1. #1

    Question about Horridon Normal/HC

    Lets say I cast combustion on one of the adds in Horridon (with , say, a tick of 30K non-crit). Now if Horridon has 3 cracked shell debuffs (i.e. takes 250% normal damage) and I spread combustion from the add to Horridon, will the combustion ticks on him be 30K or 75K?

  2. #2
    Dreadlord nimryas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    806
    The dmg from the same combustion spread to horridon would be higher yes, but the best tactic is to spread for horridon since you can get bigger ignites on horridon and therefore higher combustions and spread that to adds. This way all targets will get the superduper high combustion dmg

    Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

  3. #3
    The only problem, I assume you ask this for Heroic Horridon.
    Is that your strat has to involve tanking the adds under/close enough to the boss to allow this to happen, but if you do, then yes, especially on the later and harder gates, you as a fire mage can absolutely RAVAGE the adds with Combustion.
    Hakushi - Main Shaman - 587 Enh/573 Ele 8/8 HM DS (5% Nerf Spine/Madness), 7/7 HM FL, 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 14/14 HM SoO
    Oxyra - Semi-Main DK - 570 Blood 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 4/14 HM SoO
    Raiding with Fused - Illidan

  4. #4
    Its kind of a silly thing on heroic horridon. I always use combustion on the boss and try to spread it to the adds (doesn't always happen). That is okay to do because the final burn you don't want to start horridon around 95% health. That is a long burn and will get increasingly difficult for your tanks to take triple puncture. Combustion on the adds is wonderful, but shouldn't be needed. If it is needed your group is already going to have issues during the final burn.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyreth View Post
    Its kind of a silly thing on heroic horridon. I always use combustion on the boss and try to spread it to the adds (doesn't always happen). That is okay to do because the final burn you don't want to start horridon around 95% health. That is a long burn and will get increasingly difficult for your tanks to take triple puncture. Combustion on the adds is wonderful, but shouldn't be needed. If it is needed your group is already going to have issues during the final burn.
    Yeah currently I am using combustion on adds in Horridon HC, and it is really helping getting the adds down. For some reason, whenever I use combustion on Horridon and try to cleave, I never manage to hit any adds, even though they don't seem to be very far away from the boss. Also in last phase when Jalak comes down, I tried getting a super high combustion on Horridon adn spreading it to Jalak, but Jalak never got affected, even though he was standing adjacent to Horridon (although not on top of him of course)

  6. #6
    Its the sad reality when it comes to large hit boxes. Even if you don't get to spread combustion to the adds its still not a deal breaker when it comes to choice of combustion target. Its more effective for you to do it on horridon and try to spread in any scenario. If your group is having issues with killing adds on doors that will still exist even if you spread combustion from adds. This is mostly because the adds do not have enough health to reliably get a good combustion. Jalak almost has to be inside horridon for it to spread.

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Saegno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Ks
    Posts
    1,013
    Speaking of H Horridon, does anyone have any tips on handling the dino spirits?
    So far I have just been /focus-ing the spirit when I get one and using a /cast [@focus] Nether Tempest macro when he gets close. I'll chuck 3-4 at him to push it back but it seems like by the time I start to get some real dps time on the adds he is back on my ass again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

  8. #8
    I use this for Direhorn Spirit:

    #showtooltip
    /tar Direhorn Spirit
    /cast Mage Bomb
    /targetlasttarget

    I hate them with all my heart...

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral Saegno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Ks
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Muliercula View Post
    I use this for Direhorn Spirit:

    #showtooltip
    /tar Direhorn Spirit
    /cast Mage Bomb
    /targetlasttarget

    I hate them with all my heart...
    I hear ya. I've considered going frost just for this fight so I have my ele just sit on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral Rinoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an igloo.
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    I hear ya. I've considered going frost just for this fight so I have my ele just sit on it.
    It's much more efficient to run Blazing Speed on this fight (I use BS on everything) and just Blink+BS a long distance while throwing out a Scorch. This lets you largely ignore the Direhorn and not spend a single global on hitting it the entire fight - which would have been wasted damage.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    The dmg from the same combustion spread to horridon would be higher yes, but the best tactic is to spread for horridon since you can get bigger ignites on horridon and therefore higher combustions and spread that to adds. This way all targets will get the superduper high combustion dmg

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    The only problem, I assume you ask this for Heroic Horridon.
    Is that your strat has to involve tanking the adds under/close enough to the boss to allow this to happen, but if you do, then yes, especially on the later and harder gates, you as a fire mage can absolutely RAVAGE the adds with Combustion.


    Thoses two quotes are just totally and purely wrong. On so many levels.

    Blizzard "nerfed" the way damage amplified target spreading works since Garalon. Now everytime you spread a dot from a target with damage multiplier, the new spreaded target receive damage recalculated for itself.
    It was made to avoid fire mage and rogues to do insane damage by spreading from Garalon's legs, same thing for Mal'jarak Heoric with his famous 600% damage taken increase.

    If you have a target with double damage taken, you can cast a nice combustion on him, but if you spread it to a target with normal damage taken modifier, combustion's ticking value will be reduced by half to it.


    Comnig back to the subject; on H:Horridon, it's better to combust adds and clean the room quickly than combust Horridon itself; of course if fight is on farm and you want to top meters, obviously combust on Horridon

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral spaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,112
    How can I simplify it...


    The CHANCE of getting an overall bigger result with combustion (thanks to scaling) is to hit it on Horridon, then cleave it to adds.

    BUT, since most strats(hm) don't involve the MT tanking all the adds and horridon, then your best use of combustion is on every double major add spawn.


    So they are both right.


    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    I hear ya. I've considered going frost just for this fight so I have my ele just sit on it.
    This!

    But for the last phase.. only damage is from Dire call.. just kite the fuck out of that pink dino from hell, since scorch isn't that bad compared to fireball.. and a "waste" of gcd to knock back your friend.., and blow a CD every 1 min. (you can alternate GI and IB for the last 3, win win.)
    Last edited by spaace; 2013-05-09 at 05:27 PM.
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream

  13. #13
    Id have to agree with people saying use combustion on the dual adds and dinomancer. Unless you run a strat where you tank the adds directly under the boss, and note i mean directly under the boss, making it impossible for other people to target anything other than horridon.
    Because horridon got such a big hit box, it is very very hard to spread from him, but really easy to spread to him.


    As for the Direhorn. I went frost for our progress and first kill, and fire for out 2end kill. The thing with the direhorn knock back is that you can not knock it back if it is already mid air, So if you just spam your direhorn macro(with NT i assume) or spam scorch, only half of your casts will actually knock the direhorn back.
    What you wanna do is use macro/scorch, then cast 1 spell on horridon/adds w.e and then macro again, alternating your casts on direhorn and current target. This way you dont waste GCD's trying to knock back the direhorn when its mid air.
    Last edited by stX3; 2013-05-09 at 10:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Damn we really need an inferno blast glyph buff, spread it for at least 3 targets!

  15. #15
    If you're still progressing or having problem with adds DPS you should probably blow your combustion on adds (just make sure you start pyro chain on full hp add lol!) but you also have to calculate the increased pyroblast dmg on horridon if you just wanna know what does more damage.

  16. #16
    Hey. We finally started Heroic Progress on Horridon last night (had a dodgy month getting our full team together and teaching people to dodge the lightning -_-) but we seemed to be having some pretty major problems with the adds just not dying, like, we will have reached the next door and some of the adds from the previous door may still be up.
    Additionally, I was majorly suffering with getting the chance to actually evocate, as in I think 6 of our 8 attempts, I got the first fixation >_<

    worldoflogs. com /reports/rt-lv5ol1oc0fof5jy7/

    Anyone able to have a brief look at our logs and offer a few pointers?

    (before it's mentioned, I did die in one pull to a Horridon double swipe, no idea what was going on there, I think I just misblinked away from a sandtrap or something...)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennac View Post
    Hey. We finally started Heroic Progress on Horridon last night (had a dodgy month getting our full team together and teaching people to dodge the lightning -_-) but we seemed to be having some pretty major problems with the adds just not dying, like, we will have reached the next door and some of the adds from the previous door may still be up.
    Additionally, I was majorly suffering with getting the chance to actually evocate, as in I think 6 of our 8 attempts, I got the first fixation >_<

    worldoflogs. com /reports/rt-lv5ol1oc0fof5jy7/

    Anyone able to have a brief look at our logs and offer a few pointers?

    (before it's mentioned, I did die in one pull to a Horridon double swipe, no idea what was going on there, I think I just misblinked away from a sandtrap or something...)
    Sorry don't have time to look at logs now but a big part of horridon is just making sure people don't dps the boss at all when adds are out, so just check trough logs/skada and see how everyones' % boss damage looks like and I'm 100 % sure you will find 1 or 2 that is a bit to eager on the boss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •