Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mage vs Warlock in Pve

I just went back to the game with a mage at lvl 90 and a warlock. I really want to raid, but I also want like you know the strongest class.
    Which one pull ahead and have the best mobility?

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as pure numbers go with BiS gear I believe Arcane mage wins the "top possible dps" battle.

For mobility I am not 100% sure because I haven't played my mage in sometime so I am not a good source on the matter.

Deleted
    im always fighting in raid with the warlock for best dps but warlock out dps me like most of the time and i have better gear. so i would say that warlock is stronger then mage.

Please, choice a class because of playstyle and not something that might change every few months.....

Today warlocks might be better tomorrow mages and next week rogues, if your going to choice a class because X is better then your not really going to play a class longer then a 3 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now in current tier, locks are doing extremely well overall. Mages are great for some fights but horrible for others. I play a mage but am telling you to play your lock for the best chance of being useful and doing well.

Deleted
    Locks have more mobility with KC. Although you have to get used to being ware of your debuff. As far as dps goes myself and our mage seem very close in similar gear. Destro locks are strong at the moment and would give you the most magey feeling spec with high mobility and strong dps in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Please, choice a class because of playstyle and not something that might change every few months.....

Today warlocks might be better tomorrow mages and next week rogues, if your going to choice a class because X is better then your not really going to play a class longer then a 3 months.
    Pretty much this! Also, what's up with this flavour of the month thing... Just play the class you enjoy more..

Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    As far as pure numbers go with BiS gear I believe Arcane mage wins the "top possible dps" battle.

For mobility I am not 100% sure because I haven't played my mage in sometime so I am not a good source on the matter.
    You are probably pulling this"top dps" idea from simcraft; the problem is that simcraft is not a tool to compare DPS across classes. Each spec has its own degree of accuracy so dont really trust it for a ranking of best dps. All mage specs are viable this tier; however Frost starts to suffer scaling issues compared to to Arcane and Fire around 530+ ilvl.

Warlocks have much more raid utility in healthstones and portals and BR. Mages have more personal tools like blink, iceblock, invisibility, etc. I play a mage and it's VERY easy to live through just about anything a boss can do to me with the correct talent choices. Both classes are very good but you will probably hear how locks are better from most people; I tend to agree but mages are powerful in their own ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 25-man heroic, Affliction is the best of the six specs while 25-man normal sees Fire mages take over. If you're doing 10-man heroic, both Affliction and Destruction are better than the best mage spec (Fire), while Fire again wins out on 10-man normal.

In short, play what you enjoy most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proakryt View Post
    You are probably pulling this"top dps" idea from simcraft; the problem is that simcraft is not a tool to compare DPS across classes. Each spec has its own degree of accuracy so dont really trust it for a ranking of best dps. All mage specs are viable this tier; however Frost starts to suffer scaling issues compared to to Arcane and Fire around 530+ ilvl.
    You are right I was going off simcraft. It was more of an "in general" statement.

I find mages incredibly boring to play personally. So my vote along with a lot of other people is that you play what you enjoy the most and make the best of it.

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_...14/60/default/

Go to that website and click around between 10m/25m and heroic/normal depending on what u actually expect to raid. Also, swap between all parses and top 100 parses. If you want quick and easy FOTM numbers thats the easiest place to get em.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatelocker View Post
    http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_...14/60/default/

Go to that website and click around between 10m/25m and heroic/normal depending on what u actually expect to raid. Also, swap between all parses and top 100 parses. If you want quick and easy FOTM numbers thats the easiest place to get em.
    Pretty gnarly website.. acording to that shit its Unholy DK's.. lol WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    Pretty gnarly website.. acording to that shit its Unholy DK's.. lol WTF?!
    ATM unholy dk's are able to extend their super buffed dots in a similar manner as affliction locks.

i'd say warlocks win mobility wise, mages win the dps battle (if played flawless). arcane mages on the move, dont stand a chance in the dps battle tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftnberry View Post
    i'd say warlocks win mobility wise, mages win the dps battle (if played flawless). arcane mages on the move, dont stand a chance in the dps battle tho.
    Warlocks may be able to cast while walking but I wouldn't say that warlocks win in terms of mobility.

Having something like blink-which is more flexible then portal- is much more usefull then being able to cast while walking in most dangerous raid situations.

Don't get me wrong I like the whole casting while walking thing but for raiding and I wouldn't trade it for the world but I also think that blink is a much stronger ability because it makes moving out of dangerous situations allot easier.

Warlocks may be able to cast while walking but I wouldn't say that warlocks win in terms of mobility.

Having something like blink-which is more flexible then portal- is much more usefull then being able to cast while walking in most dangerous raid situations.

Don't get me wrong I like the whole casting while walking thing but for raiding and I wouldn't trade it for the world but I also think that blink is a much stronger ability because it makes moving out of dangerous situations allot easier.
    I don't think mobility is the dealbreaker here, I think the survivability is. With nothing but my own shields and buffs, I am able to absorb 1.3M damage on my own, without any danger of even denting my health. That's imo the punchline. It makes blink unnecessary, if I can moonwalk through the fire and acid and not even be grazed.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Dat moonwalking warlock yo +1

Deleted

Yes, Blink is great and pretty much the main thing I miss after switching to Lock. But it doesn't make up for everything else the Lock has over the Mage (also in terms of class identity, fun, spec difference, ...). Being able to cast while moving, not having to think about it everytime you have to move for two steps...

Engineering can make up for Blink somewhat with Nitro Boost, Burning Rush is also great. For me, the lower mobility on the Mage frustrated and annoyed me far more than the lack of Blink does on the Lock.

As far as the topic goes - have to agree with the play what you want, what's fun, that's the most important thing. If you play well you can get a lot out of pretty much every class, unless you play at world top 100 level that shouldn't be the main consideration.

I switched to Lock because the Mage was just no fun at all anymore. Arcane was never fun, and it's being worked over and over every second major patch, and they just don't give up on the not very convincing or fun mana management theme. And it's the most immobile spec. Frost was ok but will always be plagued by balancing PvP and PvE and it's not scaling well, or rather you will hit the soft caps sooner or later. So if you wanna raid heroic you pretty much *have* to go Fire at some point. And then you're in RNG hell. Even with a decent amount of crit you can just have bad luck one time and your DPS will tank. Then there's other considerations, like the weak class identity imho, the specs being too similar and overall not fun, and and and ... And yes, the fact that I played the Mage for 7 years probably also played into my boredom with the class.

I didn't switch to Lock because it's stronger than Mage, although I think they are in most cases, but because I'm more interested in the class at this point (have been for years but always liked the Mage enough not to switch).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    Dat moonwalking warlock yo +1
    I seriously almost began to cry I was laughing so hard on at this.. I'd like to toss a couple of Internets your way for pure comedy gold.

On topic though, Lock mobility especially as aff is >mage. Ice blocking in the middle of something doesn't help when the whole raid has to shift somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikdru View Post
    I just went back to the game with a mage at lvl 90 and a warlock. I really want to raid, but I also want like you know the strongest class.
    Which one pull ahead and have the best mobility?
    Did you go to the Mage forums and ask the same thing? Seems like you came here looking for the answer you want. That said, go with a Mage. Everyone and their brother is rerolling locks now.