Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ Worth it?

As the title suggests i was looking for a little help/advice/opinions about the EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4gb

What i want to know overall is if this card is worth the extra money for the factory overclocking or if the base GTX 670 would be just as viable to overclock myself. I am not completely new to OC'ing but I'm no pro. I think i could handle it and what not. Does anyone either have this card or know somebody with it? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    i had that exact card before i got my current one.
    in general factory overclocks only matter to people who can't/don't want to overclokc themselves.
    better question would be do you really need a 4Gb Vram card?

10+ Year Old Account
    "really need" is a loose term hahah

I am currently on the last deployment of my naval career and as a gift to myself I am building a tasty gaming rig. I will be playing WoW, Lol and some BF3 along with SC2... probably don't need it to run all of that on ultra but I want the rig to have no problems with any of it and to actually last me a few years or more with little to no difficulty with newer games.

Deleted
    well games only in very rare cases or very high resolutions use more then 2Gb of Vram. (think crysis 3 maxed out was around 2,5-3 Gb for me on current card iirc)
    if not used for simulations/custom mods for textures you will see no differance between a 2gb and 4gb card.
    maybe you might want to wait for the 7xx which is supposed to be launched by the end of this month.
    also got a general idea of other parts for the rig yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup so far the whole thing should be.

CPU: i5-3570k 3.4Ghz
    MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    RAM: Corsair Vengance 2 x 8GB
    PWRSPLY: Corsair CX600
    CASE: COOLMASTER HAF 932
    SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB

I plan to overclock the CPU as well so i'll get an aftermarket fan as well when the time comes. I was a little worried about space but i think with the HAF i'll have plenty.

What do ya think?

Deleted
    a full tower is really really huge.
    a good midtower should be enough to fit that all and have some room to expand later on if you'd wanted to.
    also for the mobo a sabertooth is really mostly just paying extra for looks
    just create a new topic when you are done with your last deployment , there is some new stuff incoming and we'll gladly help you pick the parts around here with plenty of friendly/knownledgable people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate it and will do. I didn't plan on making any purchases for a few months knowing prices and technology changes so often.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

I currently have the GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB RAM and its amazing. I can play surround on all 3 monitors off just the 1 card without a drop in fps. However, I would wait. The 770 is going to be out in the next month and you may end up regretting buying a 670 when it does.

Also, Haswell Chips from intel should be coming out soon, might wait for the new i5. Should have a similar price with a 13% increase in performance.
    Last edited by Eon Drache; 2013-05-03 at 01:02 AM.

If you're getting EVGA, I would recommend grabbing the Signature2 edition. Uses a non-reference cooler, and your card will stay cooler/quieter. Also, 4GB vs 2GB isn't worth the upcharge (echoing other members of the forum here more so than giving my opinion), stick with 2GB.

Other brands with non-reference coolers are generally cheaper than EVGA, but I don't have any experiences with other brands aside from EVGA; I'll let other members comment about them.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I was going to get a 670 I would probably get a Asus DCII or MSI Twin Frozr something like that.
    On your build the Sabertooth is just for bragging rights I just don't think the extra "glitter" is worth it there are other boards that are cheaper and just as good.
    Case is meh as well I would rather get a Fractal Design R4,NZXT Phantom,or Bitfenix Shinobi. If you think you want a bigger case because of work room or space get a Bitfenix Shinobi XL or Corsair 650D but I'm warning you they are huge.
    Everything else seems pretty good on your build.

The only reason I got a factory OC'd card (which I actually look further) was because a lot of them come with better cooling solutions. This is my card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423. It cools a lot more effectively and quieter than my previous stock EVGA gtx 570.

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate all the tips, i have been reading up on the 700 series and I will not be making a single purchase till around 4 months from now. I have just been bored on deployment and have been researching computer bits and looking at my price range and things of that nature.

I wont need a full size tower really. And i do want to OC my CPU & GPU not only for performance but for the enthusiast in me. I want to stick with Nvidia though as i have nothing but success with them in the past. I am not personally a fan of AMD. I truly look forward to the advancements made in the near future and feel like it is a good time to be buying a nice fancy gaming rig.

I was personally looking at the 4gb evga card too just recently, I had a nice article documenting the memory usage in a bunch of games at 2560x1440. I think there was just one that used all of it, maybe crysis 3 but I cannot seem to find it again - the result being I have the 2gb card on its way. There was not a lot of benefit. Probably moot though as the 700 series is approaching, which I found out about only a few days after I threw money at my monitor. FML!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...x-670-4gb.html
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2013-05-04 at 07:37 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    I appreciate all the tips, i have been reading up on the 700 series and I will not be making a single purchase till around 4 months from now. I have just been bored on deployment and have been researching computer bits and looking at my price range and things of that nature.

I wont need a full size tower really. And i do want to OC my CPU & GPU not only for performance but for the enthusiast in me. I want to stick with Nvidia though as i have nothing but success with them in the past. I am not personally a fan of AMD. I truly look forward to the advancements made in the near future and feel like it is a good time to be buying a nice fancy gaming rig.
    Ehh 4 months from now you will be looking at the 770 instead of the 670 anyways and there is no point of looking at 670's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Ehh 4 months from now you will be looking at the 770 instead of the 670 anyways and there is no point of looking at 670's
    That's true, but knowing that (from what it seems) it isn't really worth it to get the factory OC is great to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    But the 770 is just going to be a rebranded 680, and we all know how little of a difference there is between the 670 and 680 right now. :P

Really, if one is going for Nvidia, it doesn't matter what card you get now or in the future unless one plans on buying the $500+ 780.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    That's true, but knowing that (from what it seems) it isn't really worth it to get the factory OC is great to know.
    Go with a Fractal Design mid tower... the R4 is boss. Full tower is ridiculous and WAY too big. Mid towers now a days are huge. Also like they said, drop the Sabertooth. Go with an ASRock Extreme4 board. PS, are you on the IKE?

And the comment about not looking at the 670... I don't agree, the 700 series doesn't look to impressive. I'm sure tons of people will still be looking at/buying 670s even in the next year.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    Go with a Fractal Design mid tower... the R4 is boss. Full tower is ridiculous and WAY too big. Mid towers now a days are huge. Also like they said, drop the Sabertooth. Go with an ASRock Extreme4 board. PS, are you on the IKE?
    I have replaced the full size tower with a mid tower.. ill look at the R4 i haven't yet. I have also dropped the sabertooth and i was looking at the MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA it looked decent and it has wi-fi onboard which i like.

Last no i am not on the IKE i am on the KEARSARGE sadly.. hahaha but i start terminal in just under 4 months now then its bye bye to the navy so i'm pumped about that. Are you in the navy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have replaced the full size tower with a mid tower.. ill look at the R4 i haven't yet. I have also dropped the sabertooth and i was looking at the MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA it looked decent and it has wi-fi onboard which i like.

Last no i am not on the IKE i am on the KEARSARGE sadly.. hahaha but i start terminal in just under 4 months now then its bye bye to the navy so i'm pumped about that. Are you in the navy?
    Good stuff, the R4 is what I will be building my rig in. I have never checked into that board, I will be going with an ASRock Extreme4. I'll be hooked up directly via ethernet, so not worried about WiFi. And Yep, I'm on the IKE... We are currently deployed as well... I'm itching to build my computer >.<.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    Good stuff, the R4 is what I will be building my rig in. I have never checked into that board, I will be going with an ASRock Extreme4. I'll be hooked up directly via ethernet, so not worried about WiFi. And Yep, I'm on the IKE... We are currently deployed as well... I'm itching to build my computer >.<.
    After posting i went and looked up the R4 and i must say it looks amazing..the black one anyways with the window. Not only the noise canceling foam stuff but the design of it. I really like that it's basically a (with lack of a better description) a plain black box. I think i will be getting it when i get out

I feel the same way about itching to get back and build my PC. I am getting out of the navy Oct. 28th so with terminal and having to be back 30 days prior to the begging of terminal i will hopefully be stateside at the end of august. How about you?