What should I upgrade (25man)?

Hello everyone,

Below are my PC specs. What should I upgrade to ensure a smoother 25man experience? Note that I am unable to afford a new graphic cards. Is there anything else I can upgrade to up the performance? This is my pc:

Motherboard: Dell 0T568R
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Intel Core i7 CPU 860@2.80Ghz
    HDD: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 x2
    RAM: 2048MB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) SDRAM x4 (8GB total)
    PSU: I'm 99.9% sure I have 600Watt of a proper brand, as I upgraded this last year I think, but I can't find the box nor do I have the energy to break open my case right now... But yeah, assume 600W of a decent brand.

I bought this pc a couple of years back and upgraded here and there. Original components are the mobo, cpu, harddisks and ram. I have upgraded GPU and PSU since, as well as have a new case as the old one was really small.

Thanks for your help!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Hello everyone,

Below are my PC specs. What should I upgrade to ensure a smoother 25man experience? Note that I am unable to afford a new graphic cards. Is there anything else I can upgrade to up the performance? This is my pc:

Motherboard: Dell 0T568R
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Intel Core i7 CPU 860@2.80Ghz
    HDD: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 x2
    RAM: 2048MB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) SDRAM x4 (8GB total)
    PSU: I'm 99.9% sure I have 600Watt of a proper brand, as I upgraded this last year I think, but I can't find the box nor do I have the energy to break open my case right now... But yeah, assume 600W of a decent brand.

I bought this pc a couple of years back and upgraded here and there. Original components are the mobo, cpu, harddisks and ram. I have upgraded GPU and PSU since, as well as have a new case as the old one was really small.

Thanks for your help!
    The i series 860 is an i5 rather than an i7 afaik. I have a worse computer than you do and have no problems running 25man with close to maxed out graphics. Are you experiencing any performance issues at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    The i series 860 is an i5 rather than an i7 afaik. I have a worse computer than you do and have no problems running 25man with close to maxed out graphics. Are you experiencing any performance issues at the moment?
    No the 860 is an i7 for socket 1156.

Is there an option to overclock with your current motherboard? Sometimes Dell likes to limit such features.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Overclocking the processor is only low-cost change you can do. If it's not an option then you're in for notably more expensive upgrading of motherboard+cpu.

Also, what kind of performance you're seeing now in raids, and what you'd like it to be instead? Maybe there's something wrong with your computer that could be fixable without buying anything new.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Hello,

Yes, I have performance issues in 25. They're not THAT severe, but severe enough for me to want to upgrade.

I have been able to overclock my old GPU, if that's any indication on the limitations, but other than that I can't be sure...

Thanks for your time!

I'm okay with spending like ~200 euro or so, I guess. My performance varies wildly per boss, having a slideshow Lei Shen last phase and Megaera during adds to 30-40 fps on other bosses. Edit: no, 40 fps is exaggerated. 30 tops.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-05-01 at 11:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a heat sink like the Cooler Master 212 EVO and overclock your CPU. You should overclock your 560 ti slightly aswell.

560 Ti (Overclocking Guide)
    1156 i5/i7 (Overclocking Guide)
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If it's not an option then you're in for notably more expensive upgrading of motherboard+cpu.
    Just adding to this, there is a chance that the version of Windows you are running are tied to your motherboard.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Get a heat sink like the Cooler Master 212 EVO and overclock your CPU. You should overclock your 560 ti slightly aswell.

560 Ti (Overclocking Guide)
    1156 i5/i7 (Overclocking Guide)
    While I'm confident I can do it, eventually, getting my cpu out and applying thermal paste was probably one of the worst thing I ever did, I don't know who designed this CPU but it was really an extremely tedious job with the clips and shit. My cpu tends to get rather warm already so a new heatsink is an absolute necessity to overclock I suppose. I'll definitely look into it and I'll probably end up doing as you say even though I'm not looking forward to it. xD Last time I did it I was getting desperate about ever plugging my cpu back in correctly, one of the clips is a bit fucked...

Anyway. Nocturnal, thanks for bringing that up, is there any way to check if my windows is tied to the mobo? It probably is though, it'd make sense, but still...

Yes, I have performance issues in 25. They're not THAT severe, but severe enough for me to want to upgrade.
    Considered putting video settings lower? Tried putting both vsync and triple buffering ON (leaving one off and one on will occasionally cut fps to half of what it should be)? Tried running with less addons (Recount and DeathNote are the worst fps killers on low spec machines)? You have video drivers up to date?

Anyway. Nocturnal, thanks for bringing that up, is there any way to check if my windows is tied to the mobo? It probably is though, it'd make sense, but still...
    Dell's OEM Windows should work universally (and unofficially) on anything, but there are no guarantees it will after you swap the motherboard.

Also overclocking is usually disabled on big brands like Dell, HP etc so it might not even be an option for you.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-05-01 at 11:20 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Considered putting video settings lower? Tried putting both vsync and triple buffering ON (leaving one off and one on will occasionally cut fps to half of what it should be)? Tried running with less addons (Recount and DeathNote are the worst fps killers on low spec machines)? You have video drivers up to date?
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried putting settings lower, fiddled around with all the options. It improved my hero fps but that's about it unfortunately. I'll try triple buffering+vsync tonight - i have no fps issues in lfr, it's only in our mainraids (since well, more abilities and 25 people who're actually playing, I suppose). Also, yes, all drivers are up to date (updated them 2 days ago actually). I have turned off a LOT of addons already, and though it helped my performance somewhat, it's nothing gamebreaking (or should I say gamefixing?). That said, I simply need my custom UI to perform. I could go back to vanilla UI and perform too, but I really don't want to.

Dell's OEM Windows should work universally (and unofficially) on anything, but there are no guarantees it will after you swap the motherboard.

Also overclocking is usually disabled on big brands like Dell, HP etc so it might not even be an option for you.
    Well, that'd pretty much mean I should get a new mobo, shouldn't I? Do you think a new mobo, aside from allowing a lot more freedom with overclocks, would increase my performance?

Furthermore, a friend pointed out I should consider a SSD. He says it helped his performance quite a lot. Do you think this is a good idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    SSD will help load times. Like faster spell/players/buildings appearing on screen. It wont increase your framerate.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)