Deleted

Rythm and music in real life combat

I've been doing some research on martial arts and came across Capoeira. It was originally developed in Brazil by slaves who needed a way to defend themselves, but couldn't train real martial arts because it was too visible to the wardens. So they developed a martial arts that looked like a dance so they could practice that way.

do you think it's possible for an armed or unarmed combatant, whether in melee or at range, to adapt to the melody and tune of any song in such a way that they become a dangerous opponent both in melee and range?

Deleted
    Rhythm brings a pattern, the pattern brings predictability.

10+ Year Old Account
    The human mind is capable of many things. I'd say yes, considering the art of Brazilian Dance Fighting exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Capoeira is a super awesome martial art and is mesmerising to watch.

That said, I don't think it's a particular effective MA, primarily because it's been built around emphasising the "art" far more than the "martial." It's predictable and "showy" and would be easy for a knowledgeable opponent to take advantage of. That's not a criticism of it, that's just it's style. It has a lot of value, but "real life combat" is not one.

That's not to say you couldn't incorporate aspects of it into your fighting, or that you can't gain something from training in it, but if your goal is to win in a fight (either a real one or in a combat sport), it's a fairly bad choice.

(it's a movie so choreographed and totally unrealistic, but there is a really cool fight scene in The Protector that has a Tony Jaa vs Capoeira fight. It's worth Youtubing if you haven't seen it, just for the aesthetics of it)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Capoeira is a shit Martial art, it is pretty to watch but very impractical for fighting. Take up Krav maga instead.

Actually you're supposed to be arrhythmic with your combinations because it breaks a lot of patterns that trained people have in their muscle memory.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I wouldn't really advocate Capoeira as a practical martial art, and similarly I wouldn't recommend trying to fight in any sort of rhythmic style.

Capoeria for putting on a display, something basic and effective for actual fighting. So eh, pretty much what Rich said.

Fighting to music is imposing huge limitations on oneself, I'd say.