure anything that results in a perm ban can be considered malicious whether it is a series of infractions that builds up to a perm ban or something so egregious it gets you a perm ban right off the bat. We don't need these people reintroduced back into our community as they were removed for a reason.

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 02:45 AM ----------

Read my above post.
    Maybe you should take your own advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Time served + a direct fine (not just having to buy the expansions, since you would have to do that anyway) for breaking the rules and getting banned sounds reasonable to me. It's a fitting punishment.

Just to add some to your idea, perhaps the time required of having no infractions and the fee could be based on the severity of the crime that brought the ban about. Permanent bans for something small like bad language could be 3 months of a clean record and let's say $15. Exploiting game weaknesses without the use of programs would be 6 months and $25. Botting for leveling purposes would be 1 year and $40. Anything more severe than that, like straight up hacking, botting for farming, account selling.. etc., and the account is no longer able to be brought back from purgatory.

Upon restoration, every item you have is bound to your character and all gold is wiped.

The restoration option could also have a required time of having another active account tied to the same battle.net account as well. Something like, you would need an active, up to date account with no strikes against it for 2 years, just to have the option to begin your restoration on the banned account, which is when it begins to officially track your good standing for the time required for the account restoration.

I get what you're going for, and it should be an option in some form. This is more than just simply paying your way out of trouble, this is time served.

Even murderers and rapists eventually get a second chance, and those people are way worse than anyone that's ever cheated in a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Just say it, you want to be put above the rules and be able to buy your old account back.
    You keep saying 'above the rules'. Again, as if I have some desire to subvert Blizzards rules. The entire point would be to have Blizzard consider changing the rules (in their favor to make more money, of course).

Above the rules? No. A change in rules? Yes.

I see the ban (1 year) + fees as an acceptable punishment, considering most things don't damage the game/community. Again, I'm restating (since some people are only reading first/last post, and not the thread). Botting, Duping, Language... Are all things that are fixed by that time. Language, obviously if they have no infractions, aren't doing it anymore. Botting/Duping.. Items removed. No economic problem there either.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post

Even murderers and rapists eventually get a second chance, and those people are way worse than anyone that's ever cheated in a video game.
    Bullshit comparison for multiple reasons but when you get permabanned you already had your usually third or fourth chance. That is more than enough and you still have the option at any time to get a new account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    When you get permabanned you already had your usually third or fourth chance.
    Actually, most permabans are zero tolerance situations. They're much more common than 3-4 time offenders.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'm curious. Why would a gold farmer/botter, who has not done either of that on a new account for a year+, suddenly start doing that again on the old amnesty account? The people who broke the rules would -already- be back in the game. If they were planning on doing bad things, they'd already be doing it. Not waiting for an old account to use.
    They felt compelled to break the rules the first time, who is to say they wouldn't feel compelled to do it again?

Deleted
    You got caught, you broke the ELUA, tough titties, enjoy your perma-ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    They felt compelled to break the rules the first time, who is to say they wouldn't feel compelled to do it again?
    If they feel compelled to do it again, they will regardless of resurrecting an old account or not.

Plain and simple, should Blizzard implement some form of account amnesty for banned accounts?

Obviously, if they did, there ought to be certain criteria.

-Have a different, active account with no offenses for 6+ months (prevents simply 'unbanning' an account. Person needs proof they are an active and responsible member of WoW community)
    -Must purchase up to current updates on old account, or 1-2 months gameplay (a 'Fine' effectively)
    EDIT: -Amnesty account stripped of all gold and boe's, preventing duped item/gold to enter economy

Sometimes people do stupid stuff. It happens. In the real world, we have a legal system that allows people to own up and make reparations.

EDIT: Heck, monetize it further. Instead of "Recruit a Friend"... Get a friend to play wow for 2-3+ months, and get an old account opened.
    I would support this.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Actually, most permabans are zero tolerance situations.
    Yeah right of course. You don't even get perma banned for botting the first time.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say no, they should not have an account amnesty as the players were warned before hand not to cheat and they did anyways. The penalty was losing that account permanently. There is also a penalty volcano for most things where they had to work their way up to the top to lose their accounts. If they didn't learn, then no, they should not have that account back. Another part of the penalty is that if they wish to continue playing, they have to buy an all new account.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep saying 'above the rules'. Again, as if I have some desire to subvert Blizzards rules. The entire point would be to have Blizzard consider changing the rules (in their favor to make more money, of course).

Above the rules? No. A change in rules? Yes.

I see the ban (1 year) + fees as an acceptable punishment, considering most things don't damage the game/community. Again, I'm restating (since some people are only reading first/last post, and not the thread). Botting, Duping, Language... Are all things that are fixed by that time. Language, obviously if they have no infractions, aren't doing it anymore. Botting/Duping.. Items removed. No economic problem there either.
    Look... whether you intended to subvert the rules to earn your ban in the first place is no longer the point, you DID break the rules you and got banned.... you ARE attempting to subvert them NOW to get that account back... regardless of your professed desire and your claim that you are good, etc... its been enumerated countless times in this thread why its a bad idea and you continue.

There IS in fact a way to get your account back and you willfully refuse to avail yourself of that avenue, Why? Are you too good for following the rules. Wait, isnt' that what got you banned in the first place, not following the rules, so you want to subvert them again...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll quit if this game turns into a Lindsay Lohan amnesty program

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Yeah right of course. You don't even get perma banned for botting the first time.
    I actually know several people who used wowglider, and they were definitely permabanned the first time.

My bad, I thought people were smarter than that. Wine is just a windows emulator for unix, which I was using at the time. Super malicious.

That's the thing though. If such a system were implemented... Those people are ALREADY playing the game. It wouldnt allow anyone new to return. Maybe I didn't make it clear.

People who had previously been banned, would need to have an active, paid separate account for a period of time (6-12 months? 24?) to even be considered. They are already playing the game currently, and have been. This is not something to let banned players 'back into the game'
    So now you are insulting people who disagree with you instead of accusing them of not reading your posts? Mods I think it is time to lock this one up.

If they feel compelled to do it again, they will regardless of resurrecting an old account or not.
    But they are more likely to do it if they know they can get the banned account back anytime they want just by having a clean account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    But they are more likely to do it if they know they can get the banned account back anytime they want just by having a clean account.
    I wouldn't exactly call waiting a year 'getting an account back any time'

And, obviously, I imagine the amnesty system could only be used once per battle.net account.

I actually know several people who used wowglider, and they were definitely permabanned the first time.
    And I know of enough people using fishing bots, hb and what not who didn't. Doesn't matter anyways as neither of them deserve to get anything back.

There's a difference, I feel, between "appealing" which is usually pointing out that Blizzard made a mistake, or something out of your control (i.e. someone at the house was using your account), vs "Paying your dues". More of a method to prove that you've done your part to ensure it won't happen again, and are willing to make reparations.
    Just so you are aware the excuse of "someone else was using my account" isn't grounds for unbanning a player. In fact Blizzard has a history of saying "too bad" in these cases. It is only in extremely rare cases where this might get a ban overturned but for the most part if you allow your account to be accessed by others whether on purpose or whatever Blizzard still considers it a Tos violation just the same. OP it looks like most of your opinions on this issue are based on a lot of ignorance and false information so you may want to spend a little time in the customer support forums.

I see no need to change the ban rules - they should remain KISS.

Just my personal opinion.

/Z