Thread: Pinging

Pinging

I'm going to get this off my chest. I'm sure someone it classify this as "should be in rant thread" but I wanna make sure ppl will see it. Anjd I know someone will come in this thread to insult me, so don't bother. I'm posting this then forgetting it.

To the point:
    PINGING DOES NOT SAVE SOMEONE IN A FIGHT

I just played a game as GP top like I always do. Like usual the enemy top chooses Rumble. I have never lost against Rumble until now. Why? Cause my jungler pinged me. The ping caused me to look at my map to see if he was gankiing, which caused the Rumble to hit me with his slow. Someone I dodged for 10 mins until that ping. The result was Rumble killing me, getting first blood, and me not being able to regain control of my lane, and him zoning me.

Ofc the team blames me for the loss we had, and reports me. Even though they all would run in 1v3+ against the enemy team and die.

Since the new ping system was implemented I have seen an increase in people who think pings are magical. You run into a bush, 3 enemies are there. Suddenly someone on your team floods the screen with pings like a magical Ping Fairy will swoop down and save you. IT DOESNT! It just distracts the person youre pinging.

And another point I would like to mention. The MIA ping is not calling MIA. This game has had an infestation of people over pinging, or pinging for the hell of it. Resulting in most players ignoring pings until a certain time. It's easier and safer for someone to see you said MIA or SS in chat, it's easier to discern from the short sentence, and in a generalized spot easier to see at a glance. If someone doesn't look at the minimap right as you ping(i.e dodging skill shots, or getting cs) then they will miss it and have to read the long sentence in chat of the pinger, and what he pinged. This will result in missed cs, or being hit by skillshots.

Ok..I'm done. AS I said, I know some of you will come in here, read just to the sentence of my last game, then insult me. So I won't be returning to this thread.

Infracted. Don't just create a thread to rant then leave it. We already have a thread for that. - Axethor
    Last edited by Axethor; 2013-05-09 at 07:20 PM.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the issue is you just need to have that map awareness to get more practice. Also something I've learned from playing this game, ignore any insults thrown your way, don't even type back.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Pinging is a double edged sword. You get the people who will ping you to retreat when you're already moving your ass as swiftly away from 5 other people as possible. You'll get people who'll target that inhibitor turrent as you're all pushing mid lane anyway. Oh really, that's what you wanted? You wanted me to do what I'm already doing? Thanks! You get people who use the generic ping, and don't back it up with anything - even though now there are so many specific pings. Generic ping in bush, what are you saying? Someones there? There's a ward there? You want a ward there? You want to go there? Did you just misclick? Are you drunk? Who knows.

People can over ping for sure. Sometimes, pinging is just not helpful, especially either super vague pings, or pings that are on super obvious things people are already doing.

BUT, pings save my life over, and over and over. When used responsibly, MIA pings are far quicker to call than typing for me. I use the new pings efficiently and I think they are awesome. I find the different icons on the map far more useful than having to look over at chat and read "mia" and then trying to process in my brain, oh yeah, that Khazix is top lane, top lane is mia, okay.. than just hearing a sound, seeing a question mark on top lane, instant knowledge. It's far easier for a jungle to do the "on route to location" ping and everyone see a visual of where he is ganking, than for him to have to type "going blue and then I'm ganking bot lane". For me, having to read a sentence on chat is far more distracting, if it's something simple that can be given with a ping.

If a ping on the map made you lose your lane then unfortunately I think that's down to map awareness and getting used to pings. I mean, if you can lose your concentration enough to cause you to lose your lane from a single ping - how would having to read a chat message make it any better? You should always be looking at your map, regardless of pings. Looking at your map should not kill you - looking at your map should save you.

So yeah... it can be abused like anything. People should try to ping constructively, but to me, it's definitely a great communication tool, I really appreciate the new pings and would encourage people to keep practicing using - and getting used to hearing/seeing pings.

Deleted
    Most players don't know how much time you have to spend looking for pings. They also don't know whether or not you can read the chat at that moment or saw the player leaving lane.
    The pings are really convenient to use. To me at least, it's way easier to ping a MIA than to write it. Same goes for warning pings. You see the enemy jungler near top lane? I would just ping a warning because if i would type it, the jungler would propably be already there (depending on how close he was).
    You also directly see where it was pinged. Sure for MIA that's not that important if the person would have wrote "mid mia", but for warnings (enemy jungler?) it's really useful.

Though it annoys me, if someone is pinging "fall back" during a fight.
    Especially if I am already retreating. But I would take that any day over no pings at all.

Overall I think actually looking at the chat would cost more time than keeping an eye on the minimap (something you should be doing anyways). But that's obviously for every player to decide. If you have a problem with pings, tell your team in advance, they can't know. Most likely they are only trying to help.

Okay... I missed your last sentence before. Why make a thread you are never going to look at? Doesn't that kinda defy the idea of a forum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandragon, one piece of advice:

Start internalising, instead of blaming every single thing on someone else. If a single ping causes you to lose lane... work out what you could've done to win regardless of that. You can not control other people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I'm going to get this off my chest. I'm sure someone it classify this as "should be in rant thread" but I wanna make sure ppl will see it. Anjd I know someone will come in this thread to insult me, so don't bother. I'm posting this then forgetting it.

To the point:
    PINGING DOES NOT SAVE SOMEONE IN A FIGHT

I just played a game as GP top like I always do. Like usual the enemy top chooses Rumble. I have never lost against Rumble until now. Why? Cause my jungler pinged me. The ping caused me to look at my map to see if he was gankiing, which caused the Rumble to hit me with his slow. Someone I dodged for 10 mins until that ping. The result was Rumble killing me, getting first blood, and me not being able to regain control of my lane, and him zoning me.

Ofc the team blames me for the loss we had, and reports me. Even though they all would run in 1v3+ against the enemy team and die.

Since the new ping system was implemented I have seen an increase in people who think pings are magical. You run into a bush, 3 enemies are there. Suddenly someone on your team floods the screen with pings like a magical Ping Fairy will swoop down and save you. IT DOESNT! It just distracts the person youre pinging.

And another point I would like to mention. The MIA ping is not calling MIA. This game has had an infestation of people over pinging, or pinging for the hell of it. Resulting in most players ignoring pings until a certain time. It's easier and safer for someone to see you said MIA or SS in chat, it's easier to discern from the short sentence, and in a generalized spot easier to see at a glance. If someone doesn't look at the minimap right as you ping(i.e dodging skill shots, or getting cs) then they will miss it and have to read the long sentence in chat of the pinger, and what he pinged. This will result in missed cs, or being hit by skillshots.

Ok..I'm done. AS I said, I know some of you will come in here, read just to the sentence of my last game, then insult me. So I won't be returning to this thread.
    Let me get this straight. You lost lane, because you looked at your minimap? Do you not look at your minimap at all?

Do you know why junglers will ping your lane? Because people don't look at the minimap, and don't see the gank coming. If you're not checking your minimap every 2-5 seconds, you're probably doing something wrong.

This is why you rely on people saying "mia". You have little-to-no map awareness. If you think one ping lost you your lane, then...

Deleted
    That, or just because this is the most hilarious flame I've seen in weeks.

Infracted. Please don't post to insult other users. - Axethor
    Last edited by Axethor; 2013-05-09 at 07:24 PM.

Actually MIA ping means the lane is missing... it states it in the chat as well as shows you a HUGE question mark on the minimap.
    What planet do you live on? I haven't seen anyone saying ss since the pings were implemented.

Deleted
    buddy, if you lose your lane due to getting hit by a slow cause you were looking at the minimap, you've got bigger problems

Deleted
    This is taking the Elo hell concept to a whole 'nother level. Holy smokes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    "I should actually be diamond, I´m just bronze because all these damn junglers keep pinging."

I was going to post my frustrations about people whom spam pings while 5 people are chasing you and you are obviously running, until I went down to post and saw this and decided I should probably read more than the first few lines as I figured it was just an example on people spamming pings.

"Ok..I'm done. AS I said, I know some of you will come in here, read just to the sentence of my last game, then insult me. So I won't be returning to this thread." <-- your example pretty much describes what type of player you are in a nutshell, so don't really have to know much more past this one game..
    so, pretty much what Siva said..

coincidentally, I'm now probably going to say this as a joke to my friends when I lose vs a rumble. yes, i'm a terrible person
    Last edited by Acry; 2013-05-09 at 05:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeh View Post
    I was going to post my frustrations about people whom spam pings while 5 people are chasing you and you are obviously running, until I went down to post and saw this and decided I should probably read more than the first few lines as I figured it was just an example on people spamming pings.

"Ok..I'm done. AS I said, I know some of you will come in here, read just to the sentence of my last game, then insult me. So I won't be returning to this thread." <-- your example pretty much describes what type of player you are in a nutshell, so don't really have to know much more past this one game..
    so, pretty much what Siva said..

coincidentally, I'm now probably going to say this as a joke to my friends when I lose vs a rumble. yes, i'm a terrible person
    yeah it's already been used as a joke a few times for us

Infracted. Please don't post to insult other users. - Axethor
    Last edited by Axethor; 2013-05-09 at 07:28 PM.

yeah it's already been used as a joke a few times for us
    coincidentally, I was against a rumble as draven top right after and he quit when I killed him three times. My friends were pinging me, aswell Their mid trolled him out of the game for losing to me and they suggested we report both of them at the end of the game lol

So, I jungle and I keep a eye on everything going on. I know whose missing, whose in what lane, and just about anything important is known to me. If anything it's the jungler's job to ping the map to keep people aware since they will most likely have a better eye because they have to. Now there are three people out there,

1. Well...the OP, they apparently can't manage to look at a map to save their life and then blame the death on someone else.
    2. People who are oblivious to pings, you're chasing someone through the jungle and the support and adc can cut them off and get a kill. You ping ahead, a couple times in fact, and the support comes running. The adc though...they happen to be standing in lane mindlessly shooting minions, already a bad move, and don't understand why you're angry at them.
    3. People who can watch the map, don't really need pings but they are still helpful. These people have learned map awareness and how to properly play the game, at least to some extent.
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing. Majority of this topic belongs in the rant thread. It has also devolved to petty insults already.