Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Eating the horses that was easy. When we started eating each other that was ... YOU DON'T KNOW COLD!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Why would they eat the settlers? They actually knew how to acquire food and plan for a harsh winter
    There were several cannibalistic Native American tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    That's just what settlers say to justify killing people and taking their land though, after a cursory search I can't find any credible sources that prove this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    That's just what settlers say to justify killing people and taking their land though, after a cursory search I can't find any credible sources that prove this.
    The Anasazi seem to have practiced cannibalism. Anasazi

Keep looking, there were a couple others from the Miss. Valley and Gulf Coast areas that has evidence of it being practiced as well.

People still argue whether it was widespread or not amongst tribes, but it did happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was mostly being cheeky.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you didn't look very hard. Most of it was funerary/ritual cannibalism, as in warriors ate the flesh off those they slayed in battle. They didn't kill just to eat people.

What do you mean by cursory search? Because with how easy it was for me to find information the only thing I can guess is you look at the google main page and didn't actually type anything in. It wasn't common, but it was there.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    In before "Only in America"...
    While I really (really!) like to post that sentence, cannibalism is not so rare as people think and happens/happened nearly everywhere where the surrounding conditions don't leave much options to survive.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Similar story, different part to add:

In one case, a man killed, "salted," and began eating his pregnant wife. Both Percy and Capt. John Smith, the colony's most famous leader, documented the account in their writings. The man was later executed.

"One amongst the rest did kill his wife, powdered her, and had eaten part of her before it was known, for which he was executed, as he well deserved," Smith wrote. "Now whether she was better roasted, boiled or carbonado'd [barbecued], I know not, but of such a dish as powdered wife I never heard of."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...nnibalism.html

Cannibalism in Jamestown isn't exactly shocking. It's been a widely accepted theory for many years that Jamestown settlers turned to cannibalism. You gotta consider the circumstances, from 1609-1610 was called The Starving Time for a reason. It is a fact that people ate their horses, their pets and even their shoes. When you're desperate enough to eat your fucking shoes you're probably desperate enough to turn to cannibalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    While I really (really!) like to post that sentence, cannibalism is not so rare as people think and happens/happened nearly everywhere where the surrounding conditions don't leave much options to survive.
    I said that more as a joke because people like to say that, yet the US wasn't even a country yet. I just assumed someone would say it :P

I would normally suggest that it was the Native Americans in the area that ate the Jamestown settlers, bit I have seen documents from that time that suggest they turned on themselves.

In before "Only in America"...
    Hey now... back then it was Britain. Can't blame Americans for that one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Hey now... back then it was Britain. Can't blame Americans for that one!
    That's the joke! lol I had to explain it like 3 times in 3 pages lol