taking a wild guess..or a good guess...

how many flasks and buff potions would you say you would use throughout 1 expansion?

my total guess?

980 flasks

5000 buff flasks and if i were to add other stuff like mana pots health pots and stuff for fun? about 1k...your turn.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

~4 hours per raid, ~3 raids per week, ~12 flasks per week

Cataclysm released December 2010, MoP released October 2012 (actually September but I'm rounding it up because I like round numbers)
    So that's ~22 months of expansion, ~88 weeks

Subtract two months worth of various missed raids over the expansion cycle, 80 weeks

80 * 12 = 960 flasks

So something like that? Pretty close to what you guessed

Not a lot, I always forget I have them :S

Guild doesn't mind though
    FC: 2251-6711-5951

Prophet 60091, this is the flight number of our galactic sun

No idea, who cares?

But, to not be a complete douchebag and leave only that as a response i'm guessing i use about 1000 flasks, but 3000 buff food.

In TBC, very few, since the marks from Tier 5 and Tier 6 raids were so abundant, that everyone had their needs covered in full..
    In WotLK ~450 based on above calculaion, but half, since I'm alchemist.
    In Cata, zero as there was cauldrons, which my guild provided..
    In MoP, zero as I only raid LFR, so none is needed..

To be honest i'm not quite sure, when i'm on an alchemist alt probably 90% of the time when i'm not I otherwise usually completely forget so I'll go with a low number 100-200 with it decreasing since LRF was introduced. I do however use my food buffs nearly constantly.
    Kibblet Infectionate Serenades Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Taxiporte Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Shoctologist Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Pro Tip - You can go to the achievements tab in your armory, choose statistics, and view how many you have taken total and which one you use the most.
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci