Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Character Models - How far are they with them?

Hello!

First of all, I would like to appologize for making a brand new thread inquiring about this, but searches came up with little result. I left WoW when SWTOR was released, and has been playing SWTOR ever since. I do miss WoW however, but one of the major reasons for leaving, was the really outdated character models - I heard then that there were plans for putting them in, then some more news, and finally all the rumours died and no new character models...

Would anyone spend a moment bringing me up to speed on this?

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Liep View Post
    Hello!

First of all, I would like to appologize for making a brand new thread inquiring about this, but searches came up with little result. I left WoW when SWTOR was released, and has been playing SWTOR ever since. I do miss WoW however, but one of the major reasons for leaving, was the really outdated character models - I heard then that there were plans for putting them in, then some more news, and finally all the rumours died and no new character models...

Thank you very much
    From the sounds of things, they're only doing the original 8 races (so, not the TBC races, nor Cata races)

If I had to wager a guess, they'll likely be a thing next expansion.

There is no news or announcements about character models. If that is your reason for leaving then there is no reason to come back. People still ask and they still say they are being worked on.

I would go so far as to say if they don't officially announce models at blizzcon, then they won't be in for next xpac either.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    From the sounds of things, they're only doing the original 8 races (so, not the TBC races, nor Cata races)

If I had to wager a guess, they'll likely be a thing next expansion.
    Do you have a source on that? So far as I know there has been no official communication on it at all... A question was posed at the recent dev Q&A and GC essentially responded: "my boss told me don't you even think about thinking about talking about new character models."

Deleted
    TBC races were just last in line, no one ever said that they 'won't be doing them', also - we had a chance to see the models during the course of MoP. Now, that ain't happening from the looks of it, so I bet all my money that we'll be seeing ALL races (+tbc ones) in the next expansion, either at launch, or some major content patch following it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still say we see Human, Dwarf, Troll and Orc models out this expansion, with the 5.4 patch, and then the rest next expansion (with TBC races on).

They have said they'll potentially put them out as they are done, and not as a batch, so we might see with 5.4 a rollout, for the big boom at the end of the expansion? (In addition to unannounced feature)
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-05-02 at 08:39 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

If I could answer with a number, I would say three. Three.

Also, they are probably re-doing Blood Elves and Draenei because they are practically the same as the vanilla races. Worgen and Goblin are fine.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liep View Post
    Hello!

Thank you very much
    You don't ask for much then if you play SWTOR lol, one of most failed MMO's out there =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    think they got the dwarf one done

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on how they're playing with questions, I'd say they're close enough to have a reveal date decided on.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite far along I would imagine, something people have been demanding for a long time and they said Dwarf and another race is completed (I think?). Maybe next expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    They have said they'll potentially put them out as they are done, and not as a batch, so we might see with 5.4 a rollout, for the big boom at the end of the expansion? (In addition to unannounced feature)
    I remember reading that as well... but, man... can you imagine if they only release a couple (maybe Orcs and Humans). The nerd rage from people that play all of the other races will eclipse the sun!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well dwarves were done, or very nearly done, in time for Mists launch. So I'd say they have to be quite far along. The reason Blizz isn't talking our heads off about them is try and avoid unreasonable amounts of expectation, as is often the case with a much-discussed feature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    From the sounds of things, they're only doing the original 8 races (so, not the TBC races, nor Cata races).
    That's not really accurate... They are planning on updating the BC races too, they are just at the bottom of the priority list.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Based on how they're playing with questions, I'd say they're close enough to have a reveal date decided on.
    Blizzcon. There's really no reason to show us them any earlier or later than that, from their point of view anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Given that Blizzard has posted "Critical" job listings for Character Artists on their job listings:

3D Character Artist, Lead
    3D Character Artist

here is hoping.

My guess is that the Next xpac will offer new models for only four of the original 8 races (with the promise of the rest being released soon) <-aka the following expansion.

I think those 4 races will be Dwarf/Nightelf/Troll/undead though it is very likely that blizz will screw over the alliance by releasing only 3 new models and since they stated they thought dwarfs needed the most improvement the nightelfs will keep the big butterfingers and blank faces for another xpac.

I really hope orcs and humans makes it for 5.4, it'd look beautiful for a raid thats filled with orcs.

Also I'm really hoping for the special feature in 5.4, hopefully it makes all content worth something again , it would really make this game replayable, which would be a smart move just look at super Mario.

Edit: This may be redundant but I really hope 5.4, they won't be working on Zandalari models, mogu models, dinosaur models, etc, the actual models they need are the old races because their the main NPC's :/
    Last edited by Philosopino; 2013-05-02 at 06:12 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    That's not really accurate... They are planning on updating the BC races too, they are just at the bottom of the priority list.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 07:45 PM ----------

Blizzcon. There's really no reason to show us them any earlier or later than that, from their point of view anyway.
    That's been my assumption all along. The pet battles of Expansion V will be new models.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    That's been my assumption all along. The pet battles of Expansion V will be new models.
    The Pet battles were a massive succes, so this too then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Do you have a source on that? So far as I know there has been no official communication on it at all... A question was posed at the recent dev Q&A and GC essentially responded: "my boss told me don't you even think about thinking about talking about new character models."
    Draztal posted this back in December, now, the situation may have changed, but I haven't heard anything different since:

Actually... the development team is working on new character models for the vanilla races. Unfortunately, we don't have an estimate yet on when they'll be available.
    Source: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6160897264#9

It's pretty telling in the "Vanilla races" part. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm saying don't hold your breath.