Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    People already buy new accounts and start cheating, harassing, hacking and what not. There is no reason to let them on top of that have their old accounts back unless you are supportive of that behavior.
    I'm not sure I understand your logic. If they buy new accounts to do all that, they would be ineligible anyway.

Anyone doing any activity like that within the time period (say, a year), would not be allowed to do such. I don't know how to explain that any better.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your logic. If they buy new accounts to do all that, they would be ineligible anyway.

Anyone doing any activity like that within the time period (say, a year), would not be allowed to do such. I don't know how to explain that any better.
    I explain it a bit simpler for you. Keep one account clean for Blizzard, scum around on another, profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    I explain it a bit simpler for you. Keep one account clean for Blizzard, scum around on another, profit.
    But.. again. That wouldn't work. Unless they were on separate battle.net accounts. Which would make the botting/whatever account banned, and ineligible for any use for a year. Even if you later merged them, you'd have to wait at least a year to get it unbanned.

Another stipulation would be that the two accounts would need to be on the same battle.net account for that same period of time.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

If its of any interest chazus , have you thought about calling them directly blizzard do have this on their site , and if their terms of using wine have been relaxed you might have a leg to stand on .

Though our games are often playable on a lot of unsupported hardware and software configurations, these same setups will often block the system survey from completing its job. Some of the unsupported hardware and software that can issues with our system survey include:

Unlawfully obtained operating systems (pirated copies)
    User-modified Mac operating systems running non-standard hardware
    Unsupported operating systems such as Linux or AmigaDOS
    If you are unable to connect to our game during a system survey period due to unsupported hardware or software, you will either need to temporarily play on a supported system or wait until the survey period is over to resume playing. System surveys typically last for about a week, but may run for a shorter or longer time.

With regards to the general Unbanning of a permanent ban , it seems self defeating to call it a Permanent ban if they allow buybacks of some sort perhaps a better concept would have been for them to state a minimum term say 3 years after all , here in the UK we call call a life sentance 25 years .

In the true exploit / breach of blizzard ToU it leaves as much of a bad taste in my mouth as people who can afford topflight lawyers to avoid jail sentences.

did you ever call blizzard on this , I once had to do so when i'd damage my phone and lost my cd key for wow and without an authenticator my account was locked
    ( this was before their automated system for this) while the wait was very long its worth a shot surely.

Plain and simple, should Blizzard implement some form of account amnesty for banned accounts?
    Okay. Let me ask related questions. Who will police these individuals to ensure they toll the line during their amnesty period?

Will it be people? If so, who will pay them? Blizzards? Meaning us. Are you willing to let part of your subscriptions be used to pay for these GMs to monitor these previous offenders?

Will it be software? If so, who will pay for its development? Blizzards? Meaning us. Are you willing to let part of your subscriptions be used to pay for the development of software to monitor previous offenders rather than new contents?

My bad, I thought people were smarter than that. Wine is just a windows emulator for unix, which I was using at the time. Super malicious.

That's the thing though. If such a system were implemented... Those people are ALREADY playing the game. It wouldnt allow anyone new to return. Maybe I didn't make it clear.

People who had previously been banned, would need to have an active, paid separate account for a period of time (6-12 months? 24?) to even be considered. They are already playing the game currently, and have been. This is not something to let banned players 'back into the game'
    But it sets the consequences for the banned person. Banned person can play again, but he/she will never get their items/characters/gold/everything back. That is the consequences. Your idea ruins the consequences forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do admit, a person COULD, in theory, go "I can do whatever I want and get banned, wait a year, spend more money, and get unbanned a single time" but that seems a bit.... That's a lot of work just to cheat one single time.
    But it's not a single time -- and it may not necessarily be cheating that got them banned.

It's ridiculous to assume that a person is instantly banned the first time they do something wrong. Instead, it usually happens after several people have reported them for doing it several times. (Unless it's something really major, and a GM catches you.)

So instead of it being "a lot of work just to cheat one single time", it would be more accurate to say, "you can climb your way up the penalty volcano with peace of mind, knowing that if you ever reach the top, you can buy your 'freedom'".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm really surprised at the amount of people who don't agree with this idea.

MMOC works this very way. Bans start small and slowly add up. You can get permabanned but people have returned from that by demonstrating they're willing to follow the rules. Even our system allows for that without permabans...if you start behaving your infractions expire and you chance of being banned drops.

I'd like to see something like this added into the system. I'd like to see people who have made mistakes, who have been children or immature, learn from those and become good members of the community. There is no reason to throw anyone away for good.
    There is a difference here. MMOC isn't a game, much less a competitive game, nor it involves money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So? Even murder won't get you locked up for the rest of your life in most cases.
    Because jail is enough punishment, when long term. Small term? It doesn't really change one person.

But I'm not truly against revoking permabans. A better appeal system is the solution, not the one that the OP presented. Botting should be forbidden from appealing, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm really surprised at the amount of people who don't agree with this idea.

MMOC works this very way. Bans start small and slowly add up. You can get permabanned but people have returned from that by demonstrating they're willing to follow the rules. Even our system allows for that without permabans...if you start behaving your infractions expire and you chance of being banned drops.

I'd like to see something like this added into the system. I'd like to see people who have made mistakes, who have been children or immature, learn from those and become good members of the community. There is no reason to throw anyone away for good.
    MMOC is a public forum that offers free accounts to its users, though. Aside from the fact that creating a new account is literally not even a hurdle to someone who is banned, MMOC does have permanent bans too, am I right? It makes sense to have a points system, because the opposite - having permanent bans - just encourages ban evasion. And while I understand ban evasion is against the rules, having been involved in a few forums in my life, I understand that it's almost impossible to enforce it 100%; you basically wait for someone to slip up.

Furthermore, people who are banned from MMOC are banned almost exclusively for breaking social rules: being abusive to other users, trolling, spamming, things of that nature. And while WoW bans for those things too, those are almost never the permanent bans. The permanent bans are more for things like cheating, or abusing a bug, or botting - things that damage the game as a whole. These are things that separate a game like WoW and a forum like MMO-Champion.

While it is true that people who make minor mistakes - like, as you said, being children, or immature - deserve a second chance, those people are probably a very very very tiny minority of those who are permanently banned from WoW - and those that are have had far more than one chance at redemption. The overwhelming majority of those permanently banned are people who damage the game for other paying customers. Those individuals deserve no second chance.
    Last edited by Atrea; 2013-05-02 at 12:38 AM.

Deleted
    if your banned your banned for a reason and you not be unbanned i think the OP has been banned for botting or something and wonders why he cant use his account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    if your banned your banned for a reason and you not be unbanned i think the OP has been banned for botting or something and wonders why he cant use his account
    OP claims he was banned for using WoW on WINE (a Windows 'emulator' - though don't let its fans catch you calling it that!) and was banned for it.
    There was a time when many players were banned for this, but, as the OP also indicated later, the bulk of them were unbanned.

The fact that Blizzard has refused to unban his account, however, is a good indicator that his story may not be the whole truth.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    No. People need to accept responsibility for their actions. No amnesty - ever!
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Depends on the crime. If it's something like you got banned because you bought something from a hacker and didn't know he was a hacker, then yes. If you're botting, then no way. In a prior guild we had a guy that ever other week would get banned for botting, literally. He'd hop on an alt and the raid team would have to carry him through normal DS to gear him up quickly for the heroics, because his other char got banned. People like that need to have all their toons deleted to keep them away for good.

I could maybe see a three-strike policy even for things like botting (which don't have it if I'm not mistaken, it's auto permaban), just because you sometimes get clueless people that don't want to deal with leveling boring-ass Fishing or Archaeology and will bot that, but then you have the speed hackers and the actual botters who play the AH and those people need to be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Instead of finding ways for people to get unbanned, I'd rather they start handing out bans for more things :x

WoW desperately needs some moderation of some sort.
    Oh, because people should get banned for "hurting someones little feelings?" Laughable. If you cannot handle some digital harassment from some random person you have never met, you don't belong on the internet.