Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I would spend a little more $$ in a better SSD. Push it to a Samsung PRO 840 256GB or even a 512GB. Once you tap into the 256GB+ youll get higher READ/WRITE speeds than the 128GB.

I personally have the EVGA GTX670 4GB w/ backplate. I love it coming form a GTX580 3GB. Its not necessary, in your case, I would drop back to the GTX 670 2GB and put the extra coin in for a better SSD.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    But the 770 is just going to be a rebranded 680, and we all know how little of a difference there is between the 670 and 680 right now. :P

Really, if one is going for Nvidia, it doesn't matter what card you get now or in the future unless one plans on buying the $500+ 780.
    From what I have read (haven't seen) the GTX 770 will be 20-25% faster then the 670 which I think it's worth the wait especially since it will get better over time with patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi View Post
    I would spend a little more $$ in a better SSD. Push it to a Samsung PRO 840 256GB or even a 512GB. Once you tap into the 256GB+ youll get higher READ/WRITE speeds than the 128GB.
    I havent had problem with Read/Write times in the past.. with plain old HDD's i think the difference an SSD will make will be enough for me. Do you have a source for that data btw? I would love to read it.

I personally have the EVGA GTX670 4GB w/ backplate. I love it coming form a GTX580 3GB. Its not necessary, in your case, I would drop back to the GTX 670 2GB and put the extra coin in for a better SSD.
    I will most likely end up with a 4GB or more card because that is what I want. And I know a few years down the road i wont worry about my GPU being the first thing to upgrade. I will be seriously looking into the 700 series upon release

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a ton of sources about higher SSD's having faster read/write times but its not noticeable enough to matter also the more you fill your ssd drive it does start to slow down some as well.

When cards are released does EVGA already have there superclocked cards at launch?

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/p...dc=MZ-7PD512BW

As a result of the increased cache memory going form the 128GB to both the 256GB & 512GB, the read and write speeds are increased. As Skar said, probably not noticable going from a 128GB to a 256GB or 512GB. If used as an OS drive, your boot time will be about a second faster and shutdown time would be about 2-3 seconds faster. I know there are some comparison charts that also show the different of the two speeds are when DL'ing larger files and what not.

In the end, if you've got the cash, you'll benefit getting into atleast a 256GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the end, if you've got the cash, you'll benefit getting into atleast a 256GB.
    Makes sense i suppose, thanks for the reference. When the time comes I'll see where the prices are at and what not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    When cards are released does EVGA already have there superclocked cards at launch?
    usually they do. (or give or take a few weeks , my titan SC edition was released 2 weeks later iirc)

as for the Vram 2Gb might be not enough to max stuff out. (talking ridiculous amounts of aa and alike) it will provide no better fps compared to a 4Gb or bigger one for just gaming. (pocket that money and invest in a 780 instead tbh)
    also for ssd's for longetivity and best performance MLC ssd is the way to go. (most people are computer enthusiants anyway around here)

As a result of the increased cache memory going form the 128GB to both the 256GB & 512GB, the read and write speeds are increased.
    It really isn't the cache that improves times. I may be technically incorrect but the gist of what I'm going to say should still apply. SSDs are made of a battery of flash memory modules. The bigger drive you have, the more flash modules you have (generally). Since there are more modules, the controller is able to make more simultaneous reads/writes to the drive, netting the higher throughput.

Not sure if that is absolutely correct, but there is more parallelism in larger drives, so they have faster rates than their smaller counterparts.

Additionally, don't get the 840 Pro edition, get the plain 840. It is unlikely you'll benefit from the better write times, read times are about the same for both Pro and regular, and the regular 250 GB is currently $55 cheaper than the Pro edition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    (pocket that money and invest in a 780 instead tbh)
    I think this is what i am going to do.. i mean who doesn't want a TITAN LE I don't know how my wife will feel about this but.. its easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission haha